Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Recruiting

surprised to not have seen this bumped given the hairston article on front page:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...8072008/400869

not hugely significant, but for those who have been penciling in hairston for Duke, certainly has to make you rethink...

Yes, I read that article today, and I've got to say, my heart sinks everytime I read something along those lines....Boynton (09), Knight, etc.

As I've gone through life, there have been many times when I have felt I should have lived in the '50's, when things must have been less hectic, less stressful, more optimistic, and above all else, much, much less access to information.

So, to prevent more heartbreak, I might consider following Duke Basketball recruiting less and less. I can't keep getting excited about a player who says (or we infer) that he wants to go to Duke, then ends up someplace else.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I could use some good news on the recruiting front.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Yes, I read that article today, and I've got to say, my heart sinks everytime I read something along those lines....Boynton (09), Knight, etc.

As I've gone through life, there have been many times when I have felt I should have lived in the '50's, when things must have been less hectic, less stressful, more optimistic, and above all else, much, much less access to information.

So, to prevent more heartbreak, I might consider following Duke Basketball recruiting less and less. I can't keep getting excited about a player who says (or we infer) that he wants to go to Duke, then ends up someplace else.

Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I could use some good news on the recruiting front.
    I can relate, but you just have to take a more "se la vi" (sp?) attitude and realize we are going to get our fair share of top recruits and we are going to miss on some (or at least thats what I do). I certainly dont feel that I need to be privy to every little tidbit that is said b/c all that ends up happening is that people over analyze and think that "this guy is for sure headed to BLANK" and then he signs elsewhere and everyone is "shocked." What shocks me is that people are still "shocked" by stuff like that. Teenagers change their mind. A lot.

Smile French

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I can relate, but you just have to take a more "se la vi" (sp?) attitude.
    I agree with you that French would be more tolerable if it were spelled phonetically (like Spanish), instead of trying to making us guess what "c'est la vie" is supposed to sound like.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I agree with you that French would be more tolerable if it were spelled phonetically (like Spanish), instead of trying to making us guess what "c'est la vie" is supposed to sound like.

sagegrouse
    you've captured the true essence of my 1,300+ posts in one sentence. I'm glad someone understands me.

Yes and No

I can relate, but you just have to take a more "se la vi" (sp?) attitude and realize we are going to get our fair share of top recruits and we are going to miss on some (or at least thats what I do). I certainly dont feel that I need to be privy to every little tidbit that is said b/c all that ends up happening is that people over analyze and think that "this guy is for sure headed to BLANK" and then he signs elsewhere and everyone is "shocked." What shocks me is that people are still "shocked" by stuff like that. Teenagers change their mind. A lot.
    I agree that teens change their minds. A lot. When that happens, it can be painful for us as fans, but I can get over it.

I do not like it when the flip flop is malicious, or even calculated. Duke is a prestigious Basketball program. For a recruit to be courted by Duke, (and UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC) it is a real feather in the cap. Duke's academic requirements restrict us from some recruits, unlike the other Kings of the sport (to varyiyng degrees). I accept that some kids will tout being recruited by Duke even if they have ZERO interest in actually coming here.

What I hate is when a kid expresses a keen desire to attend Duke while knowing that there is no such chance of him accepting said scholarship.

Monroe, and very probably Patterson, are prime examples of this. Monroe stated repeatedly that Duke was his dream school. Virtually all of the recruiting world, and this board, had him penciled in. Almost overnight that changed from him being a strong lien to Duke merely being one of his favorites. Then he accepts Georgetown without even a visit to Cameron. To me that says he had no intention of attending Duke. He zeroed in on GU early his senior year and went there. It reaked of bad faith.

Patterson was similiar. He used Duke's interest, and status as a superpower, to fuel interest in his recruiting battle. Many of this boards well connected insiders hinted that an official announcement was imminent. I have no doubt these statements were made based on very solid info from within the program. When the decision comes down, it turns out that Duke is a distant third for Patterson.

I do not like it when a kid changes his mind and Duke gets hosed. But I accept it. Even when it is like Humphries, and the kid changes his mind for all the wrong reasons. But it burns me up when a kid yanks us arround for selfish reasons. At Duke, we cannot move on to the next elite recruit like a lot of schools. We have to ID smart players and recruit the heck out of them. K and the staff are great at this. But it does not leave a lot of time for backup options.

Last year, Monroe really screwed us, hard. I felt that there were some viable backups that Duke could have made a run at if Monroe had been honest.

I have no inside knowledge. This is just my opinion of what these Kids did.

The Worst

The one that frosted my butt was Ndudi Ebi. He asked K to fly down to Texas for his announcement and then proceeded to announce for Arizona. Of course, he reneged on that, went into the draft, stunk, was released, and is now in Europe somewhere.

