Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Greatest Dunk Ever

I'm wanting to put a video together with the greatest in-game dunks ever. I was looking for some opinions from people. It can be either NBA or college, but preferrably not in the dunk contest.

Thanks for any help

There's a dunk by Tom Chambers where he jumps over a defender on a fast break that would have to be included.

There are also the 2 backboard shatter dunks by Darryl Dawkins.

And there was a left-handed baseline dunk in traffic by John Starks that I never get tired of seeing.

Dahntay Jones against UVA is absolutely mandatory. PUSH UPS!!!

James White, Yo!

Between the legs, FROM THE FREE THROW LINE! Game, set, match.

Skitzle linked to this video in a thread about Corey Maggette's dunk vs. UF. There are some pretty classic dunks in there.

I like this one!!! Vince over 7'2' French guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6qJ7LZNlg

This one is also pretty good - although not in a game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt001pBcwjM
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeford View Post
    And there was a left-handed baseline dunk in traffic by John Starks that I never get tired of seeing.
    This one?

I've always like KJ dunking on Olajuwan

and who can forget this one:
    1991 (including context. 8:01 if you're not patient)

eta: wow, watching that reminds me how great Hurley was.

Send it in, Jerome!

Jerome Lane of Pitt is classic.
    Send it in, Jerome!

Add Baron Davis to the list. Also, this T-Mac dunk was stellar as well.

BTW, Vince Carter over Frederic Weis...in my mind, the greatest dunk EVER in a game. Period.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

dahntay jones was awesome...

Agreed about the Carter dunk being the greatest in-game dunk ever!

I recall Dahntay Jones having an absolutely monstrous dunk early in his senior season at whatever tournament we were in (Great Alaskan?). He literally dunked over somebody in Vince Carter fashion, but they called a charge on him. They flashed to coach K on the sideline mimicking the dunk with one foot in the air and his arm outstretched... he had a huge disbelieving smile on his face. Is my mind playing tricks on me here or does anybody else remember that? If so, is there video anywhere?

I remember that dunk, as well as K's mimicking of it. Too bad it was called a charge

The Chambers dunk is otherworldly. Just mindboggling how high he gets. (though I guess Mark Jackson gets the assist). I believe NBATV ranked it number one of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyBSTQDwH8

If they didn't rank it number one, it was the one by Doctor J, which looks like this one, but I don't think is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI84bYrIl9w

More Dr. J--his hands must just be huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTfb...eature=related

The one I referenced above is number one on this clip.
    Last edited by dcarp23; 04-16-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Added comment

James White

Yea, James White in I believe a Turkish all star game dunk contest (guess the games not just about being athletic) has one of the most freakishly athletic dunks I've ever seen. Goes through the legs from the free throw line.

I've talked to a college high jumper who happened to compete against White in high school. According to this guy, there is no question White would be a world record holder in the high jump if he focused on it and perfected his technique. The guy is probably the greatest one footed jumper of all time. (or at least, in the age of video)

Look up Kadour ZIani too. Nothing in game but he's a freakish athlete as well.

Antoine Maggette's tech dunk against Florida was the stuff of legends, for sure. I also seem to recall his stairway to heaven put back dunk against N.C. State in the '99 ACC semis. He had FAA clearance that day. The boy could leap.

I know this was a dunk contest edition, but King Rex Chapman's toss around the back slam during the '91 All-Star Weekend was the stuff of legends. He was the man in his prime.

I also second Mad John Starks' baseline jam on MJ and Horace Grant. One of the all-time highlights in NBA history. Still have that game on DVD. Bulls-Knicks, mid '90s... Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Antoine Maggette's tech dunk against Florida was the stuff of legends, for sure. I also seem to recall his stairway to heaven put back dunk against N.C. State in the '99 ACC semis. He had FAA clearance that day. The boy could leap.
    Hmm I was going to comment on that, but apparently that's his middle name? I couldn't find that clip, but here's a crazy hook shot by Maggette from way past half-court

Baron Davis over AK-47 in the playoffs last year.

One of each

I'm not a true NBA fan but have to follow my local raptors when I can.

I recall seeing a clip on our sportscentre today where Jamario Moon comes flying into the camera view after a missed shot for a beautiful one handed throw down. He seemed to float so effortlessly that it was unbelievable!

Also, may not have been the greatest ever but I get so excited watching that Marty P. dunk against VCU last year. Came out of nowhere and really showed his athleticism.

Thumbs up #33 over #33

My favorite is the one where Pippen goes over Ewing, then stands over him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETzpRdC6WS8