Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steve Lavin's Top 5?

I'm watching the Jordan Classic game at MSG and Lavin revealed his top 5 for next year.
    1. Texas...I'll give him that if Augustin comes back
    2. UConn...I guess
    3. Wisconsin...didn't they just lose 2 or 3 starters after they were imbarrassed by Davidson?
    4. UCLA...if I'm not mistaken didn't Love, Westbrook, and Mbah a Moute all declare for the NBA this week?
    5. Carolina...assuming the big 3 returns

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I prefer Lavin without the hair gel, all kind of mussy and feather-headed. And silent...that would be nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I prefer Lavin without the hair gel, all kind of mussy and feather-headed. And silent...that would be nice, too.
    ouch. I dont think he's the greatest announcer but he has his moments. And he's always been nice anytime I've ever seen him at Duke or in public. I'd certainly take him over a bunch of other guys...

doesn't it seem like we should just postpone the rankings for next year until we actually know who's returning? Also, maybe I'm just an optimist but I think that Duke's gonna have to be even better next year. Nelson is a big loss, but we're getting Williams who should help, and everyone is getting a year older. It seemed to me like the times we really struggled were when our guys were struggling with the kind of confidence issues that come from being a little young. I think our guys will mature a lot mentally as well as physically and in terms of talent. Next year I think we'll see a vindication of K's strategy of recruting 3-4 year players over one-and dones. I have high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    doesn't it seem like we should just postpone the rankings for next year until we actually know who's returning? Also, maybe I'm just an optimist but I think that Duke's gonna have to be even better next year. Nelson is a big loss, but we're getting Williams who should help, and everyone is getting a year older. It seemed to me like the times we really struggled were when our guys were struggling with the kind of confidence issues that come from being a little young. I think our guys will mature a lot mentally as well as physically and in terms of talent. Next year I think we'll see a vindication of K's strategy of recruting 3-4 year players over one-and dones. I have high hopes.
    Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I'm watching the Jordan Classic game at MSG and Lavin revealed his top 5 for next year.
    1. Texas...I'll give him that if Augustin comes back
    2. UConn...I guess
    3. Wisconsin...didn't they just lose 2 or 3 starters after they were imbarrassed by Davidson?
    4. UCLA...if I'm not mistaken didn't Love, Westbrook, and Mbah a Moute all declare for the NBA this week?
    5. Carolina...assuming the big 3 returns

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    4 of these picks (at this time) are legitimate. Yes, even UCLA, as they have reloaded for another Final Four run. Wisconsin is an odd choice, though. Assuming no underclassmen leave, this is a team that's still no better than 3rd in the Big Ten, behind a more loaded Purdue and Michigan State. They have some size coming in, but nothing that we can predict as dazzling.

Don't underestimate Connecticut. There's almost no buzz about anyone leaving early, so their players can gel into something dangerous next season. They'll be a favorite in the Big East, which should be (by far) the nation's best conference.

someone needs to be telling lavin to shave RIGHT before he goes on camera...

And go to Jiffy Lube for a degreasing.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    4 of these picks (at this time) are legitimate. Yes, even UCLA, as they have reloaded for another Final Four run. Wisconsin is an odd choice, though. Assuming no underclassmen leave, this is a team that's still no better than 3rd in the Big Ten, behind a more loaded Purdue and Michigan State. They have some size coming in, but nothing that we can predict as dazzling.
    Lavin called quite a few Wisconsin games this year, so he is very familiar with the program. While they probably will be picked behind Purdue and Mich. St. in the Big Ten, it's quite possible they will end the year ranked this high, especially with their ACC challenge game being Va. Tech, albeit on the road. No players are leaving early, and I think they will be at least as good as this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    it's quite possible they will end the year ranked this high, especially with their ACC challenge game being Va. Tech, albeit on the road.
    Uh, what? What does playing Virginia Tech in the ACC/Big 10 challenge have to do with where Wisconsin is ranked at the end of the year?