I agree with Diddy. Hopefully though more recruits will be attracted to Duke and less keen on blowing us off if they get to see Coach K on the Gold Medal Stand with Kobe, Melo, Lebron, Wade and other stars.

Quote Originally Posted by DDB4208 View Post
    I agree with Diddy. Hopefully though more recruits will be attracted to Duke and less keen on blowing us off if they get to see Coach K on the Gold Medal Stand with Kobe, Melo, Lebron, Wade and other stars.
    Coach's don't get medals, but your point is well-taken.

Well, Silky, sorry for the slow reply. Productivity is up these days, I hear. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement. I know I will get hammered for saying this, but I just don't understand what's going on with our recruiting. I know I should be more rational, and have more faith in the powers that be, but something is definitely off.

I remember thinking K's monster class with Elton Brand, et al, was one of the reasons El Deano was going to hang it up. And sure enough, K followed with incredible recruits that were quite a departure from the standard players he had in the 80's and early 90's....more power, and less finesse...more nastiness, less...whatever.

Maybe we got spoiled; maybe there is more competition for the same recruits; maybe those handling the bulk of recruiting are not as good as Amaker and Snyder; maybe it's all about playing time. Who knows?

I guess I just wish we were keeping up with Joneses. By the way, you're in SF, right? I just moved from there back to the East Coast, and am now surrounded by many Carolina fans, which pleases my wife to no end (she's an alum). Anyway, you make me think of the Bay Area everytime you post, so thanks for the memories.

Tyler Thorton and Josh Hairston will take unofficial visits to Duke at the same time as Mason Plumlee (committed) and Andre Dawkins (committed). Josh Hairston and Tyler Thorton are friends and it has been suggested that they will commit in the coming month before the start of the high school season. Andre Dawkins is also friends with Hairston and has apparently been trying to convince Josh Hairston to commit to Duke. Although this could mean nothing, if Josh and Tyler like their visit I have a good feeling that they will both commit in October or maybe even before.

Seems like its about that time when recruits start popping up on the radar. Can anyone give a summary of the 2010 outlook. How many scholarships can we offer, who's committed, who are we looking at? (2009 info bonus)

Thanks for the rundown!

-Skitz

If we can land early in the '10 class a trio of Tyler, Josh and Andre that would be a perfect start.

I'd love to see us get Josh Smith as he would be a dominant post big man but it'll be a tall order getting him off the west coast even though i know we've had pretty decent success lately in doing so.

I think everyone is in love with Harrison Barnes and what he could bring to the table b/c the kid is a flat out stud at 6'6 and would be a phenominal 3 in the Duke system. Kansas is going to be a major player against us for his services so another alternative could be Mychal Parker from charlottesville. He's the #4 ranked SF in the '10 class.

We already have 6 ships offered in the '10 class of what i expect will be at least a 5 man class.

All I have to say is that with the offers we have out and the other players having intrest in us I am excited for hooever we land in 2010.

Doron Lamb

With our recent loss in the Kenny Boyton sweepstakes is there any chance we start recruiting him? With it seeming less likely we will land Brandon Knight everyday I say we grab him. I know he is an Andre Dawkinsesque player but I think this will only add to a stellar 2010 class. Whats your thoughts?

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=3226320

Whoa, Dorons list is massive!! If he did come to Duke him and Andre would battle for minutes and they both seem like potential star players at the same position.

Im a duke fan and just want 2 keep u updated. I currently attend the same school and Brandon Knight. Tonite we had a game and Brandon of course outplayed everyone. Billy Donovan was at the game along with Kenny Boynton. Hope 2 c Coach K down here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Whoa, Dorons list is massive!! If he did come to Duke him and Andre would battle for minutes and they both seem like potential star players at the same position.
    I don't see it happening, but maybe. Duke will have 4 Guards by the time the 2010 class are Freshman.

PG: Tyler Thorton- Freshman
    PG/SG: Nolan Smith- Senior
    SG: Elliot Williams- Junior
    SG: Andre Dawkins- Freshman

Duke is also recruiting a SF/SG type player in Harrison Barnes. Coach K is a genius and would find a way to make it work. I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

19. But if Smith and Williams turn out to be studs, what are the chances they stay in school that long? I think it's safer if we recruit another star PG/SG by the 2010 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveldude50 View Post
    Im a duke fan and just want 2 keep u updated. I currently attend the same school and Brandon Knight. Tonite we had a game and Brandon of course outplayed everyone. Billy Donovan was at the game along with Kenny Boynton. Hope 2 c Coach K down here soon.
    I hate to ask this, but have you heard any scuttlebutt in school as to where he may be leaning.

Considering he allegedly has a high GPA at a quality private high school, one would think that he and, perhaps, both of his parents value education. Hopefully, that's a feather in our cap.