Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Official WoW thread

OK, I'll throw it out there. I won't be ashamed or embarassed.

Anyone else on here play WoW? Surely there has to be some other people, just based on statistics.

What servers do you play on? What 70 toons you got? Which are the best and why? Anyone raid much? What's your progression?

My main (and only 70) is a human paladin on Dalaran. My guild downed Vashj before 2.4, but haven't gotten to Kael yet. Still, we moved onto Hyjal and Black Temple where we've downed the first boss of each. So not the fastest guild in the world, but at least everyone's mature and respectful, but also fun to hang out with on vent.

Either you understood all that or got none of it - either way you probably think I'm a huge dork now and you're probably correct.

let me be the first to say...

nerd!

seriously, i don't play any mmorpg, which puts me in the minority at work. i don't understand how people have time for these games, i already don't have time to play all my Wii and PS2 games.

I checked it out a while back but haven't touched it in a long time. I played back when my 60 (also a pally) was the highest I could go. These days, I can barely remember what the gameplay was like but may need to delve into it more as I'm doing research on MMOGs at work. There are a few other ones coming out in the near future, including Warhammer, which I probably need to check out for work. I just don't have the time to mess around with them anymore, though.

Anyone who wants to recommend other MMOGs in general, please do so. I've probably heard of most of them but I'm always interested in more perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    nerd!

seriously, i don't play any mmorpg, which puts me in the minority at work. i don't understand how people have time for these games, i already don't have time to play all my Wii and PS2 games.
    I don't have any consoles to play on at the moment. Actually, the only two I've ever owned were NES and N64 - but I have no problem playing old games over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I don't have any consoles to play on at the moment. Actually, the only two I've ever owned were NES and N64 - but I have no problem playing old games over and over and over again.
    So what will you do next week when all anyone is talking about is GTA4? The estimate is that it will sell $400MM worth of games in the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    So what will you do next week when all anyone is talking about is GTA4? The estimate is that it will sell $400MM worth of games in the first week.
    GTA4 + GT5 = I'll be handling over a bucket full of cash to my Sony overlords Probably not immediately as I have other expenses this year (ahem pregnant wife), most likely when the real GT5 comes out sometime in 2009... or 2010

I have never been in a rush to buy the latest and greatest games and/or consoles. I'll happily play some more WoW and maybe an old 8 or 16 bit RPG on emulator while everyone is going crazy over GTA (I've never played any of them).

I've already put my $60 towards it. As I said a few weeks ago, I've never waited for any pop culture release with as much anticipation as GTAIV. Just over a week to go!

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I have never been in a rush to buy the latest and greatest games and/or consoles. I'll happily play some more WoW and maybe an old 8 or 16 bit RPG on emulator while everyone is going crazy over GTA (I've never played any of them).
    GTA has all the elements I loved in old school RPGs (such as my first love, the Ultima series). The wide open game world and non-linear play, in particular, are RPG hallmarks.

I got hugely addicted to WoW for a month in early 2006, and I was forced to go cold turkey. I've forced myself to avoid it ever since.

It was consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    GTA has all the elements I loved in old school RPGs (such as my first love, the Ultima series). The wide open game world and non-linear play, in particular, are RPG hallmarks.
    I read in an article (linked from Digg, I dont remember where exactly) that while the map of GTA4 will be smaller than GTA:SA, it will have more content - there won't be empty desert like in SA, and by someone's estimate, it will take 30 minutes (I *think*) of game play to get from one end of the map to another in GTA4. Very excited, too bad I won't play it for a while :-p

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I read in an article (linked from Digg, I dont remember where exactly) that while the map of GTA4 will be smaller than GTA:SA, it will have more content - there won't be empty desert like in SA, and by someone's estimate, it will take 30 minutes (I *think*) of game play to get from one end of the map to another in GTA4. Very excited, too bad I won't play it for a while :-p
    I know! I have a beta release the day of the GTA release. So painful!

There are rumors that the DLC will add whole cities to the gameplay, not just new missions. If that's the case, we should get a year or more out of the GTA IV platform.

I know! I have a beta release the day of the GTA release. So painful!

There are rumors that the DLC will add whole cities to the gameplay, not just new missions. If that's the case, we should get a year or more out of the GTA IV platform.
    Aack, if that's true I wonder which console is best to buy it on? I have the 360 and the PS3 and was planning on getting it for the 360, largely because my wife hates it when my video games make the Blu-ray player break.

Aack, if that's true I wonder which console is best to buy it on? I have the 360 and the PS3 and was planning on getting it for the 360, largely because my wife hates it when my video games make the Blu-ray player break.
    360, as it has exclusive downloadable content coming at some point in the future.

BTW, apologies for hijacking the WoW thread. I'll create a GTAIV thread.

360, as it has exclusive downloadable content coming at some point in the future.

BTW, apologies for hijacking the WoW thread. I'll create a GTAIV thread.
    Good, and get a mod to move all these worthless GTA posts over there too

I used to play religiously all the way until the expansion came out. I had to quit because it made my grades drop a ton. I had a 60 priest and 60 rogue when I was playing on Azgalor with the guild Infiniti. I raided with the priest, and raided like 4 nights a week...it was pretty intense, but we were a really good guild, and it was a lot of fun. If I had more time, I would definently get back into it, but I know that I would get out of control again if I picked it back up.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

i hate WoW

I've lost my family to that game. My wife and stepkids are all addicted, their day revolves around it. I'm looking forward to the day their PC blows up.

I've been WoW'n since Nov 2004. I have 3 horde toons (#1 Pally 70, #2 Hunter 70 & #3 Druid 60) on the Draenor server. I've been playing with the same guildmates since early 2005 though I don't play nearly as much as I did in first 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBisonDevil View Post
    I've been WoW'n since Nov 2004. I have 3 horde toons (#1 Pally 70, #2 Hunter 70 & #3 Druid 60) on the Draenor server. I've been playing with the same guildmates since early 2005 though I don't play nearly as much as I did in first 2 years.
    You raid or pvp or just run around randomly with them? =)

I've stayed away. I didn't like having to pay every month for a game that I had already paid for. Plus, I knew I'd get addicted. I love the Warcraft games. The Starcraft series gets updated in the next year or so with Starcraft II.

What would some of you more experienced WoW players suggest to someone who is considering it?