Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Recruiting

I don't agree with that plan, why should a team suffer for a player leaving early. That's like making a team and it's current players not allowed to go to the ncaa tournament, because the players 4 years ago didn't graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Gerry McNamara would be surprised to learn that Carmelo was the only freshman starting that year.
    Oh ya forgot about him. He had a monster championship game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    I don't agree with that plan, why should a team suffer for a player leaving early. That's like making a team and it's current players not allowed to go to the ncaa tournament, because the players 4 years ago didn't graduate.
    Yes, but it puts the burden on the coach to actually get players that want to be at college. In fact if players 4 years ago did not graduate the graduation rate would be low which is what (God forbid) the US Senate wants to use as a means to determine who gets into the NCAA.

I will also add a wonderful reminder. Duke only had 9 recruited scholarship players at the end of this year and WE ARE NATIONAL CHAMPS.

I think this idea would also put a premium on good coaching rather than stock-piling talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

I think this idea would also put a premium on good coaching rather than stock-piling talent.
    Well, sir, I think that you have put the finger on the problem. It is mainly about coaching, not about lying to potential recruits, or getting recruits into the NBA.
    How many National Championships has Calipari won? How many final fours has he been in (other than those vacated)? Exactly.
    Not too difficult to recruit when you say -- come and play for me for one year, and I will see that you get into the NBA. Whoopee -- these are players who could play for Sheboygan State (I sure hope there is not a Sheboygan State) and still get into the NBA quickly. Not much coaching required.

I will also add a wonderful reminder. Duke only had 9 recruited scholarship players at the end of this year and WE ARE NATIONAL CHAMPS.

Not that Duke hasn't been stockpiling talent. Recall that it wasn't so long ago that the "coach K doesn't recruit, he selects" phrase was tossed around. Considering the haul K brought in (in terms of national rankings) from 1998-2005, you could argue that Duke was in a similar boat in terms of bringing in the best players year after year. We just got lucky that we had guys like Elton Brand and Jason Williams who stayed for more than one year. We can definitely credit K for his willingness to recruit kids who would at least "unpack their bags," though we haven't been without surprise early departures/no shows. No matter who Calipari gets out of the remaining recruits, I'm certain that if he were able to assemble a class like ours (especially if you put Dawkins back in the 2010 group), he would take it in a heartbeat. No matter how UK's class shakes out, I wouldn't be so certain that Duke's class including Curry and Felix (or UNC's class, for that matter) aren't UK's equal.

So... looks like we veered off track a little bit...

Is our 2010 recruiting officially done? Any other leads that we are pursuing? (and please I am asking about 2010 recruiting, not 2011... thats for another thread).

Thought this was very interesting on the mid-major front. Of course, we were interested in Ziegler...

Ray McCallum Sr. is the head coach at Detroit, and Ernie Zeigler is the head coach at Central Michigan. Ray Jr. chose Detroit over UCLA, Arizona and Florida, while Trey Zeigler chose Central Michigan over Michigan State, UCLA, Michigan, and Arizona State.

Rating the Point Guard Prospects

Our friends at ACC Basketball Recruiting put up their list and had Kyrie Irving #1.

Here's the list:

http://tinyurl.com/y72bpvz

Not sure where else this could go. Cory Joseph committed to Texas today. I guess Rick Barnes likes players with a wide base on defense (wide enough for opposing players to dribble through).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5130568

Quote Originally Posted by rhodycb View Post
    Our friends at ACC Basketball Recruiting put up their list and had Kyrie Irving #1.

Here's the list:

http://tinyurl.com/y72bpvz
    They have Kendall Marshall over Brandon Knight? That's, uh, interesting.

The center on Carrick Felix team that we were looking at has gone to UW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    They have Kendall Marshall over Brandon Knight? That's, uh, interesting.

Yeah, but their little preface explained what angle they were coming from. With that said though, it is interesting they have Marshall over Knight. I don't care what position he ends up playing, Brandon Knight is going to be a stud. I see Jarryd Bayless when I watch him play. Can't argue with where they ranked Kyrie though!

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome2DaSlopes View Post
    The center on Carrick Felix team that we were looking at has gone to UW.
    Which "UW"?

Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Successful as in their PG will be the top pick in the draft.

Five guys who will be 1st round picks in 2010? They shoulda been in the FF.
    And they were one really bad night away from doing so. I wouldn't use this year's Kentucky team as an argument for why you can't succeed with one-and-dones. They had a really good year that unfortunately (for them) ended on a really bad night. As Duke fans, I think we should be able to appreciate that an earlier-than-expected exit isn't necessarily an exact reflection on the team's quality.

Yes, but it puts the burden on the coach to actually get players that want to be at college. In fact if players 4 years ago did not graduate the graduation rate would be low which is what (God forbid) the US Senate wants to use as a means to determine who gets into the NCAA.
    The problem is that you can never be sure whether a kid will stay or not when you are recruiting them. Even the kids who seem like 4-year guys can leave early. Luol Deng loved Duke and definitely valued education. Many, if not most, expected to see him on the Jason Williams 3-year graduation plan. But the financial situation for his family (as well as the skyrocketing of his draft stock) pushed him to leave after his freshman year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...p-reshape.html

Here's a nice article on the triangle recruits this year

Wink Phonics Are Important

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Which "UW"?
    The poster misspelled it. It's spelled U-Dub.

sagegrouse

Speaking of U-Dub, I'm sure most of you have already seen this but they landed both Terrence Ross and Terrence Jones. They immediately become the elite of the Pac-10.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...-two-terrences