termite treatments?

I found some termites in my garage. They were eating a piece of lumber I had stored against an exterior wall. I have an exterminator that comes out and sprays for bugs but I don't currently have any type of a contract specific to termites. I called my exterminator and naturally they agreed to give me a free termite inspection. The guy came out and inspected my house and found no evidence of infestation beyond the stuff I found in my garage. He offered me 3 treatment options:

1. Spray the entire property and dig some sort of trench filled with termite killing chemicals. This includes drilling into the foundation and inserting chemicals. Cost $1100
    2. A Spot treatment for the garage where the termites were found (this includes the drilling/inserting as well). Bait traps installed around the house. Cost $750 and an additional $60 per quarter to come out and check the bait traps.
    3. A one time Spot treatment for the garage where the termites were found. Cost $450
    The first two options include a respray guarantee where they agree to retreat if any termites are found in treated areas in the future. It's my understanding that some other companies offer a warrantee which will cover damage to the house in the future, not just the guarantee to respray. I'm assuming I'll pay more for a treatment option with a warrantee.

Anyone have experience in this area and have any advice for me? I live in NW Raleigh and one of the things that will affect this decision is that thought that we expect to be in this house another year or two at the most. Which means that I don't necessarily need long term options but I also need for it to not be an issue when I go to sell my house.

Thanks

Get more estimates

I had similar kinds of "outrageous" estimates in Fairfax, Va. As I recall, I opted for some sort of cheap treatment that lasted for at least 13 years...and no problem with respect to selling house...

My advice. Research what finding termites really means in terms of structural damage, seriousness, etc...and whether the "outrageous" estimates of termite companies are legit. I suspect they are not in many cases.

But....certainly get several estimates...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A recommendation

Yes, get more estimates. I use Wood Pest Control in Smithfield, and they have a Clayton office that would probably cover Raleigh. 919-553-5525. They will do an initial inspection and treatment, then an annual re-inspection. They do offer a damage warranty as part of their service. The initial treatment lasts for 10 years or more but they do require the annual re-inspection. They also offer quarterly bug spraying, with free service visits if you have any problems in between sprayings. I had them come out last year when I found some ants (not fire ants) living outside my house and they "evicted" them at no additional charge.

When you go to sell your house, you definitely want it termite free.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I live in Alamance county and about 8-10 years ago a local pest company treated my home for $200.00. That included trenching around the interior and exterior of the foundation and treating the soil for with some chemical. While your estimates sound high, they're in line with numbers I heard about from the big chain pest control companies. At the same time I had my treatment, my neighbor had Terminex or Orkin treat his home, including drilling and chemical sprays for $1600.00.
    Tom Mac

go to home depot

Actually have a lot of experience on the matter of killing termites. I am on a charitable board with a guy who owns a large pest control company.

Here is his advice (this is similar to how I address the issue):

Go to home depot, buy a 2 gallon sprayer. Buy the best termite and carpenter ant killing concentrate they sell. Mix it at double strength. Spray the sh*t out along the permiter of the house. Stick the sprayer in the ground every 18 inches and let it rip for 5 seconds at a time. Spray inside around the base of the garage. Keep the sprayer and concentrate in the garage away from kids. Also Spray the outside of your house once a year. The best stuff at hd is a 7 year or so life product.

The two gallon sprayer might cost 20 bucks. The concentrate 40 bucks, and you are good to go for a few years.

Thanks for the replies guys. formerdukeathlete, I'm really tempted to take you up on that advice...if I have the guts! I should at the very least get more estimates but I doubt they will be much lower. But if they are similar and include a warantee they may be more worth it. I'll be off line for a few days (annual golf trip to Myrtle Beach) . I'll check back here when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. formerdukeathlete, I'm really tempted to take you up on that advice...if I have the guts! I should at the very least get more estimates but I doubt they will be much lower. But if they are similar and include a warantee they may be more worth it. I'll be off line for a few days (annual golf trip to Myrtle Beach) . I'll check back here when I get back.
    Having other companies look at the situation might not only produce different bids, there might even be different opinions. A second or third opinion is a good idea. I like the idea of having a locally owned company take a look and compare to the results from one of the name brand companies.

pest control warranties

Pest control is one of the highest margin businesses around. What happens - folks see some bugs, get excitedly worried, and sign up for expensive treatment plans and or warranties, maybe even tenting.

How new is your house? Your sill plate should be pressure treated even if the house is 25 years old.

Subteranean termites are the quick eaters. Drywood are much slower acting. Carpenter Ants like wet wood - leaky roof, unsealed windows situation.

It is also common in the south for furniture (antiques, especially) to have termites. You buy a piece, bring it into your house, and voila. Folks wig out and have the whole house tented.

