Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Official GTAIV thread

Since the Official WoW thread was being totally hijacked by Grand Theft Auto IV discussions, it's probably appropriate to give the new Rockstar release a thread of its own.

My preorder has been in to Amazon for well over a year, and I've been waiting for this game for even longer than that. Counting the days until the 29th.

Who else is buying? The odds makers think this may be the largest opening week for any form of media, beating out the last Pirates of the Caribbean.

i am

i have had this on preorder for a long time as well and since my b-day is the day after the release, I know how i will be celebrating, luckily I am off for work... hey billy i have been reading about all of the online multiplayer modes on gta4...we got to get some people together from the board... with what is said over 100 hours of single player gameplay and with online multiplayer, i hope to squeeze some time in for my wife...

I have been putting off purchasing the PS3 until the GTAIV release. I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox so I can also play GT5 if it's ever released.
    Any suggestions on buying a PS3? I think the 40GB version is the best value right now, anyone tried adding a bigger drive? For some reason I can't understand, it looks like the 20GB is priced higher online than the 40GB; what's up with that? Smaller supply? More robust hardware?
    Have there been any hardware problems in general? Should I buy a service plan?

Quote Originally Posted by bbar7502 View Post
    i have had this on preorder for a long time as well and since my b-day is the day after the release, I know how i will be celebrating, luckily I am off for work... hey billy i have been reading about all of the online multiplayer modes on gta4...we got to get some people together from the board... with what is said over 100 hours of single player gameplay and with online multiplayer, i hope to squeeze some time in for my wife...
    Maybe we should create a separate thread for GTAIV widows. My wife is already bracing herself.

The multiplayer modes sound awesome. I'm definitely in for some DBR GTA smackdowns once I have some time to explore the game.

It comes out the day before my birthday. I'm getting the PS3 version instead of the 360.

Quote Originally Posted by pigs2k1 View Post
    I have been putting off purchasing the PS3 until the GTAIV release. I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox so I can also play GT5 if it's ever released.
    Any suggestions on buying a PS3? I think the 40GB version is the best value right now, anyone tried adding a bigger drive? For some reason I can't understand, it looks like the 20GB is priced higher online than the 40GB; what's up with that? Smaller supply? More robust hardware?
    Have there been any hardware problems in general? Should I buy a service plan?
    The 20 gig still has the emotion engine chipset for the PS2 so its fully compatible with all PS2 games (which is good for me because I have...lets just say a lot). I bought the 20 gig version off of eBay for about $330 last year, now that it and the 60 gig version are no longer in production, they are fetching higher prices online.

If you have no interest in playing PS2 games on your PS3, then the 40 gig is the way to go. There is a rumor that Sony is going to make PS2 games downloadable so there would need to be an emulator patch making them playable on the 40 gig models (and thus the disc based PS2 games would work as well).The hard drive is upgradeable with any standard hard disk based hard drive you can get at Best Buy for a PC. I plan on changing mine but the only thing I don't know is how to tranfer the info from one Hard drive to the next. I don't have any room in my PC to install another hard drive for transfer purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    It comes out the day before my birthday. I'm getting the PS3 version instead of the 360.
    Do you have a 360? If you do, I strongly recommend the 360 version as it will have exclusive downloadable content (new missions, quite possibly new regions or cities).

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Do you have a 360? If you do, I strongly recommend the 360 version as it will have exclusive downloadable content (new missions, quite possibly new regions or cities).
    Why would the only do downloadable content for the 360? PS3 is fully capable of downloading updates (add on packs, new maps, etc). Im preparing for more lost productivity at home as soon as the new maps are released at the end of the month for COD4 on PS3. Have they stated the add ons will be only for the 360? I can see the people at Microsoft stating that, but only to try and bolster sales.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    Why would the only do downloadable content for the 360? PS3 is fully capable of downloading updates (add on packs, new maps, etc). Im preparing for more lost productivity at home as soon as the new maps are released at the end of the month for COD4 on PS3. Have they stated the add ons will be only for the 360? I can see the people at Microsoft stating that, but only to try and bolster sales.
    I can see there being exclusive add-on for a particular console for a brief period, but it would be ridiculously stupid for Rockstar to make the exclusivity permanent, especially if both games cost the same amount. The only exclusive content that companies get away with is if there is a clear technical superiority in one console (e.g. there are some features of Splinter Cell: Double Agent that is available on {PS3, 360, Windows}, but not on {PS2, Xbox, Wii}). If there is some 360-only exclusive features, I'd imagine those features would eventually be moved over to the PS3 version - maybe 6 months? 1 year?

