Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Recruiting

I wouldn't worry too much about Hairston's rating dropping or improving. Those things are subjective. He can flat out ball and will be a great asset for Duke not matter his rating.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    The word on Hairston is hanging out on the perimeter too much and not being aggressive enough. He is transferring to Montrose with Stu Vetter and he will be playing in France with a US team this summer.
    http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...6112009/472572

There was an article posted on Hairston playing in France, and that happened already.

As to a possible transfer to Montrose, I have not seen a report to that effect.

As indicated in the article, Josh is having a busy basketball summer, and playing against top competition. Look forward to his arrival at Duke next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    The word on Hairston is hanging out on the perimeter too much and not being aggressive enough. He is transferring to Montrose with Stu Vetter and he will be playing in France with a US team this summer.
    I live in the DC area and I have not heard of Hairston transferring to Montrose. Is this a fact or rumor?

Barnes hit a buzzer beater last evening and Kyrie Irving went off for 26 points at the NBAPA Top 100 Camp. Frequent updates from the event can be found here - http://bluedevilnation.net/

A thirteen hour day of covering the best of the best yesterday was tough but worth it. The play offs begin today and there will be some updates along the way.

Brandon Knight is having a nice camp and was the top vote getter in the All Star Game.

What about this kid C.J. Leslie?

I hope hes not another player from Duke's backyard they allow to go to Kentucky because they didnt offer or recruit early enough.

answered earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    What about this kid C.J. Leslie?

I hope hes not another player from Duke's backyard they allow to go to Kentucky because they didnt offer or recruit early enough.
    From all reports, Duke is not likely to pursue Leslie. If you do a little research here, you'll see there is a thread on him:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...980#post298980

According to scout we're now pursuing Tarik Black

http://duke.scout.com/2/873757.html

This kid sounds great, a real aggressive, heavy, and athletic down low player who loves to throw it down and play with a chip on his shoulder. Could be a real asset if we manage to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightz View Post
    According to scout we're now pursuing Tarik Black

http://duke.scout.com/2/873757.html

This kid sounds great, a real aggressive, heavy, and athletic down low player who loves to throw it down and play with a chip on his shoulder. Could be a real asset if we manage to get him.
    according to scout, he's a "Beastly inside player" and one of his strengths is "Traffic Rebounding". he sounds exactly like what we need.

"I hope hes not another player from Duke's backyard they allow to go to Kentucky because they didnt offer or recruit early enough. "

Right, this being an on-going problem and all.

Not to mention...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "I hope hes not another player from Duke's backyard they allow to go to Kentucky because they didnt offer or recruit early enough. "

Next season Duke is going to have three guys who played HS ball in NC, which I'm sure is not a record, but it's the most I can remember. And just in case it is a record, Seth Curry will break it in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightz View Post
    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...asp?CID=957518

Here's the impressions I've got from the various reports from the NBPA camp (naturally I can't copy and paste the scout articles nor post any insider stuff, plus some of this can be found elsewhere on the web) about some of our players and recruits for those who don't follow recruiting on other sites as closely (some of this also coming from the free rivals article up top):

Tyler Thornton: Haven't heard anything so far
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=4274280

On the defensive
    Tyler Thornton (6-2, 190, PG)
    2010, Washington, D.C./Gonzaga, committed to Duke

Thornton plays defense on the perimeter with a willingness and vigor rarely seen in top-notch prospects. He moves his feet very well, easily cutting off defenders and forcing them away from where they want to be on the court. Thornton also has a good body and the necessary strength to keep opposing ball handlers from overpowering him. In fact, his strength lets him dictate where he wants ball handlers to go when they use the dribble.

"Next season Duke is going to have three guys who played HS ball in NC, which I'm sure is not a record, but it's the most I can remember. And just in case it is a record, Seth Curry will break it in 2010. "

In the middle 1940s Duke had four players off the same legendary Durham High School team, Gordon Carver, Bob Gantt, and brothers Cedric and Garland Loftis.

The 1957 team had five NC natives; Richard Rosenthal from Durham, Ed Bryson from Durham, Bobby Joe Harris from King, Hayes Clement from New Bern, and Bucky Allen from Durham. The 1958 team added Jerry Robertson from Burlington and Larry Bateman from Greensboro and subtracted Rosenthal and Bryson. So, five for 1958.

The 1959 team also had five North Carolinians; Robertson, Bateman, Allen, Harris, and Clement.

During the Bubas tenure, three seems to be the ceiling.

Bucky Waters' first Duke team--1970- had four; Randy Denton from Raleigh, Brad Evans and Stuart Yarborough from Durham (different high schools), and Tim Teer from Hillsborough. The 1971 team added walk-on Judge Carr from Durham and lost Teer.

