Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    He's sitting out the year with a bad knee (I think, or ankle) injury and was already pretty raw to begin with. Check back next Spring.
    He tore his ACL last spring and has been out all season. Interestingly, the doctor who performed the surgery is the same guy who repaired Tiger Woods' ACL after the US Open in 2008.

In December there was a story in the local paper that he was possibly going to be able to come back in January. Obviously, that didn't happen. I would think that by this point in the season, a return is unlikely - why give up a year of eligibility for 10 games or so?

As far as him as a prospect, he averaged about 8.5 points and 8 rebounds as a freshman, and supposedly he is a good shot blocker. Losing both Zoubek and Thomas after this season, it would be nice to have another true big man to back up the Plumlees for the next few years.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

He seems like a kid who could be a good defensive player off the bench and a good role player for us, which you need on a great team. The only thing I would worry about is if he bounces back from this injury, which is one of the thought injuries to come back from. With losing Zoubek and really no one coming in as a "big man" next season, it would be good to get someone like this.

We could have something like this next season:

PG: Irving, Thronton
    SG: Smith, Curry, Dawkins, (possibly a kid like Zeigler)
    SF: Singler, Felix, Kelly
    PF: Miles P,Hairston, Kelly
    C: Mason, Ndiaye

Unabashed Tarheel homer and Duke hater John Kilgo is on Mark Packer's show this afternoon. He said that he watched some of Kyrie's game on ESPN over the weekend and said he was very impressed and that Kyrie looked like one of the best PGs to come into the college game in a long time.

Pretty high praise from a Duke hater who has seen a ton of basketball in his life.

thoughts

I believe Mr. Kilgo wrote a book about Dean E. Smith and is a very BIG unc homer. The one thing that caught me by surprise is, when i heard him on Packers show, i believe it was last year, he not only dislikes Duke but he has a deep hatred and will let anyone who calls in to the show know it. You would think a man of his years (at least 65) in the public eye, would have a little more class when addressing issues like Duke and other ACC schools. That show could only stay on the air in a city like Charlotte, that city is a nesting ground for the unc types. jmo GTHCGTH

Quote Originally Posted by uncwdevil View Post
    Unabashed Tarheel homer and Duke hater John Kilgo is on Mark Packer's show this afternoon. He said that he watched some of Kyrie's game on ESPN over the weekend and said he was very impressed and that Kyrie looked like one of the best PGs to come into the college game in a long time.

Pretty high praise from a Duke hater who has seen a ton of basketball in his life.
    Must be time for Carolina Plan B: Make Kyrie Go Pro Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Must be time for Carolina Plan B: Make Kyrie Go Pro Now.
    hahahaha yeah. I think you will see the two top freshamn in the country in the ACC next year in Barnes and Irving. If that's the case, I think Kyrie goes pro. There is really no way he will past up a boatload of money to stay in school unless he is serious about staying in school, which I don't think he will.

I hope we can see a Duke/UNC showdown like no other next season. There is the potential for it with all the talent on these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    hahahaha yeah. I think you will see the two top freshamn in the country in the ACC next year in Barnes and Irving. If that's the case, I think Kyrie goes pro. There is really no way he will past up a boatload of money to stay in school unless he is serious about staying in school, which I don't think he will.

I hope we can see a Duke/UNC showdown like no other next season. There is the potential for it with all the talent on these teams.

I am already looking forward to it.

Looking forward

I am really looking forward for mason Plumlee to catch a bullet like pass from Kyrie and throw down his signature reverse dunk posterizing harrison barnes in the process. I am willing to spend a grand buy a wall sized photo of that dunk and stick it in my living room

I think you are overrating next year's UNC team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think you are overrating next year's UNC team.
    Maybe... But I think they have a huge amount of talent coming in, and if Davis and Henson don't bolt, and Harrison Barnes is made out to be what we think he is going to, I think this team could be a great team in the ACC.

We could be one of, if not the most talented teams in the country next season bar none. We could the preseason #1, but UNC I have a feeling could be in the the top 10 by season's end. I think it's there one shot to win it all with this group. If Barnes is as great as everyone says he is, he will be lottery bound and bolt. Same thing with Kyrie.

I think between all the talent it could be really really good next year between us and UNC, some of the best in years.

Maybe... But I think they have a huge amount of talent coming in, and if Davis and Henson don't bolt, and Harrison Barnes is made out to be what we think he is going to, I think this team could be a great team in the ACC.
    Perhaps, but that's pretty much the same thing people said about this year's team, and if Davis bolts they won't have solved their two biggest problems: PG and youth.

Wink Good Before Great

Hey 'Knarf:

UNC is having a meltdown of a season. You are not giving that meltdown enough respect by suggesting some new talent is all it needs. This team's psyche is not fixed over a summer, even with three new players.