Having said all that, I'm stuck with getting the PS3 version, since GT5 is a PS3-exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I can see there being exclusive add-on for a particular console for a brief period, but it would be ridiculously stupid for Rockstar to make the exclusivity permanent, especially if both games cost the same amount. The only exclusive content that companies get away with is if there is a clear technical superiority in one console (e.g. there are some features of Splinter Cell: Double Agent that is available on {PS3, 360, Windows}, but not on {PS2, Xbox, Wii}). If there is some 360-only exclusive features, I'd imagine those features would eventually be moved over to the PS3 version - maybe 6 months? 1 year?

Having said all that, I'm stuck with getting the PS3 version, since GT5 is a PS3-exclusive.
    Yeah, it may well be limited time exclusivity, but nothing official has been announced for the PS3. I suspect Microsoft chipped in a chunk of cash to win this arrangement from Rockstar.

yeah they paid 50 million for it....so it should at least be a year...

Just to get myself even more geeked up, here's an interview with Rockstar's art director about the level of detail in Liberty City.

In addition to the article I just linked, IGN will be updating this page all week. We're so, so close.

this is all about the online multiplayer... i will be playing this for a long time...
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868607p1.html

The downloadable content will most likely be downloadable missions as opposed to fully realized new areas (it would be a large download if so) but you never know. They might be able to add a neighborhood, but I'm expecting mission, new cars and other vehicles. The DLC is reputed to be about 10 hrs worth of content. Since the game is already supposed to have 100 hrs of content anyway, I think I'll be okay with the PS3 version and there still exists the possibility that the system will get its own DLC for GTA somewhere down the line.

Speaking of DLC, I still need to get the "Bring Down the Sky" mission for Mass Effect.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Just to get myself even more geeked up, here's an interview with Rockstar's art director about the level of detail in Liberty City.
    The Statue of Happiness? Hilarious.

Pretty annoying that content will be limited on PS3, not that Sony doesn't have it coming to them for HD-DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    The downloadable content will most likely be downloadable missions as opposed to fully realized new areas (it would be a large download if so) but you never know. They might be able to add a neighborhood, but I'm expecting mission, new cars and other vehicles. The DLC is reputed to be about 10 hrs worth of content. Since the game is already supposed to have 100 hrs of content anyway, I think I'll be okay with the PS3 version and there still exists the possibility that the system will get its own DLC for GTA somewhere down the line.

Speaking of DLC, I still need to get the "Bring Down the Sky" mission for Mass Effect.
    This is the source for my rumor. I'm skeptical, but it would sure be nice.

If the PS3 comes out with unique DLC at some point, I would consider getting a PS3 just so I could experience it all. Is that compulsive behavior? Don't answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    The Statue of Happiness? Hilarious.
    That's one of my favorite aspects of GTA titles: the humor is the best in the gaming world.

I was really impressed with that piece. The art people were crazy -- they used census data for boroughs of New York to make sure the ethnic mix of pedestrians in different areas was authentic? That's nuts.

I wonder how close to real NY it will be? In other words, since I know my way around the city, will that help? I know they said it wasn't a brick by brick recreation... I wish it was

Oh... and stupid locked areas... I hate that. Just let me drive around the whole damn city from the start pls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I wonder how close to real NY it will be? In other words, since I know my way around the city, will that help? I know they said it wasn't a brick by brick recreation... I wish it was

Oh... and stupid locked areas... I hate that. Just let me drive around the whole damn city from the start pls.
    Yeah, I've heard it's really, really close to the real city. It may not be brick by brick, but I expect to be able to find my way around NYC much better after playing this for a few hundred hours. (side note: a co-worker was lost in Oakland last year and navigated his way to the airport using navigational cues learned from playing San Andreas).