Drug testing in NASCAR?

Long overdue, and it appears some of the drivers agree.

Cup drivers are not represented by a union, like many other professional athletes, but most say they would like to see a program of random drug testing installed to alleviate any chance that people like Fike, arrested while shooting up heroin last July 7 in the parking lot of a Cincinnati, Ohio, amusement park, will be racing against them in the future.

"I've never been asked to take [a drug test], yet, and I think it should be mandatory that we have random drug testing all the time, I think nonstop through the year," two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart said. "Obviously, with this happening, [NASCAR] as an organization we aren't doing a good job of seeing it before it happens.

NASCAR drivers open to drug tests Mike Harris, The Associated Press
    Let's hope it starts sooner rather than later.

Is the issue with drug testing performance enhancement, or danger on the track (that is, are drivers taking amphetamine equivalents to give themselves an energy/alertness boost, or is the concern that drivers are potentially on the track at very high speeds under the influence of substances that may impact their reaction time)? Or both?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

NASCAR and performance enhancing drugs...hmmm, what does that even mean?

I read an article the other day about a driver in the truck series who was taking hard drugs on raceday (i.e. heroin). That most certainly would seem to increase the risk factor on the track.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

What's the benefit of taking drugs for a NASCAR racer? Would it relax them in the high pressure situations?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    What's the benefit of taking drugs for a NASCAR racer? Would it relax them in the high pressure situations?
    That is what I've been wondering? I could see them perhaps taking amphetamines, but that too would impair their judgment. As we've all seen, one wrong move on the track and you are endangering not only your own life, but the lives around you.

Although, the driver mentioned in the article Bluedawg posted did heroin the day he had his best race. How in the heck do you drive high and do well?

Red face Odd question

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Will they test the pit crews?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    That is what I've been wondering? I could see them perhaps taking amphetamines, but that too would impair their judgment. As we've all seen, one wrong move on the track and you are endangering not only your own life, but the lives around you.

Although, the driver mentioned in the article Bluedawg posted did heroin the day he had his best race. How in the heck do you drive high and do well?
    Willing to take risks others won't?

Talking Sponsor's exemption

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I bet Goody's Headache Powder will be exempt from the list, even though it might impair their judgment.

Want to judge Carl Edwards and the Claritin folks?
    Last edited by Lavabe; 04-12-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Claritin