Thread: Playing Time

Playing Time

I am sure that this was answered before but I cannot recall the reasoning.

I can understand why a player decides to transfer because he initially thought that he would be getting playing time, and it turns out that he would not be getting the amount of time that he wants.

I am thinking about potential 2009 recruits Ken Boynton and Leslie McDonald. Why would they both be anxious to come when they intially would have to compete with Scheyer , a senior, Williams , a sophmore, and Smith , a junior, for playing time?

I could possibly see one of them but certainly not both. Even one of them would not be getting the playing time that he probably thinks he deserves.

Is Coach K recruiting both Boynton AND McDonald, or is it a situation where if one decides to commit then Coach K would back off the other ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I am sure that this was answered before but I cannot recall the reasoning.

I can understand why a player decides to transfer because he initially thought that he would be getting playing time, and it turns out that he would not be getting the amount of time that he wants.

I am thinking about potential 2009 recruits Ken Boynton and Leslie McDonald. Why would they both be anxious to come when they intially would have to compete with Scheyer , a senior, Williams , a sophmore, and Smith , a junior, for playing time?

I could possibly see one of them but certainly not both. Even one of them would not be getting the playing time that he probably thinks he deserves.

Is Coach K recruiting both Boynton AND McDonald, or is it a situation where if one decides to commit then Coach K would back off the other ?
    You are aware that there are 120 minutes per game to be had among the 3 backcourt positions, right? Lets say Scheyer and Smith are each getting 30 or maybe even as much as 32 minutes per game. Lets say that Williams is getting 25. That still leaves something like 35 minutes to be divided up among McDonald and Boyton (or whoever we get to play in the backcourt in the class of 2009).

That scenario assumes that Williams is a bigger contributor than McDonald and Boyton, which may not be the case as they are both more highly regarded prospects than E-mail (no slight on Elliot, but that is just reality).

It is also possible that Pocius will be here vying for backcourt minutes as well, which could create a somewhat crowded situation. Still, I would think both of McDonald and Boyton would welcome the competition and would know that K traditionally plays the guys who earn it in practice. If they are each as good as advertised then they will get time and get many chances to prove themselves on what should be a national title contending team.

Then, in 2010 with Scheyer gone (and perhaps Smith too?), there will be even more minutes available.

--Jason "I am sure these kids know what Duke has on the roster and K has told them what kind of role he envisions for them" Evans

Check some of watzone's previous posts for more recruiting info. Duke has offered both of them.

Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are aware that there are 120 minutes per game to be had among the 3 backcourt positions, right? Lets say Scheyer and Smith are each getting 30 or maybe even as much as 32 minutes per game. Lets say that Williams is getting 25. That still leaves something like 35 minutes to be divided up among McDonald and Boyton (or whoever we get to play in the backcourt in the class of 2009).

That scenario assumes that Williams is a bigger contributor than McDonald and Boyton, which may not be the case as they are both more highly regarded prospects than E-mail (no slight on Elliot, but that is just reality).

It is also possible that Pocius will be here vying for backcourt minutes as well, which could create a somewhat crowded situation. Still, I would think both of McDonald and Boyton would welcome the competition and would know that K traditionally plays the guys who earn it in practice. If they are each as good as advertised then they will get time and get many chances to prove themselves on what should be a national title contending team.

Then, in 2010 with Scheyer gone (and perhaps Smith too?), there will be even more minutes available.

--Jason "I am sure these kids know what Duke has on the roster and K has told them what kind of role he envisions for them" Evans
    Are you assuming Henderson will be gone?

I think a person with more point skills would get PT, since Jon is not a natural point and while Smith may improve next year, he hasn't shown himself yet to be a natural at that position. Then there is always the question of the injury bug. Every year at least a couple of guys are nursing injuries and having depth that can play is good for all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Great post. But in all honesty, unless Marty gets some serious run this coming season, I don't see how he fits into the 09-10 discussion at all. How many years of eligibility does Pocius have anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Great post. But in all honesty, unless Marty gets some serious run this coming season, I don't see how he fits into the 09-10 discussion at all. How many years of eligibility does Pocius have anyway?
    2 left. 08-09 and 09-10

Smile Special NCAA Regs re Lithuanians

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    There are special regs for foreign student-athletes from the country of Lithuania, in honor of their strong basketball tradition and success. He gets to remain eligible until he gets 20 minutes per game of playing time, or 10.0 PPG. His first three years he recorded 6.1, 7.1 and 8.0 minutes per game. By the MPG standard, I calculate that he will exhaust his eligibility in 2020.

sagegrouse

Great players are not concerned with competition for playing time. They feel they will get the minutes. It is the players who quit rather than rising to the competition for playing time that make you question their belief in themselves.