The top looks pretty open nationally next year. For now, making guesses about who's coming back and who's not, I'll take UNC, Duke, UConn, Pitt, and UCLA as a top five.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Uh, what? What does playing Virginia Tech in the ACC/Big 10 challenge have to do with where Wisconsin is ranked at the end of the year?
    Because unlike a Duke or UNC game, it's a likely W. They won't be picking up too many L's.

Dude, playing Virginia Tech in November has close to zero effect on the chances of Wisconsin being ranked third in the country at the end of the season. I do agree with you that they'll be better than most people predict, though.

Dude, playing Virginia Tech in November has close to zero effect on the chances of Wisconsin being ranked third in the country at the end of the season. I do agree with you that they'll be better than most people predict, though.
    Dude, to be ranked third at the end of the season, a team probably can't have any more than about three losses. Every one you don't get counts. Maybe you're thinking about the RPI rating and seeding in the tournament.

This may come as a complete and total shock to you but no team out there plays every single game against a powerhouse opponent. The fact that Wisconsin has a game scheduled at Virginia Tech is not going to have a significant impact on whether they finish the season ranked third in the country. Period.

Exclamation

This may come as a complete and total shock to you but no team out there plays every single game against a powerhouse opponent. The fact that Wisconsin has a game scheduled at Virginia Tech is not going to have a significant impact on whether they finish the season ranked third in the country. Period.
    Sure it has an effect. If you keep winning games, then you don't drop in the polls. It will be easier for the Badgers to hang around the top ten if they don't pick up any losses to non-conference teams. Dkbaseball is looking for potential losses on their schedule. If Wisconsin loses in November/December, they could drop off into the top 15, meaning there would be 10 teams or so ahead of them that would have to lose for Wisconsin to make it back into the top 3. Because no team plays every game against a powerhouse opponent makes it less likely that many teams ahead of Wisconsin will lose to allow the Badgers back into the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    I personally don't think the strategy will be fully vindicated until the 09-10 season but I really hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Sure it has an effect. If you keep winning games, then you don't drop in the polls. It will be easier for the Badgers to hang around the top ten if they don't pick up any losses to non-conference teams. Dkbaseball is looking for potential losses on their schedule. If Wisconsin loses in November/December, they could drop off into the top 15, meaning there would be 10 teams or so ahead of them that would have to lose for Wisconsin to make it back into the top 3. Because no team plays every game against a powerhouse opponent makes it less likely that many teams ahead of Wisconsin will lose to allow the Badgers back into the top 3.
    Wisconsin is also missing an opportunity to pick up a big win against Duke/UNC which would vault them high in the polls. That's important considering there's absolutely no way in hell Wisconsin will begin the season in the top 5, and maybe not even in the top 20. You can play it both ways in an internet pissing match but the point is that projecting where a team will finish according to a single game on their non conference schedule in November is stupid.

You can play it both ways in an internet pissing match but the point is that projecting where a team will finish according to a single game on their non conference schedule in November is stupid.
    Ummm... did you even read his post? I am quoting his points here (just adding numbers):
    1) Lavin called quite a few Wisconsin games this year, so he is very familiar with the program.
    2) While they probably will be picked behind Purdue and Mich. St. in the Big Ten, it's quite possible they will end the year ranked this high
    3) especially with their ACC challenge game being Va. Tech, albeit on the road.
    4) No players are leaving early, and I think they will be at least as good as this year.

So the projection is based off of 4 points, not 1. I won't try to go into whether his are strong or weak arguments, but at least read the entire post before calling him "stupid" for something he didn't do (basing a ranking off of one game)... and yes, I realize we could argue whether 2) is really an argument or point he made to predict their finish... I included it because it suggests he has thought through their schedule and whom they play in conference.

I hope Virginia Tech beats Wisconsin this fall just so I can resuscitate this thread.

First of all, yes, I read his post. Second of all, I didn't call him stupid, I called one of the reasons he gave for saying Wisconsin could finish the year ranked high in the polls stupid - there's a very significant difference there. Third of all, I'm not even arguing against the possibility that Wisconsin could end up ranked highly. I've even explicitly agreed with him that Wisconsin will be better than most people predict. Maybe I'm not the one who needs to read posts better.

In the words of the great Jay Bilas... "Then take offense. It's stupid." I am now officially done with this pissing match.