Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No doubt and I also remember when E Williams was to be the second coming. How did that work out?
    McRoberts also. A good player but not a difference maker. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    McRoberts also. A good player but not a difference maker. Go Duke!
    McBobs? How much better would Duke have been with him last year? How much worse would they have been without him the prior year? The differences in both seasons would have been significant. Attitude aside, the dude had game.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    No doubt and I also remember when E Williams was to be the second coming. How did that work out?
    Well, since E Williams is only halfway thru his Freshman season, we don't yet know how it will work out. Good thing we did not kick Thomas Hill, Nate James, Shane Battier, Gerald Henderon, and many many others out the door halfway thru their Freshman seasons. Otherwise those 3 banners might not be hanging in CIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Well, since E Williams is only halfway thru his Freshman season, we don't yet know how it will work out. Good thing we did not kick Thomas Hill, Nate James, Shane Battier, Gerald Henderon, and many many others out the door halfway thru their Freshman seasons. Otherwise those 3 banners might not be hanging in CIS.
    Precisely, and considering E. WIll is getting minutes on a team ranked in the top 5 in the nation, well, I think he's doing ok.

E-Will was a top 20 recruit in the weakest class in memory. He plays at Duke's deepest position.

John Wall is the number 1 or 2 player in a pretty good class. He plays a position where Duke will have 1 returning player (who has an A/TO ratio of 1).

I don't see understand why people are being so negative about Wall. Is it because he's projected number 1 in the 2010 NBA Draft?

It's probably because most don't expect to land him, so it's pre-mature sour grapes.

I'm sure had Wall committed to Duke, the fans here would be talking about how great he's going to be, like we talk about Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly.

It's completely understandable, every fanbase will do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's probably because most don't expect to land him, so it's pre-mature sour grapes.

I'm sure had Wall committed to Duke, the fans here would be talking about how great he's going to be, like we talk about Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly.

It's completely understandable, every fanbase will do the same.
    I couldn't have said this better myself.

I don't usually like ESPN for this kind of stuff, but there isn't much going on in respect to recruiting and the writer seems to give good evaluations of Duke commits in Hairston and Dawkins, and a couple possible targets in McAdoo, and Mychal Parker.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=3876918

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    I don't usually like ESPN for this kind of stuff, but there isn't much going on in respect to recruiting and the writer seems to give good evaluations of Duke commits in Hairston and Dawkins, and a couple possible targets in McAdoo, and Mychal Parker.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=3876918
    That's an exciting evaluation of Dawkins. Deep range on his jumper, an effective midrange game, strong shot blocking instincts, good hops . . . It sounds like he's a special player. Throw in his obvious love for Duke and he seems like the perfect player for K and the guys. I can't wait to see him in Duke Blue.

Two recruits were at the Virginia game Sunday. One was Mason Plumlee. Who was the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Two recruits were at the Virginia game Sunday. One was Mason Plumlee. Who was the other one?
    I heard it was his younger brother, Marshall. Better known as MP3

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/200...-virginia-win/

There were actually three - Mason, Kelly, and Hairston.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I heard it was his younger brother, Marshall. Better known as MP3
    I wasn't referring to Marshall though he and the rest of the family were there. I'm referring to two recruits who were standing near the basket and near the band during the pregame warm ups. Nate was talking to Mason who was wearing his Greenie jacket. Chris Carrawell was talking to the other recruit, a nice looking kid wearing black, not as tall as Mason and little more slender like a guard or forward might be.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/200...-virginia-win/

There were actually three - Mason, Kelly, and Hairston.
    It was Hairston who was standing with Chris Carrawell during the arm ups.

This guy is one hell of an exciting player...

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    That's an exciting evaluation of Dawkins. Deep range on his jumper, an effective midrange game, strong shot blocking instincts, good hops . . . It sounds like he's a special player. Throw in his obvious love for Duke and he seems like the perfect player for K and the guys. I can't wait to see him in Duke Blue.
    Wow - an uber athletic JJ. Or should I say G with a better 3-point shot (I mean when G was recruited, who wasn't known to have range on his three. Now, G has one of the most reliable 3s on our team). Of all the recruits in 09 and 10, I am looking most forward to Dawkins. He seems like a really smart and classy player who has already helped with recruiting (he helped with both Hairston and Thorton, I believe). What I really like about the player is his patience and class. Even though he was recruited by Duke, he didn't complain when his coach used him as a sixth man on Boo Williams. That's really good to know. He will be great coming off the bench his freshman year. All in all, he has the chance to be really special at Duke.

