Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I was hoping to be part of "Chunnel" instead...

Wink Are YOU from Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Jumbo is on a strange, erotic jersey from Milan to Minsk.
    On a strange, erotic JERSEY??

Which exit is THAT?

Jumbo's identity

Everyone knows that Jumbo is Pat Summitt. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    On a strange, erotic JERSEY??

Which exit is THAT?
    Ha!

I didn't realize I'd written that until just now.

I was reading some info on Cory Booker about the time I wrote that post, so that's probably why I did that. Crap.

I'm just glad Juise got the reference.

Jumbo and watzone

I tried to PM you both recently on some recruiting issues but had trouble doing so. New computer, new service, etc. I'll try to get it rectified asap. Fun reading this thread, though. DBR's certainly changed in the last year or two. Only thing that hasn't changed is that I hate the off-season. GO DUKE!!

this thread is still going?

amazing...

shh...don't tell the feds

I heard he's really D.B. Cooper.

Everyone has the right to their opinion. I just might not like that opinion. That's what makes messages boards fun. If everyone thought the same it sure would be boring on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Beaton View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to get this debate (about a debate) going again. I was just taking issue with the comment that I was "p*ssing" down my leg in fear.
    Hi Greg,

I think most DBR posters would have taken issue with such a comment being said about them. I didn't think it was in good taste and saw no reason for it.

Best regards,
    Jeffrey

Debate

I am Publius.

On a serious note, this thread has been excellent. I hope Mike and Watzone will continue to opine on this topic.

Do the ideas contained in the Federalist Papers have more credibility if we know, for instance, that some were written by Alexander Hamilton or James Madison? Does the answer to this question change over time? For instance, when the papers were first published, would the identity of the authors have increased the credibility of the ideas therein? What about as a historical document?

This topic has actually forced me to think about these issues, albeit without any resolution.

Please keep up this discourse, I have enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    I am Publius.

On a serious note, this thread has been excellent. I hope Mike and Watzone will continue to opine on this topic.

Do the ideas contained in the Federalist Papers have more credibility if we know, for instance, that some were written by Alexander Hamilton or James Madison? Does the answer to this question change over time? For instance, when the papers were first published, would the identity of the authors have increased the credibility of the ideas therein? What about as a historical document?

This topic has actually forced me to think about these issues, albeit without any resolution.

Please keep up this discourse, I have enjoyed it.
    Visit the Pubilc Policy boards for similarly thought-provoking discussion. Might need to start an independent "credibility of anonymous vs. identified sources" thread...

identity

Maybe we should make a poll to determine Jumbo's true identity. I'd be satisfied with a democratically determined identity.

how about everyone give their best (legit) guess?

Arrow Juice

If you rearrange the letters in "Jumbo", you get "OJ Bum". We all know OJ Simpson is a real bum, including OJ himself at this point. OJ is also a very big guy (just try to put regular sized gloves on him). Therefore, my guess is that Jumbo is in fact OJ Simpson.

hah! clever.

my educated guess is Seth Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Might need to start an independent "credibility of anonymous vs. identified sources" thread...
    While acknowledging StrayGator's point, I think a case could be made that credibility is actually increased by being anonymous, in that your points would have to stand on their own merit rather than being propped up by the reputation of the author.

As an example, look at the Bobby Flay show "Throwdown." (For those not familiar with the show, Bobby finds somebody who is recognized as an great cook of a certain type of food, say, for example, chicken cacciatore. Then he makes his own recipe of chicken cacciatore, and there is a cook-off.) In the end, the judges are always blinded to which dish was cooked by Flay and which by the competitor. Doesn't this make sense? Wouldn't a judge be likely to be biased toward the dish created by a professional chef with a worldwide reputation if he/she knew that Flay had cooked it? The answer to which dish is better is IN THE DISH ITSELF, not in its creator. The same holds true for an argument or a discussion about any topic whatsoever. If you really know more about basketball than somebody else, SHOW it to me, don't TELL it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    While acknowledging StrayGator's point, I think a case could be made that credibility is actually increased by being anonymous, in that your points would have to stand on their own merit rather than being propped up by the reputation of the author.

As an example, look at the Bobby Flay show "Throwdown." (For those not familiar with the show, Bobby finds somebody who is recognized as an great cook of a certain type of food, say, for example, chicken cacciatore. Then he makes his own recipe of chicken cacciatore, and there is a cook-off.) In the end, the judges are always blinded to which dish was cooked by Flay and which by the competitor. Doesn't this make sense? Wouldn't a judge be likely to be biased toward the dish created by a professional chef with a worldwide reputation if he/she knew that Flay had cooked it? The answer to which dish is better is IN THE DISH ITSELF, not in its creator. The same holds true for an argument or a discussion about any topic whatsoever. If you really know more about basketball than somebody else, SHOW it to me, don't TELL it to me.
    I completely agree. I never understood the relevance of Beaton's request for Jumbo's identity in the first place. Beaton later explained that it was in response to Jumbo calling him a coward, but Jumbo provided further classification on that point. Beaton himself seems to agree that the identity of Jumbo is not really the issue, but I'm not sure whether he agreed with the clarification Jumbo provided on the coward remark. The issue here is whether Beaton actually agrees with Jumbo's clarification of the "coward" comment to the point that he'd reconsider the debate. I, for one, would find it interesting...

Could we please let this die? Pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Could we please let this die? Pretty please?
    Whatever you say Wojo.

This thread is really making me laugh! There are some very funny posters here at DBR.