I don't have the data base to examine the pre-ACC years but inasmuch as Duke was a more regional/local university than is presently the case, I suspect some of the earlier Duke/Trinity teams had more than five North Carolinians. But five seems to be the ACC peak.

Note that the Plumlees are all natives of Indiana, although they prepped in NC. Might require an asterisk.

Thanks for the info on Duke players from NC, Jim. Going back a while also, but:

Speaking of getting recruits from the other school's backyard, Jeff Mullins and Vince Taylor say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post
    Thornton plays defense on the perimeter with a willingness and vigor rarely seen in top-notch prospects. He moves his feet very well, easily cutting off defenders and forcing them away from where they want to be on the court. Thornton also has a good body and the necessary strength to keep opposing ball handlers from overpowering him. In fact, his strength lets him dictate where he wants ball handlers to go when they use the dribble.
    Excellent!

The Mullins recruitment was most interesting. I've told the story before but I'll tell it again, since Roy brought it up.

Jeff grew up in Astoria, NY. His father worked for IBM. The family moved to Lexington, Ky when Jeff was in high school, maybe 8th grade.

So Mullins didn't grow up as a Kentucky fan.

Still, Rupp knew what he had in his backyard and Mullins was interested enough to listen. Rupp even enlisted the governor, who invited Mullins to the mansion for a recruiting pitch.

But an ugly episode worked against Rupp. When Mullins was a junior, Rupp was after a senior teammate named Jon Speaks. Rupp offered Speaks a scholarship. Speaks asked for a few days to think it over. Rupp told Speaks in no uncertain terms that nobody turned down Adolph Rupp and withdrew the offer.

Mullins didn't much appreciate the way Rupp had treated his teammate.

Speaks ended up going to NC State. Much of the recruiting was done by an assistant named Vic Bubas. Mullins came into contact with Bubas and was impressed.

A year later, when Bubas had moved 25 miles down U.S. 70, Mullins was receptive to Bubas.

We all know what happened next.

Two more NBAPA Top 100 Camp updates are up - http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=2372

Tip - Thornton is headed down to Duke after the event/

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Two more NBAPA Top 100 Camp updates are up - http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=2372

Tip - Thornton is headed down to Duke after the event/
    Is Hairston actually transferring to Montrose?

We need a confirmation.

I haven't found it anywhere on the boards except that one post, and I couldn't find it anywhere else through Google.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Is Hairston actually transferring to Montrose?

We need a confirmation.

I haven't found it anywhere on the boards except that one post, and I couldn't find it anywhere else through Google.
    Until Hairston announces it, it's not official

"Next season Duke is going to have three guys who played HS ball in NC, which I'm sure is not a record, but it's the most I can remember. And just in case it is a record, Seth Curry will break it in 2010. "

In the middle 1940s Duke had four players off the same legendary Durham High School team, Gordon Carver, Bob Gantt, and brothers Cedric and Garland Loftis.

The 1957 team had five NC natives; Richard Rosenthal from Durham, Ed Bryson from Durham, Bobby Joe Harris from King, Hayes Clement from New Bern, and Bucky Allen from Durham. The 1958 team added Jerry Robertson from Burlington and Larry Bateman from Greensboro and subtracted Rosenthal and Bryson. So, five for 1958.

The 1959 team also had five North Carolinians; Robertson, Bateman, Allen, Harris, and Clement.

During the Bubas tenure, three seems to be the ceiling.

Bucky Waters' first Duke team--1970- had four; Randy Denton from Raleigh, Brad Evans and Stuart Yarborough from Durham (different high schools), and Tim Teer from Hillsborough. The 1971 team added walk-on Judge Carr from Durham and lost Teer.

I don't have the data base to examine the pre-ACC years but inasmuch as Duke was a more regional/local university than is presently the case, I suspect some of the earlier Duke/Trinity teams had more than five North Carolinians. But five seems to be the ACC peak.

Note that the Plumlees are all natives of Indiana, although they prepped in NC. Might require an asterisk.
    Thanks for the historical perspective.

In addition to the other potential Plumlee asterisks , Ryan Kelly lived the first half of his life in Pawling, NY, while his parents, both natives of the Northeast, were teachers at the Trinity-Pawling school.

another offer?

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/06/...ruiting-notes/

A new name for the class of 2010?

...and a great name it is...Fab Melo. Fabricio de Melo is a 7-ft center prospect from Florida.

Don't know much about him, but if Duke could somehow land Fab Melo and Deuce Bello, that would be awesome.