Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach's Summers

Coach's Summers

Roy Williams is canceling a European vacation to go recruiting.
    http://www.ncaa.com/basketball-mens/...aspx?id=189020

Coach K is getting ready for the Olympics.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    Which is why UNC has three incoming McDonald's all-Americans to our one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Route View Post
    challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    So do you have any evidence that Coach K isn't recruiting, as you imply?

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    The fact that he and all three assistants are with Team USA would lead me to believe that they are not recruiting as hard as they could be. Doesn't that seem logical?

Don't forget the camps:

2008 Camp Dates: Session 1: June 14 - 18 | Session 2: June 21 - 25 | Session 3: June 28 - July 2
    http://www.dukebasketballcamp.net/

how many open scholarships do we have as compared to him? How far down the road can you recruit and have an realistic chance of keeping them?

Roy also just met with his big three to see what their future was.

He also discussed having preliminary meetings with Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington and Tyler Hansbrough, three players considering leaving UNC early.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1033033.html
    Maybe this is an indication that he has spots to fill.

Recruiting, in some ways is about visibility

I believe even ego-fed 16 and 17 year olds will understand why K and his assistants aren't at every summer game they play since they will be on tv winning a Gold for the US. Not much more visible than that. Least of my worries.

Simple solution. Let's vote to cancel our olympic participation due to human rights offenses and civil unrest in the Asian continent and thus get our coach back. Novel but probably not very popular thought in our staff meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Simple solution. Let's vote to cancel our olympic participation due to human rights offenses and civil unrest in the Asian continent and thus get our coach back. Novel but probably not very popular thought in our staff meetings.
    sure, let's boycott the olympics because it's the best thing for Duke basketball. great idea...
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The fact that he and all three assistants are with Team USA would lead me to believe that they are not recruiting as hard as they could be. Doesn't that seem logical?
    The linked article notes that Roy Williams canceled a vacation to go recruiting in April.

I strongly suspect that Coach K and the assistant coaches at Duke are also out recruiting in April.

correct me if I'm wrong, but there are "dead periods" during which coaches cannot contact recruits, correct? how much face time with potential recruits is actually being sacrificed by K's commitments to the olympic team?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

One point people seem to be missing in the K/Olympic debate is that (at least I think) it could be great for our recruiting! Coach K and the assistants will be getting a very high profile, working with the best players in the world, and hopefully returning the Gold to the U.S. And, from the preliminaries, the superstar NBA players are ga-ga over K and staff. I think that will HELP a lot with recruits.

Do you have evidence that he is?

How bout we put it this way: we've got evidence that whatever Roy is doing is working REALLY well and we are getting turned down left and right, so I say the proof is in the pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    One point people seem to be missing in the K/Olympic debate is that (at least I think) it could be great for our recruiting! Coach K and the assistants will be getting a very high profile, working with the best players in the world, and hopefully returning the Gold to the U.S. And, from the preliminaries, the superstar NBA players are ga-ga over K and staff. I think that will HELP a lot with recruits.
    This point has been discussed is certainly not overlooked and has been discussed quite a bit. As I say above the proof is in the pudding and it hasn't been working so far. That being said, we havent played in the olympics yet, only in qualifying tournaments and whatnot. So the potential returns from the visibility of being Coach of Team USA may still be out there, but so far I certainly don't think its helped, in terms of recruiting. (i'm not going to say that its hurt us, though that's possible, I think its just been a non-factor so far)

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong, but there are "dead periods" during which coaches cannot contact recruits, correct? how much face time with potential recruits is actually being sacrificed by K's commitments to the olympic team?
    April is an active recruiting month. There's a week and a half that is a dead period, the rest of the month is an active contact time.

All of May and June is a quiet period, no off campus recruiting allowed.

July is probably the most important month. Most of the month is an evaluation period, where coaches show up at various camps and tournaments.

Talking

The linked article notes that Roy Williams canceled a vacation to go recruiting in April.

I strongly suspect that Coach K and the assistant coaches at Duke are also out recruiting in April.
    Besides, Roy just has a nice, relaxing long weekend in San Antonio. Why would he need another vacation this month?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Do you have evidence that he is?

How bout we put it this way: we've got evidence that whatever Roy is doing is working REALLY well and we are getting turned down left and right, so I say the proof is in the pudding.

This point has been discussed is certainly not overlooked and has been discussed quite a bit. As I say above the proof is in the pudding and it hasn't been working so far. That being said, we havent played in the olympics yet, only in qualifying tournaments and whatnot. So the potential returns from the visibility of being Coach of Team USA may still be out there, but so far I certainly don't think its helped, in terms of recruiting. (i'm not going to say that its hurt us, though that's possible, I think its just been a non-factor so far)
    It isn't working? Because we have missed out on a few recruits? That is no different than any program anywhere.

Yeah, I'd like to have Greg Monroe or Patrick Patterson on our team. So would a whole lot of other teams they didn't commit to. Such is life.

A quick check of the recruiting rankings of the past 4 years on scout.com:

2008: Duke 18th. The major reason we're that low is that we only took 2 recruits. The average rating of our recruits is 2nd behind only UNC.

2007: Duke 6th. On average rating, Duke is 2nd, behind only UCLA.

2006: Duke 4th. Average rating 1st.

2005: Duke 2nd. Average rating 2nd, behind Kansas.

Tell me, is there anyone else in the country that you think has done well recruiting besides UNC? 'Cause I think your standards are pretty darn ridiculous if you think Duke doesn't do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    agreed. Should USA come out of this with a gold medal, not only will we hopefully see a replay of last summer (i.e. Kobe and Lebron talking about how great it is play for K), but it allows K to go into a living room and say "Hi recruit X, your game reminds me a lot of Kobe Bryant, and I see you filling Kobe's role on my team."
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    agreed. Should USA come out of this with a gold medal, not only will we hopefully see a replay of last summer (i.e. Kobe and Lebron talking about how great it is play for K), but it allows K to go into a living room and say "Hi recruit X, your game reminds me a lot of Kobe Bryant, and I see you filling Kobe's role on my team."
    very good point. never really looked at it that way.

Tell me, is there anyone else in the country that you think has done well recruiting besides UNC? 'Cause I think your standards are pretty darn ridiculous if you think Duke doesn't do it well.
    Why even bother, GV? I have been fighting this fight for a year since we missed out on Patterson and everyone insisted the sky was falling in recruiting. They do have ridiculous standards and they are just not very knowledgeable about recruiting.

"We haven't signed a big man in forever," they moaned. "Uhhh, what about the #1 big man in the 2005 class in McRoberts, what about the #2 PF in the 2007 class in Singler, what about a top 20 big man in the 2009 class in Plumlee?"

"We seem to be missing on a lot more kids than we ever used to miss on," they cry displaying an alarming lack of historical knowledge. "What about Jarred Jeffires or Brandan Wright or David Lee or Ousmane Cisse or Ndudi Ebi or Dwight Howard or Sasha Kaun or Micah Downs or Jon Brockman?" The list of kids duke hasmissed on in the past 5 or so years is huge. I think many of these moaners only started really following recruiting a few weeks ago.

It is just not worth it. These people will continue to moan and whine about Duke recruiting forever. Facts mean nothing to them. No matter what we do, they'll always think the grass is greener on the pale blue side of the street.

--Jason "a pox upon K for actually coaching the national team!! How dare he!!" Evans