• As a team, UNC is starting over after this season. The current team is really a mess. It isn't especially competent at any aspect of basketball except swatting shots. It doesn't even play like it wants to win. What is there to build on except some individual talent?
    • Ed Davis is probably not coming back: he got injured, which is always scary if you are an amateur with huge potential earnings; he will be a lottery pick with guaranteed money; he already has a NC ring; and this year isn't a whole lot of fun (which probably means his parents won't lean on him to stay at UNC).
    • Without Davis there is no proven inside player.
    • There is no ACC caliber point guard on the roster today. Maybe there will be a couple next year, but we'll see how quickly they adjust to top-level college hoops.
    • I don't think you will have a great team if you are relying on freshmen on the perimeter.
    If UNC is a contender in the ACC next year, that will represent huge progress. "A great team?" I don't think that's a reasonable prediction.

sagegrouse

Felix

I was looking at the recruiting article in Duke Update. It seems to imply that Felix has decided on Duke. Is that true or is it just wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I was looking at the recruiting article in Duke Update. It seems to imply that Felix has decided on Duke. Is that true or is it just wishful thinking?
    From all the research that I have done its just wishful thinking...We are suppose to be a strong leader but everyone will know in 3 weeks per his FB account. I am just not getting too hyped about this after the HB situation!

Late Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hey 'Knarf:

UNC is having a meltdown of a season. You are not giving that meltdown enough respect by suggesting some new talent is all it needs. This team's psyche is not fixed over a summer, even with three new players.

• As a team, UNC is starting over after this season. The current team is really a mess. It isn't especially competent at any aspect of basketball except swatting shots. It doesn't even play like it wants to win. What is there to build on except some individual talent?
    • Ed Davis is probably not coming back: he got injured, which is always scary if you are an amateur with huge potential earnings; he will be a lottery pick with guaranteed money; he already has a NC ring; and this year isn't a whole lot of fun (which probably means his parents won't lean on him to stay at UNC).
    • There is no ACC caliber point guard on the roster today. Maybe there will be a couple next year, but we'll see how quickly they adjust to top-level college hoops.
    • I don't think you will have a great team if you are relying on freshmen on the perimeter.
    If UNC is a contender in the ACC next year, that will represent huge progress. "A great team?" I don't think that's a reasonable prediction.

sagegrouse
    There always is the possibility that Roy may make a late run at Brandon Knight or Josh Selby!

Quote Originally Posted by Grta View Post
    There always is the possibility that Roy may make a late run at Brandon Knight or Josh Selby!

Not unless he takes a scholarship away from somebody or someone transfers. Roy is a great recruiter but even he couldn't land one of those two this late in the game.

Besides individual talent, what else would there be to build on? I agree that after this year they will start over. However, the proving ground for a team isn't the season, it's the summer. Given the tools that they have, not to mention a chip on the shoulder, it's not inconcievable that as a team they could make significant improvements by next season.

Yes they will lose Thompson and Davis, but they do have plenty of guys waiting in the wings. We've seen flashes from Travis Wear before he got hurt. If it weren't for Zeller's injuries, I think he'd be a top caliber ACC forward by now. Given some time to rehabilitate, I think he could at least have a Zoubek junior-senior level bump in his game. Not to mention Henson, who with a little time in the weight room and a summer to polish his moves, could really be effective next year.

Agreed, thank heaven. I think this is the best point you've made; as other posters have said, without a Felton/Lawson level guard, Williams' whole offense has a lot of trouble getting off the ground. This season is a wonderful demonstration of Huck's deficiencies at a half court offense, and without someone to push the ball, it will stay a half court offense.

Like Kentucky, or Memphis the year before?
    I doubt that new players will on their own perform miracles. However, basketball is a funny game in that when one or two guys step up, it opens things up for everyone else on the floor. Part of the problem with this year's team is that they don't have too many playmakers. With HB coming in, they get that, which makes everyone else play better too. We know the current team has talent, they just need someone to bring it out in them.

For the sake of my personal health, I hope you're right. When Carolina is good, my enjoyment of college basketball is noticeably worse. But I don't think Carolina stays down for long. NC contender, or even tops in the ACC is probably unlikely, but don't think they don't have the ability to be dangerous next year.

Wouldn't that kind of be like selling return trip tickets on the Titanic as "The Band Played On?"

ol' snake oil roy

no

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wouldn't that kind of be like selling return trip tickets on the Titanic as "The Band Played On?"

ol' snake oil roy
    not really.

Look Ol Roy is a MOUNTAIN MAN and he can do a lot of things, but I am not sure he can recruit future bus fodder at the same time he is throwing this year’s team under the bus. He has to have some time to invent more reasons why this year’s failures are not his fault and rehearse his teary eyed pressers. He's only one man for daggum sakes!