Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nolan Smith is not transferring

A lot of you seem to be hearing rumors, and I know other sites are running with them, but let me calm your fears: Nolan Smith is not transferring. The mods have been deleting rumor-mongering threads per the posting guidelines, but hopefully this will keep anyone else from repeating the same rumor (which actually started a while ago and hasn't had legs for a decent amount of time). Anyway, you may now return to your regularly scheduled offseason programming.

I didn't even hear this rumor but I'm glad it's not true.

I expect Nolan to have a big year next year

I'm betting he shows substantial improvement at playing the point, and may inherit much of Demarcus's defensive duties.

I thought Nolan brought a level of quickness and defensive prowess that we desperately needed this year. I wish he could have shown off his talent a little more. He should get more than his share of opportunities next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    A lot of you seem to be hearing rumors, and I know other sites are running with them, but let me calm your fears: Nolan Smith is not transferring. The mods have been deleting rumor-mongering threads per the posting guidelines, but hopefully this will keep anyone else from repeating the same rumor (which actually started a while ago and hasn't had legs for a decent amount of time). Anyway, you may now return to your regularly scheduled offseason programming.
    Are you basing this on any official announcement that has been made to squash the rumor - link?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Are you basing this on any official announcement that has been made to squash the rumor - link?
    Why would there be an "official announcement?" No one else is making official announcements to say they are returning to Duke next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Why would there be an "official announcement?" No one else is making official announcements to say they are returning to Duke next year.
    I think what he's asking is: Are you saying this is most definitely just a rumor with no basis in fact, therefore it should be ignored OR are you saying: You have sources close to Nolan (or Nolan himself) that confirms the rumor is not true?

In other words, which is the more definitive statement:

1. The rumor is just a rumor

or

2. I know for certain. Nolan will be back next year.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I think what he's asking is: Are you saying this is most definitely just a rumor with no basis in fact, therefore it should be ignored OR are you saying: You have sources close to Nolan (or Nolan himself) that confirms the rumor is not true?

or

-EarlJam
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Who's on first?
    Can't tell the difference in the two?

Sorry to confuse you

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    What? Now we need an official announcement to quash a rumor? Based on his credibility here, I'll take Jumbo's word.
    Agreed. Furthermore, I take it that what Jumbo is saying is that even discussing this issue is absurd in and of itself. Hence, my reference to the most absurd comic sketch of all time, "Who's on first?"

A true Point Guard

I think Nolan showed he had the ability to run the point last year. It's going to be fun watching our point guard blow by defenders, instead of the other way around.

Based on Jumbo's known credibility around here, I'll take his word for it. No official announcement necessary. Consider the rumor quashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Based on Jumbo's known credibility around here, I'll take his word for it. No official announcement necessary. Consider the rumor quashed.
    I'm not doubting Jumbo's credibility. As EarlJam pointed out, I simply wanted to know whether Jumbo's assertion was based on his own "private" sources, or if there was something publically available where I could read more...

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    or
    -EarlJam
    Chrissakes, for the purposes of this board, just accept the fact as true and move on.

Sometimes people remind me of the lawyer who objected when his client was asked to state his name: "Objection, lack of foundation!"

Just because you can argue doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Chrissakes, for the purposes of this board, just accept the fact as true and move on.

Sometimes people remind me of the lawyer who objected when his client was asked to state his name: "Objection, lack of foundation!"

Just because you can argue doesn't mean you should.
    Relax, BD. You're missing my point. No where did I imply doubt as to whether Jumbo's rumor-quashing was true; I most certainly agree that Nolan Smith will be back at Duke next year. I simply wanted to know if this information was gleaned from a public source and I could read the article myself...

There is nothing public because there is no need for anything public.

Jumbo's information comes from multiple sources who are in a position to know stuff like this.

Lets put this to bed now, ok?

--Jason "sometimes you just have to trust good sources, ok people?" Evans

Folks,

This thread is not carte blanche for people to post any rumor they want. The purpose is to dismiss a rumor that was blatantly false but circulating around the Duke community.

Frankly, people are overreacting to all the rumors. I mean, anyone who thinks that Marty Pocius would sit out a year recovering from injury and THEN TRANSFER (which would mean waiting yet another year to play) is just not thinking about how the system works.

Posts with additional rumors are going to be deleted in this thread and, as the rules of the board clearly state, infraction points are going to be given out. I urge everyone to think carefully about posting any rumor. If you are unsure, please email me or any of the other mods and run it by us. There may be some rumors that have enough foundation to merit a thread or a conversation, but you'd be best served to run them by the mods first.

-Jason "hope this does not seem like a slapdown, but the DBR policy on rumors about Duke players is very clear" Evans

Now I am really not understand what is going on...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Folks,

This thread is not carte blanche for people to post any rumor they want. The purpose is to dismiss a rumor that was blatantly false but circulating around the Duke community.

Frankly, people are overreacting to all the rumors. I mean, anyone who thinks that Marty Pocius would sit out a year recovering from injury and THEN TRANSFER (which would mean waiting yet another year to play) is just not thinking about how the system works.

Posts with additional rumors are going to be deleted in this thread and, as the rules of the board clearly state, infraction points are going to be given out. I urge everyone to think carefully about posting any rumor. If you are unsure, please email me or any of the other mods and run it by us. There may be some rumors that have enough foundation to merit a thread or a conversation, but you'd be best served to run them by the mods first.

-Jason "hope this does not seem like a slapdown, but the DBR policy on rumors about Duke players is very clear" Evans
    Hi,

I wrote a note about human nature to worry and mentioned what could be rumors. Somebody then answered my post with a note about how s/he had heard one of the rumors before.

Couldn't the mods just edit out--saying they had edited out what they thought was rumor mongering? I think that in this case they missed the spirit of the post.

Oh well...

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I wrote a note about human nature to worry and mentioned what could be rumors. Somebody then answered my post with a note about how s/he had heard one of the rumors before.

Couldn't the mods just edit out--saying they had edited out what they thought was rumor mongering? I think that in this case they missed the spirit of the post.

Oh well...

GO DUKE!
    We tend to err on the side of over-moderating when it comes to rumors. Sorry about that but that is how it is going to be.

--Jason "my note was not directed only at you, but at everyone -- rumors are a bad idea and will be deleted and result in infractions... period, end of story." Evans

I heard a rumor about BillyBreen's mom...

Sorry - just trying to ease the tension.

BB, I'm sure your mother's a lovely lady and I wish her all the best.