Talking For all us baby boomers

This is too funny, but sadly so true.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/...,1036393.blurb
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm hoping that if Obama gets elected, he'll move all the Boomers to a preserve on Yasgur's Farm. That'll fix y'all's wagon.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Speak for yourself Ozzie. I refuse to get old.

Smile

Enjoyed the link and it gave me a chuckle. However, it seemed to be more applicable to those 80+ rather than those of us who are 50+.

Come to CA and hike HalfDome in Yosemite, bungy jump in Vegas, rollerblade on Venice Beach, enjoy some mushrooms (er...pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! ake, of course), surf the Pacific (cold), play softball (even though we suck), and go ballistic watching NFL football and NCAA basketball with a great group of boomers. It's all good.

When I was in my 20's I told myself that I would be a 'grown-up' when I stopped wearing jeans and could no longer dive from a 15' cliff or do a cartwheel or touch my toes. Still waiting. (Thank God for good genes). ....jeans

You really need to see the flick, YOUNG AT HEART. Love ya, dukemomLA

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    ...enjoy some mushrooms (er...pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! ake, of course)
    What the...???

I can only assume this is the result of the board's profanity filter catching an inadvertent and unfortunate misspelling of the word "shiitake."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    What the...???

I can only assume this is the result of the board's profanity filter catching an inadvertent and unfortunate misspelling of the word "shiitake."
    Or a misspelling of 'ache', meaning there are some side effects of mushrooms I'm thankfully unaware of.

Enjoyed the link and it gave me a chuckle. However, it seemed to be more applicable to those 80+ rather than those of us who are 50+.

Come to CA and hike HalfDome in Yosemite, bungy jump in Vegas, rollerblade on Venice Beach, enjoy some mushrooms (er...pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! ake, of course), surf the Pacific (cold), play softball (even though we suck), and go ballistic watching NFL football and NCAA basketball with a great group of boomers. It's all good.

When I was in my 20's I told myself that I would be a 'grown-up' when I stopped wearing jeans and could no longer dive from a 15' cliff or do a cartwheel or touch my toes. Still waiting. (Thank God for good genes). ....jeans

You really need to see the flick, YOUNG AT HEART. Love ya, dukemomLA
    Well, more power to you Mom, if you're doing all this stuff and enjoying it, but in some ways it points up to me one of the problems the BB regime has left the country with -- the death of conversation. We're maybe the first generation to grow up imagining ourselves in a movie, or more precisely, a beer commercial. Going for the gusto has been the imperative, and if you're not, you're not really living. The upshot of this has been the demise of communication. What's to communicate about? Just do it. Go for it. If you're communicating with any degree of honesty, you're screwing up the commercial, where people are smiling broadly, inhaling the joy of life in deep drafts. If you don't fit into the commercial, you're a loser.

When the public discourse -- indeed, the very structure of people's thoughts -- are developed around commercial slogans, we lose the ability to assess our situation honestly. It's not "all good" out there in the country we're handing off to successor generations. It's mostly bad, from what I can see, barely fit for human habitation, mainly because we've scotched honest comunication and the ability for collective self-assessment.

Of course, maybe I just need to get out more. I've had an outing to Half Dome on the back burner; maybe today's the day. Or perhaps a shroom will make things look all good.

Yeah, I sent it on to my parents who are pre-Boomer by a few years, and my uncle, who is 75ish, and it seems to fit them a little more than someone in their 50's.

Hey, can I come down and do those things with you??

Smile Of course

Come on down anytime, DukeAlumna. (As long as we have meaningful discourse as we hike so dkbaseball doesn't hate us). Actually great conversation is one of my favorite activities -- as long as it's with a small group. One on one usually leaves me lacking.

Come on down anytime, DukeAlumna. (As long as we have meaningful discourse as we hike so dkbaseball doesn't hate us). Actually great conversation is one of my favorite activities -- as long as it's with a small group. One on one usually leaves me lacking.
    Yes, be sure to record your conversations so that I can give them a grade for meaningfulness. Actually, I'm just jealous because arthritic joints caused by old sports injuries have left me far less active than I was a few years ago. But the blood pressure was runing pretty high yesterday, so I've got to get my butt into the water, or something. Keep moving, folks. As my Dad likes to say, they can't bury you as long as you're still moving.

I do wish that in those occasions when you're sitting down this society provided more opportunities for interacting with people rather than computers. As baby boomers, we can recall when that used to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Yes, be sure to record your conversations so that I can give them a grade for meaningfulness. Actually, I'm just jealous because arthritic joints caused by old sports injuries have left me far less active than I was a few years ago. But the blood pressure was runing pretty high yesterday, so I've got to get my butt into the water, or something. Keep moving, folks. As my Dad likes to say, they can't bury you as long as you're still moving.

I do wish that in those occasions when you're sitting down this society provided more opportunities for interacting with people rather than computers. As baby boomers, we can recall when that used to be the case.
    Geez, dk. You really are a fossil! If you want your blood pressure to stay down, stay off the PP board!!!

Seriously, I think I would like you in person. Even though you're a communist. I am going to come to Reno some day and we will go hiking!!!

IDLE QUESTION FOR ALL: What exactly is the baby boom generation?

I have heard that baby boom = those born 1945-1965. Then, Gen X = 1965 - 1977. I was born in 1971, which would put me smack in the middle of Gen X. Is that right???

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Geez, dk. You really are a fossil! If you want your blood pressure to stay down, stay off the PP board!!!

Seriously, I think I would like you in person. Even though you're a communist. I am going to come to Reno some day and we will go hiking!!!

IDLE QUESTION FOR ALL: What exactly is the baby boom generation?

I have heard that baby boom = those born 1945-1965. Then, Gen X = 1965 - 1977. I was born in 1971, which would put me smack in the middle of Gen X. Is that right???
    You won't have to go that far -- I'm moving to New Orleans next week. Guess Houston is closer for MLB, but the allure of the Atlanta Mafia may outweigh the shorter traveling distance.

The baby boom officially includes those born between 1946 and 1964. I believe, however, that keen observers on these boards have distinguished the early baby boomers -- say 1946-1955 -- as having that special degree of narcissistic self-importance with which the generation has come to be associated. That would be moi. Yes, you're smack in the middle of Gen. X, supposedly the slacker generation.

You might be on to something with the PPB and blood pressure. The adrenaline rush of constant victory can't be good for it.

make way for generation X old men