If Kyle and/or G stay (highly unlikely IMO) we'll be fine in '09. Otherwise 2010 may be the year. First potentially great recruiting class in several years.

Recruiting Update

With all of the recruiting articles I've become confused about who we've recruited for 2009 vs. 2010 and, of those kids, who has committed and whom we're still recruiting. Information, size, stats and position are greatly appreciated.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Rich,

When looking for a rundown like you are asking for, I typically go to scout.com's Top 100 list and hit 'control+F' which opens a search window and I just type "Duke" it runs through each instance where Duke is mentioned on a kid's list.

In terms of just recruits, and not commits, for 2009 we are recruiting John Wall, and according to Watzone have a backup plan of sorts waiting in the wings should we not offer or should he commit elsewhere.

For 2010 we are still recruiting Harrison Barnes and Brandon Knight pretty actively and were pretty interested in Josh Smith, though most expect Smith to remain on the west coast. Haven't heard much out of the Knight camp in a while. There are others we are looking at including Kyrie Irving, Roscoe Smith, and Mychal Parker, but you can run through the list and see what's what.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...pid=88&yr=2009

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    With all of the recruiting articles I've become confused about who we've recruited for 2009 vs. 2010 and, of those kids, who has committed and whom we're still recruiting. Information, size, stats and position are greatly appreciated.
    I am by no means a recuiting expert, but I do follow it. For 2009 Duke has commitments from 6'10 205lb PF Ryan Kelly, ranked #11 by Scout, and 6'11 210lb PF Mason Plumlee, ranked #19 by Scout. They are still in the mix for 6'4 175lb PG John Wall, but I believe they haven't actually offered him yet. I think that all depends on who stays and who goes from the current roster (if G or Kyle go pro).
    For 2010 Duke has commitments from 6'4 190lb SG Andre Dawkins, ranked #23, 6'8 195lb PF Josh Hairston, #26, and 6'2 180lb PG Tyler Thornton, ranked #49. They are still listed for a number of undecided recruits, the most noteable being #3 Harrison Barnes, a 6'6 190lb small forward.
    Someone else probably knows more than me, like where Duke stands with Brandon Knight or Josh Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    I am by no means a recuiting expert, but I do follow it. For 2009 Duke has commitments from 6'10 205lb PF Ryan Kelly, ranked #11 by Scout, and 6'11 210lb PF Mason Plumlee, ranked #19 by Scout. They are still in the mix for 6'4 175lb PG John Wall, but I believe they haven't actually offered him yet. I think that all depends on who stays and who goes from the current roster (if G or Kyle go pro).
    For 2010 Duke has commitments from 6'4 190lb SG Andre Dawkins, ranked #23, 6'8 195lb PF Josh Hairston, #26, and 6'2 180lb PG Tyler Thornton, ranked #49. They are still listed for a number of undecided recruits, the most noteable being #3 Harrison Barnes, a 6'6 190lb small forward.
    Someone else probably knows more than me, like where Duke stands with Brandon Knight or Josh Smith.
    Teach a man to fish.

Let him figure out where or show him how to get information on his own, don't just feed him info he could find in any number of places on the Internet if he bothered looking. This is a part, albeit a very small one, of what Julio et al. are asking for, and it will certainly cut down on the level of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    4. Look it up yourself! WRT to Duke men's hoops, the archives at Goduke.com are awesome: every player, every game, every stat. Go to "Statistics" under men's basketball, and you can search player or year. for any game I have checked, when you double-click on the result, you get the boxscore. (This is how Sagegrouse knew Heyman had 28 and Mullins 27 in a 40 point beatdown of #6 WVa he attended in 1962 or so). The alternative, which I have relied on more than once, is to post my guess at the answer and let walking encyclopedia Jim Sumner correct the record.
    sagegrouse