Men's basketball transfers under Dean Smith

i was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a list of basketball transfers at UNC during the Smith era. I'm not talking about transfers he's taken in, but players who transferred out or dropped out of school. Any help would be appreciated. As of now I can think of only two (Donald Washington and Steve Krafcisan)

there was a guy that transferred to louisville... i wanna say cliff rozier... same class as montross
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

John Brownlee
    Kenny Harris
    Larry Davis
    Matt Brust

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by blueduke59 View Post
    i was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a list of basketball transfers at UNC during the Smith era. I'm not talking about transfers he's taken in, but players who transferred out or dropped out of school. Any help would be appreciated. As of now I can think of only two (Donald Washington and Steve Krafcisan)
    If you really want this info., maybe you should create a profile at Inside Carolina or another UNC fan site and bring your knowledge back here.

There was a PG named Lynwood Robinson that transferred to Appalachian State back in the Jordan era.

Robinson

Lynwood Robinson is kind of interesting. He announced his commitment to UNC on the same day as Michael Jordan -- and actually got bigger headlines.

This all happened in the fall of 1980 -- just before both players' senior year in high school.

Robinson was a point guard who had just won MVP honors in the state 4-A tournament as a junior. He didn't have a huge national reputation, but in North Carolina, his name meant something. Jordan, on the other hand, had been a forgettable player as a junior at Laney High in Wilmington -- not bad, but nothing to get excited about.

Jordan blew up as a prspect in the summer of 1980. It started at Dean Smith's basketball camp. He was suddenly so good that even Smith couldn't believe it. To make sure that Jordan was as good as he was looking, he set Jordan up to go to Five-Star (the only real national AAU camp in those days) in Honesdale, Pa., to play against the nation's best prospects.

Smith admits in his autobiography that he made a big mistake -- before Five-Star, only UNC knew that Jordan was a prospect. But Jordan absolutely dominated the Five-Star camp and he was suddenly being recruited by everybody in the country.

The point is, at that time, we didn't have all the recruiting gurus that we have today and while the coaches knew that Jordan was a big, big deal, the media in North Carolina knew nothing of Jordan and treated the Robinson signing as a bigger deal.

Dukeford is right -- Robinson played little and ended up transferring to App State. As for the Jordan kid ...

Wasn't there a Steve Krafcisin (sp ?) who transferred to Iowa in the mid-late 70's?
    Tom Mac

UNC players don't transfer, they just leave early.

Who was the most recent UNC transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Matt Doherty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Boone and Morrison, probably. Maybe Neil Fingleton. I don't think Roy Williams has had a transfer yet.

Lynwood Robinson

Very good info on that whole story. The internet has changed the world, only maybe PrepStars and Howie Garfinkles hard to get hold of listings of players were around in 1980.

Robinson did hurt his knee pretty bad and I don't think he was really much of an impact at Appy State b/c of the injury.

Boone, Morrison and Fingleton were Guthridge recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by hondoheel View Post
    Boone, Morrison and Fingleton were Guthridge recruits.
    I don't think anyone maintained otherwise.

One of my favorite quotes from Dean Smith came from when Rozier transferred and he dryly noted, "Cliff's going to find out they want him to play defense in Louisville too."

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    One of my favorite quotes from Dean Smith came from when Rozier transferred and he dryly noted, "Cliff's going to find out they want him to play defense in Louisville too."
    That's a good line.

I hate to be that guy, but can you imagine how K would get blasted if he said something like that about, say, Taylor King? Different times, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    That's a good line.

I hate to be that guy, but can you imagine how K would get blasted if he said something like that about, say, Taylor King? Different times, I guess.
    Yeah, but that wouldn't make any sense b/c King is such an awesome defender.

Early transfer

I knew a guy in Tennessee named Ian Morrison who used to be a high school coach. I'm pretty sure he transfered out of El Deano's program to Florida State in the mid-1960s and played at FSU with Dave Cowens early in Hugh Durham's coaching tenure.