Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    You know, one thing that I was kind of disappointed with that I don't think has been addressed yet in the thread is the attendance issue. While we had I think three announced sell-outs this season and season ticket sales were supposedly up on the year, I was disappointed specifically with student attendance at the games. While, the attendance at non-conference games was low, as expected and as usual, we weren't even able to fill up the bleachers for the Carolina game fer chrissake! Could somebody maybe go out to K-ville and tell them that this is still your school and still your team playing against still your rival? (Sure, the argument wouldn't work as well for the UMD game, since they're still not our rivals, but I digress)

The fact that Tenn-clad grad students (and Tenn alum children) were able to get front row on the student section for the Tennessee game was disturbing, IMO, and I near about bet if Candace Parker had heard a louder cadence screaming at her, she might have had a harder time shooting that 9-12 from the line.

M.H.

Quote Originally Posted by fadero View Post
    This coach does not like to recruit and openly admits it. This should have been an easy transition...she had alot to work with.
    It will be nice if we can get beyond this 3-4 year old quote that was taken out of context.

Besides, Mike Corey responded to this in his post in another thread http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...8&postcount=17

I won't try to repeat or repost it, but reading it should put this comment to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    It will be nice if we can get beyond this 3-4 year old quote that was taken out of context.

Besides, Mike Corey responded to this in his post in another thread http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...8&postcount=17

I won't try to repeat or repost it, but reading it should put this comment to rest.
    Thanks, Bluedawg, I hadn't read that one. It's good to see something like that to put my mind at ease. :-)

M.H.

Attendance

I agree with the poster above with disappointment in attendance this year. Some of it may have to do with the lack of star-power in the team. Some because of early-season losses. But I believe a lot of the student attendance issue has to do with the changing demographics of the student body. Honestly, it takes a large percentage of students to fill the student sections and it has simply gotten harder and harder for that to happen. Many of the men's games are less than full downstairs. In fact, most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    I agree with the poster above with disappointment in attendance this year. Some of it may have to do with the lack of star-power in the team. Some because of early-season losses. But I believe a lot of the student attendance issue has to do with the changing demographics of the student body. Honestly, it takes a large percentage of students to fill the student sections and it has simply gotten harder and harder for that to happen. Many of the men's games are less than full downstairs. In fact, most of them.
    K-ville looked smaller this year than I recall from years past.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    What changing demographics do you mean? Foreign students, etc? Not disagreeing - just trying to understand the hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post

Out of context? Let us see...

"We do nationally recruit, but if we can go 30 miles, that's how far we're going to go because I can't stand recruiting," McCallie says. "I will take the shortest distance to a recruit. I think if you can get great talent in the Midwest, why would you go somewhere else?"

Now, take her comment about assistants doing recruiting and consider this. AAU and high school coaches in the MD/VA/DC region (one of Duke's strongest recruiting areas) have NO CLUE who McCallie is. SHE needs to be the face of recruiting. Only after years of building relationships could Gail Goestenkors send Gale Valley and not go to everything herself. McCallie comes in and assumes everyone knows about her and thinks the world of her, such that her assistants can do the recruiting.

It is very telling that Nneka Ogwumike, who won several POY awards, was a Duke lean before McCallie arrived. McCallie arrives, and Duke couldn't even get Nneka to visit (she had been to Duke previously with Gail). McCallie has to be the face of recruiting until she establishes a proven track record.

Plus, relying on her assistants isn't great, when you consider Samantha Williams has had five jobs in seven years.

On a related note, I thought this was an interesting article on the team's season.

http://media.www.dukechronicle...e-3343683.shtml

Link problem

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    On a related note, I thought this was an interesting article on the team's season.

http://media.www.dukechronicle...e-3343683.shtml
    Thanks. It's a very interesting article, but I had trouble with the link. If anyone else does, try this one:

A Season Of Change

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Now, take her comment about assistants doing recruiting and consider this. AAU and high school coaches in the MD/VA/DC region (one of Duke's strongest recruiting areas) have NO CLUE who McCallie is. SHE needs to be the face of recruiting. Only after years of building relationships could Gail Goestenkors send Gale Valley and not go to everything herself. McCallie comes in and assumes everyone knows about her and thinks the world of her, such that her assistants can do the recruiting.
    I actually agree with this for a number of reasons. For one thing, I agree with the statement that a lot of HS coaches don't know who she is, and they'll play at least some part in the decision making of many recruits. If she was able to endear herself to the HS coaches of the recruits she wants, that would influence the recruits in a positive manner. Also, it says a lot to the recruits that the head coach herself would come to see them, telling them that they're important to the program.

It also seems that she's relying heavily on the appeal of Duke as an institution, which can be risky when we're up against other prestigious academic institutions, like Stanford and UNC, which also have national recognition as prestigious academic institutions with excellent women's basketball programs. Not to say we're not as good as if not better than them in that respect, but it may not be as clear to many recruits in other parts of the country.

M.H.

It also seems that she's relying heavily on the appeal of Duke as an institution, which can be risky when we're up against other prestigious academic institutions, like Stanford and UNC, which also have national recognition as prestigious academic institutions with excellent women's basketball programs.

M.H.
    UNC, a school that accepts community college classes, a "prestigious academic institution" ?! ROFLMAO
    Last edited by -jk; 04-24-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post
    UNC, a school that accepts community college classes, a "prestigious academic institution" ?! ROFLMAO
    Oh, come on, like all public schools, their students run the gamut. I mean, I've known some rock-stupid people who went there, but I've also known some incredibly intelligent people who went there for their education and came out the better for it. However, you have to admit that they're a nationally recognized program with high quality professors who know their subject. Now, the quality of the teaching versus the quality of research, which is sometimes an issue at larger institutions, that may be a different story. The point is, the perception is there.

And anyway, that's a different thread and likely a different forum, so try to keep the topic to women's basketball, please, and how we're going to kick the bejesus out of Carolina next year (ideally).

M.H.

Incoming Freshmen

Guard Chelsea Hopkins (5-8) of Las Vegas, guard Shay Selby (5-9) of Cleveland, Ohio, and forward Kathleen Scheer (6-2) of New Haven, Mo., make up a class that is ranked fifth best in the county by two recruiting services and seventh by another. It’s the ninth straight year that Duke has brought in a top 10 class. Selby is considered to be the nation’s top point guard by one service.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1445813

Shay Selby
    Gatorade State Player of the Year (Ohio), 2008. ... WBCA All-American, 2008. ...Adidas Top Ten Camp All Star, 2005. ... Second Team All State (Division III), 2005. ... State All Tournament Team, 2005. ... First Team All District, 2005. ... First Team All County, 2005.

Kathleen Scheer
    Player of the Year, Four Rivers Conference, 2007 First Team, All-Conference, Four Rivers, 2007 All-Tournament, River City Class, 2006 Player of the Year, Four Rivers Conference, 2006 All-State, Missouri Basketball Coach's Association, 2006 Second Team All-State, Missouri Writers, 2006 First Team, All-District, 2006 First Team, All-Conference, 2006 Scored 1,000 points, sophomore year, 2005-06 Player of the Year, Four Rivers Conference, 2005 2006 Club Team: Missouri Rockets

Chelsea Hopkins
    Club Team: West Coast Elite

Grass Roots Sports Fall Showcase All-Star, 2006.
    Led the State of Nevada in scoring, 06-07.