The only place you have noticed was in a piece of wood in the garage. If you had an infestation elsewhere, you likely would see termite dirt, wings, etc.

You have a friend who is a building inspector or general contractor? These folks are pretty knowledgable about determining whether or not there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Pest control is one of the highest margin businesses around. What happens - folks see some bugs, get excitedly worried, and sign up for expensive treatment plans and or warranties, maybe even tenting.

How new is your house? Your sill plate should be pressure treated even if the house is 25 years old.

Subteranean termites are the quick eaters. Drywood are much slower acting. Carpenter Ants like wet wood - leaky roof, unsealed windows situation.

It is also common in the south for furniture (antiques, especially) to have termites. You buy a piece, bring it into your house, and voila. Folks wig out and have the whole house tented.

The only place you have noticed was in a piece of wood in the garage. If you had an infestation elsewhere, you likely would see termite dirt, wings, etc.

You have a friend who is a building inspector or general contractor? These folks are pretty knowledgable about determining whether or not there is a problem.
    We have obviously found FDA's true area of expertise! (FDA - said lovingly with tongue firmly in cheek! You know we agree on many of your favorite issues.) Seriously, all your advise is good, although I personally don't want to mess with toxic chemicals if I don't have to. And the perceived value of the protection warranty is probably, maybe, worth it.

New homes should have been pre-treated before the first sale. Not knew homes should also have been inspected and treated (at some time) before going on the market. Elvis14 should check his original paperwork and see who treated the home before he bought it (the form should be buried in the stack of closing papers somewhere) and see if he can extend the coverage for only the annual renewal fee and not the full treatment price.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

1. Spray the entire property and dig some sort of trench filled with termite killing chemicals. This includes drilling into the foundation and inserting chemicals. Cost $1100
    2. A Spot treatment for the garage where the termites were found (this includes the drilling/inserting as well). Bait traps installed around the house. Cost $750 and an additional $60 per quarter to come out and check the bait traps.
    3. A one time Spot treatment for the garage where the termites were found. Cost $450
    The first two options include a respray guarantee where they agree to retreat if any termites are found in treated areas in the future. It's my understanding that some other companies offer a warrantee which will cover damage to the house in the future, not just the guarantee to respray. I'm assuming I'll pay more for a treatment option with a warrantee.
    Mind you, I am not a termite expert, but we did have a bad experience with option #1. The guy had to be on commission because he told us how bad the termites were in our basement, how nothing else would work except that perimeter system, etc. etc. We signed a contract to have the work done, then after some more research on my part, reneged. The termite guy then morphed into a stalker, leaving his cards on our door every day, and all but cussing me out on the phone for breaking the contract. (way to sell that sale, buddy!)

So personally, I think that whole system is a bunch of garbage, especially because it "requires" drilling into your foundation. Get a second opinion (we did, and what do you know! He found no termite damage at all) and then evaluate from there.

Also, UK (yes, I know... just hold your nose and click!) has a terrific site about termites: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef604.asp

thanks, and comment about the perimeter "bait" system

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We have obviously found FDA's true area of expertise! (FDA - said lovingly with tongue firmly in cheek! You know we agree on many of your favorite issues.) Seriously, all your advise is good, although I personally don't want to mess with toxic chemicals if I don't have to. And the perceived value of the protection warranty is probably, maybe, worth it.

New homes should have been pre-treated before the first sale. Not knew homes should also have been inspected and treated (at some time) before going on the market. Elvis14 should check his original paperwork and see who treated the home before he bought it (the form should be buried in the stack of closing papers somewhere) and see if he can extend the coverage for only the annual renewal fee and not the full treatment price.
    Ozzie, Thanks for the props, man. just some more fun reading for the troops - termites, now that is a pleasant subject!

Yes, one would want to be careful about the chemicals. One of the products sold in concentrate by home depot is also marketed nationally and advertised. I would think, hope that if one were pretty careful, not drinking the stuff or getting in your eyes or on your skin too much, that it would be fairly un-risky. One certainly wants to protect ones family. Stuff would need to be out of reach from children, etc.

The bait system...designed to see if you have subteranean termites...these were just blocks of pine wood. Guy would come out and check them a couple of times a year as part of a prevention plan / warranty. But no spraying. Why not just spray, as long as within the realm of safety, etc., and the sub. termites will stay away.

Sorry I haven't responded in a while. Went on vacation down to Myrtle to play a little golf and not care about things like termites. Since I haven't thought about it I haven't made any decisions either. I do need to find the original paperwork and see if/who treated it when the house was built in 2001. I also don't mind getting a second opinion if for anything else to gather more information to make a good decision. blublood thanks for the informational link. Once I get my brain working again this week, I'll figure out what to do.

The aardwolf eats termites.

Now I have four termite adds on the top of my page. Very strange.