Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    This is a fantastic idea. Might I suggest that in addition to the particular games you recommend/designate, you also include some particular aspects of the game to watch closely.

I can start with one that goes to Coach K's point about how the way the NBA is officiated makes it in many ways less physical than the college game. Watch for how much more freedom of movement ballhandlers have when making moves to the basket.

There's no doubt in my mind that more scouts than college fans are super high on Gerald. I believe that in part because in college he gets handchecked or impeded or rerouted without a foul on so many of his slashing moves to the bucket, whereas in the pro game he would get the benefit of foul calls on those plays much more often because of the officiating guidelines.
    Great, great point. I think Gerald's game is tailor-made for the NBA and as I've said before, I would not at all be surprised to see Gerald eventually become an NBA All-Star. I think he's going to thrive in the league and if he takes the step I began to see in the NCAA Tourney, he'll be one of the very best players in the nation next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Great, great point. I think Gerald's game is tailor-made for the NBA and as I've said before, I would not at all be surprised to see Gerald eventually become an NBA All-Star. I think he's going to thrive in the league and if he takes the step I began to see in the NCAA Tourney, he'll be one of the very best players in the nation next season.
    I would be pretty shocked if Gerald ever became an NBA All-Star. At only 6'4", he would have to be exceptionally skilled and/or quick to become an All-Star. This really isn't even a knock on his game. I love my athletic wings and I think Gerald will become a star at Duke, but the NBA is a league of freaks and Gerald won't stand out there, imo. All-Stars are the freakiest of the freaks, and Gerald really "only" has exceptional leaping ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    So while it's fine to use Shane as an example of a fundementally sound US player, I believe he is the exception, rather than the rule.
    There are an awful lot of "exceptions" leading the NBA's best teams, then. I think of all the playoff-bound teams, the only one whose best player is a foreigner is Dallas. I guess you could count Nash but he attended an American college.

I like Jumbo's proposed NBA discussion during the playoffs. I'm looking forward to "40 Games in 40 Nights" myself.

Problem with Stan's Perspective

Look, anybody watching H can see that there is something special, unusual about his style that makes him extraordinarily effective. The talking heads might point to his exhuberance, his intensity, his ability to go all out every play, but nobody, I mean nobody, actually believes that any of those things is what allows H to score the ball as frequently as he does, in traffic, while being contested by superior athletes. So they try to put labels on it.

It is a fool's game, and Stan is a fool for playing along with it. The issue is not why the talking heads praise H for all the things mentioned above and whether that represents some sort of bias on their parts, it is whether as a college player H has distinguished himself by an ability to score the ball against all comers in a unique fashion. It is obvious that he can and that that skill set is notable, worthy of being noticed and admired.

Now, we all have our ideas about what might contribute to H's success, but the reality of that success is both undeniable and impressive. Very, very impressive. Kevin McKale type impressive. Adrian Dantley type impressive. And, do not laugh, but a little like Earl type impressive. Very, very notable.

Where Stan and the talking heads are all wet are in thinking that they can explain it. Some people try to explain why a certain piece of music is good. In doing so they detract from it. Others just sit back, snap their fingers, tap their feet, or get up and boggy.

Stan needs to learn to dance, if you ask me. His abilities as a commentator are no better than his abilities to assess and properly use talent. And, here, I'm not talking about H; I'm talkin about our guy JJ!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    So I guess you like High school basketball even better! Screw that, lets go watch 7th grade basketball instead.
    Actually, I went to a number of my 16 year-old daughter's boyfriends games and had a wonderful time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    read the whole post...not just one line
    I read the whole post. I pulled the only point you submitted that looked even remotely like actual evidence.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I would be pretty shocked if Gerald ever became an NBA All-Star. At only 6'4", he would have to be exceptionally skilled and/or quick to become an All-Star. This really isn't even a knock on his game. I love my athletic wings and I think Gerald will become a star at Duke, but the NBA is a league of freaks and Gerald won't stand out there, imo. All-Stars are the freakiest of the freaks, and Gerald really "only" has exceptional leaping ability.
    Yeah, my sentiments exactly. Magette is 6'6", and is an even better leaper than him, and much stronger, and he's not an All-Star. I don't see G's skill set as being any better than Maggette's at this point.