Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

O Danica, we stand on guard for thee

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I understand why women typically can't compete with men in most sports. There is a strength/size factor that just really makes it impossible for women to compete at the highest level with men.

However, I have never understood why women typically don't compete with men at the highest level of auto racing. I know there is a grueling mental aspect to a race, but there is no difference (that I know of) in powers of concentration. It is also physically grueling to race, but it is more of a drain on the body than a requirement for brute strength or speed.

I think Danica would rather people not say "this is momentous, a woman has won an Indy race." Instead, I would bet that she wants to hear "this is momentous, a race car driver who has been close before finally broke through, and will certainly win again."
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

He's saying, How come mine is so small?

~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    However, I have never understood why women typically don't compete with men at the highest level of auto racing.
    Because we're smart enough to know we don't need to drive around in circles in order to prove "what's under the hood" is bigger or better than the next guy's?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Because we're smart enough to know we don't need to drive around in circles in order to prove "what's under the hood" is bigger or better than the next guy's?
    LOL!

Congrats to Danica. That's really cool.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    He's saying, How come mine is so small?

I guess he has trophy envy.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I thought is was because you stopped and asked for directions.

(j/k -- but that was too easy to leave).

I wonder when she will make the jump to NASCAR?

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I think Danica would rather people not say "this is momentous, a woman has won an Indy race." Instead, I would bet that she wants to hear "this is momentous, a race car driver who has been close before finally broke through, and will certainly win again."
    I looked through a few different publications and this is all i could find on the subject:

"I'm glad it finally happened," the 26-year-old driver said. "But I would be lying if I told you I didn't think it would be me."

Patrick said, "That was a big relief. A long time I've waited for this. I wish it would have happened a long time ago, but I'm not going to argue with the program. It happened the way it was supposed to happen and I believe everything happens for a reason."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

Smile Don't hold your breath, unless she wins Indy

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    I wonder when she will make the jump to NASCAR?
    She needs to build up more racing credentials (i.e., win a few more), and perhaps come 1 or 2 in the IRL (or whatever they will be). She is still in the shadows of those who recently left (who are NOT doing all that great).

Now if she wins the Indy 500 this year, all bets are off. She jumps ASAP.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

i seem to remember her turning down some big NASCAR dollars immediately after her first Indy 500. Perhaps she knew she couldnt yet compete.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I was wondering if they were ever gonna let the girl win.

The rumors that Danica was moving to F1 were just that, nothing more than rumors:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=3921946

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    The rumors that Danica was moving to F1 were just that, nothing more than rumors:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=3921946

Yes, she is a good not great driver...that is all.

She's ranked 5th in Indycar.

Danica is now going to do a limited NASCAR schedule. I really hope this goes well, becuase I have a feeling the naysayers are waiting to pounce. The following link has a lot of ESPN. Guys, you've really got to see what she's wearing in the Jimmy Kimmel segment. He has a relatively long debate with her about whether she's wearing pants or not. I don't know what the garment is, but she's gorgeous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...vid&id=4755687

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Guys, you've really got to see what she's wearing in the Jimmy Kimmel segment. He has a relatively long debate with her about whether she's wearing pants or not. I don't know what the garment is, but she's gorgeous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...vid&id=4755687
    Well.

but she's gorgeous.
    eh.

If you're looking for a driver, i suggest you familiarize yourself with Ashley Force.

Danica just won the pole at Daytona. Wow.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Danica just won the pole at Daytona. Wow.
    So I met her last summer. I know her agent (a great guy who's a Tenn alumn and a friend of Cutcliffe's and who knows I'll never speak to him again if UT steals back Cut, but that's an aside). My friend's house is on Lake Norman, so when I went over to hang out, there was Ms. Patrick sunbathing. That makes for a good story for my single male friends, but that's about it.

She was very nice, especially to my 4 year old daughter, who she spent a lot of time talking to. That always goes a long way with me. My daughter even saw her on a commercial after that and said, "why is Ms. Danica on tv?"

I could care less about NASCAR, but I tend to hope she does well because she seemed like a nice lady, was sweet to my daughter, and she really does deal with a fair amount of crap from some of the guys on the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    So I met her last summer. I know her agent (a great guy who's a Tenn alumn and a friend of Cutcliffe's and who knows I'll never speak to him again if UT steals back Cut, but that's an aside). My friend's house is on Lake Norman, so when I went over to hang out, there was Ms. Patrick sunbathing. That makes for a good story for my single male friends, but that's about it.

She was very nice, especially to my 4 year old daughter, who she spent a lot of time talking to. That always goes a long way with me. My daughter even saw her on a commercial after that and said, "why is Ms. Danica on tv?"

I could care less about NASCAR, but I tend to hope she does well because she seemed like a nice lady, was sweet to my daughter, and she really does deal with a fair amount of crap from some of the guys on the circuit.
    That was both titillating and sensitive to the position she's in gender-wise. Good work.

The thing that amazes me most is that she's basically performed a sport-change and not screwed it up. Open-wheel and stock car are two totally different things, despite a steering wheel being in common. She's not Dale Earnhardt, but all of the nasty opprobrium rained on her about being "a Kournikova" is totally inaccurate. And unfair to Anna, who won ten doubles titles. There's a lot of sexist talk about these women.

She's not aging well in the face. At 30. Though she left her hubby for a driver. I don't mean this as criticism--I see it as more evidence that her merit is divorced from her looks.

Anyway, I think she's great, and I want to see her kick some male buttocks.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 02-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine