Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Stan Van Gundy on Hansbrough - Playing the Race Card

Stan Van Gundy (JJ's coach) has some comments on Hansbrough that I found in Chris Broussard's blog (taken from a Radio interview):

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...roussard_chris

I would point out to Stan Van Gundy that the basketball media have been lavishing praise on Kevin Garnett in nearly identical terms, i.e., "desire," "intensity," "never takes a play off," etc., and have been doing so ever since Garnett came out of high school. I don't see anything wrong with praising either player in such manner.

Thats because Hansbrough isnt the "normal" NBA player in today's game,had Tyler played 20-25 years ago with the current numbers and awards hes had he'd likely been a #1 pick and the questions of his athleticism wouldnt have really been asked.

In today's game its not about your talent,basketball IQ,and attitude but its more about size,athleticism,and potential.

For every Brandan Wright,who doesnt have the talent,or basketball IQ to play in the NBA but has the size,athleticism,and potential there will be a Tyler Hansbrough who has the talent and basketball IQ to play in the NBA but lacks the size,athleticism,and potential.

Thats why theres few teams who play basketball as if it were a professional game while most NBA teams play basketball as if its a show they are putting on for fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Thats because Hansbrough isnt the "normal" NBA player in today's game,had Tyler played 20-25 years ago with the current numbers and awards hes had he'd likely been a #1 pick and the questions of his athleticism wouldnt have really been asked.

In today's game its not about your talent,basketball IQ,and attitude but its more about size,athleticism,and potential.

For every Brandan Wright,who doesnt have the talent,or basketball IQ to play in the NBA but has the size,athleticism,and potential there will be a Tyler Hansbrough who has the talent and basketball IQ to play in the NBA but lacks the size,athleticism,and potential.

Thats why theres few teams who play basketball as if it were a professional game while most NBA teams play basketball as if its a show they are putting on for fans.
    That is absolutely absurd. When was the last time you watched an NBA game?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    That is absolutely absurd. When was the last time you watched an NBA game?
    Last Night.

But this isnt the thread to argue about NBA basketball but look at how teams are currently playing now in the NBA and the choices they make in the draft and compare that to basketball in the 80's and early 90's.

I agree with SVG. I don't know exactly how prominent it is, but perceptions based on race absolutely exist.

Compare the extensive and negative reaction that Carmelo Anthony's punch of Mardy Collins drew with with that of the typical bench clearing baseball fight.

I agree with Franzez, that NBA basketball is approaching the Globetrotters or wrestling in terms of playing to the fans, rather than playing the game. Of course there are exceptions, but, on the whole, it is about "Show Time!"

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    I agree with SVG. I don't know exactly how prominent it is, but perceptions based on race absolutely exist.

Compare the extensive and negative reaction that Carmelo Anthony's punch of Mardy Collins drew with with that of the typical bench clearing baseball fight.
    different sports. different unofficial rules and codes of conduct. apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I agree with Franzez, that NBA basketball is approaching the Globetrotters or wrestling in terms of playing to the fans, rather than playing the game. Of course there are exceptions, but, on the whole, it is about "Show Time!"
    Exactly,the pre-draft workouts are turning into the NFL Combine.

Its funny because All Star Weekend is the pinacle of the NBA season rather than the NBA Finals.

This is so unbelievably wrong that it makes me sick. How many NBA games do you watch? Have you followed the Western Conference playoff race and the night-in, night-out battles that have gone on for 82 games? And wait until the playoffs roll around. Geez. "Wrestling?" "Playing to the fans?" Heck, the NBA gets criticized for being not "fan friendly" enough. The arguments you and Franzez are presenting are absurd. NBA teams play hard and with heart. There are skilled NBA players and great athletes. There are great offensive and defensive teams. There are stars and role players. You know, like college basketball ... just featuring a much higher level of play.

I'm so tired of these negative cliches about the NBA. So tired.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    different sports. different unofficial rules and codes of conduct. apples to oranges.
    I'm not referring to rules, unofficial or not. I was talking about stark contrast in the way NBA and baseball altercations are presented from an ethical and moral viewpoint.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post

This is about as warped an impression of the NBA as there is.

Then please explain why such a large portion of the 1st round draft goes after International talent that has largely exposed all around play. How about we go ahead and name some of the the current major stars of the league that are not thought of as "great" athletes:

Ming, Nowitzki, Nash, Ginobli... shall I go on? (Actually Manu is a pretty darn good athlete)

If you didn't think last night's Suns-Spurs game was at least good basketball, then you weren't paying attention. I actually thought it was terrific basketball.

I'm betting some GM out there is drooling at the prospect of picking up a guy like Hansbrough mid-first round. GM's want to win and put butts in the seats. Hansbrough will help with both of those.
    Last edited by jipops; 04-10-2008 at 10:43 PM.

This is so unbelievably wrong that it makes me sick. How many NBA games do you watch? Have you followed the Western Conference playoff race and the night-in, night-out battles that have gone on for 82 games? And wait until the playoffs roll around. Geez. "Wrestling?" "Playing to the fans?" Heck, the NBA gets criticized for being not "fan friendly" enough. The arguments you and Franzez are presenting are absurd. NBA teams play hard and with heart. There are skilled NBA players and great athletes. There are great offensive and defensive teams. There are stars and role players. You know, like college basketball ... just featuring a much higher level of play.

Do you wonder where exactly all this NBA animosity comes from? I think a lot of it may be from people that don't actually live in an NBA town, of if they do their team stinks.

It also looks like a lot of pre-conceived notions where upon opinions are formed without even watching many, if any games. I do not live in an NBA town, but as a follower of the league since childhood (Magic-Larry era) I have to say this has been one of the more entertaining seasons in a long, long time. If you haven't been following the western conference chase and you really love basketball, well you've been missing out.

I understand if the NBA just isn't for you. I live in a hockey town and I'm simply not a hockey guy. I've tried to watch but it's not for me. I'm not going to start putting down the sport of which I don't know as much about. But I do love the roundball and the play exhibited by the association this year has been stellar.

Nba

The playoffs have been good lately except for the finals. This year has been exceptionally good for the Western Conference in the NBA. A ton of good teams who are all closely matched. Because they are all fighting for playoff spots so deep into the season, the intensity has been pretty high. It's not usually like that though. The Eastern Conference is incredibly painful to watch and has been ever since the Bulls lost their dominance. I live in DC and the only way I would ever go to a Wizards game is if I had front row seats. The games lack intensity and are boring as hell.
    Last edited by blazindw; 04-10-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Lack of civility

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    The playoffs have been good lately except for the finals. This year has been exceptionally good for the Western Conference in the NBA. A ton of good teams who are all closely matched. Because they are all fighting for playoff spots so deep into the season, the intensity has been pretty high. It's not usually like that though. The Eastern Conference is incredibly painful to watch and has been ever since the Bulls lost their dominance. I live in DC and the only way I would ever go to a Wizards game is if I had front row seats. The games lack intensity and are boring as hell.

You obviously didn't go to last night's game. The Wiz beat Boston last night - looked pretty damn intense on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Do you wonder where exactly all this NBA animosity comes from? I think a lot of it may be from people that don't actually live in an NBA town, of if they do their team stinks.

It also looks like a lot of pre-conceived notions where upon opinions are formed without even watching many, if any games. I do not live in an NBA town, but as a follower of the league since childhood (Magic-Larry era) I have to say this has been one of the more entertaining seasons in a long, long time. If you haven't been following the western conference chase and you really love basketball, well you've been missing out.

I understand if the NBA just isn't for you. I live in a hockey town and I'm simply not a hockey guy. I've tried to watch but it's not for me. I'm not going to start putting down the sport of which I don't know as much about. But I do love the roundball and the play exhibited by the association this year has been stellar.
    I don't know, but it's depressing, and I think SVG is right in some of his assessment. It's definitely racial in nature. I think it even extends to the college game -- at least to teams we root against. When a black guy pounds his chest, he's a "punk." When a white guy does it, he has "heart." I think there is a certain amount of racism in some people's distaste for the NBA.

Like you, I understand being turned off to the NBA for other reasons, especially a few years ago, when it was just all about physical defense and isolation play. But rules changes have really helped. Now, teams are still playing great D, but they're doing it with their hands off. Coach K himself has said the college game is more physical based on the way it's officiated. And the changes in the illegal defense rules have led to less isolation play and more teams looking to push the pace.

Obviously, the average NBA regular season game won't match the average ACC regular season game in terms of intensity. You're talking about one game out of 82 vs. one out 16. And if you watch the worst teams in the league, the quality of play can just be sickening. But it's the same way if you watch the Raiders or Dolphins play football, for instance. I just don't get how people can't appreciate the teamwork of the Spurs, the brilliant skill of Steve Nash, the combination of vision, intelligence and athleticism of LeBron, the selflessness of Tayshaun Prince, the verve of Chris Paul, etc. I think there is a certain segment of the population that got turned off by the Knicks-Heat slugfests and haven't bothered to notice that the league is so different right now. It's a shame, because I assume we're all basketball fans here. And there are great basketball games about to be played.

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    This is about as warped an impression of the NBA as there is.

Then please explain why such a large portion of the 1st round draft goes after International talent that has largely exposed all around play. How about we go ahead and name some of the the current major stars of the league that are not thought of as "great" athletes:

Ming, Nowitzki, Nash, Ginobli... shall I go on? (Actually Manu is a pretty darn good athlete)

If you didn't think last night's Suns-Spurs game was at least good basketball, then you weren't paying attention. I actually thought it was terrific basketball.

I'm betting some GM out there is drooling at the prospect of picking up a guy like Hansbrough mid-first round. GM's want to win and put butts in the seats. Hansbrough will help with both of those.
    If so many #1 picks are being used on international players, what does that say about our home grown talent? Isn't this proof that the majority of basketball players in our country today are more interested in making a Sports Center highlight for a devasting dunk, than worrying about mastering the fundementals of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    The playoffs have been good lately except for the finals.
    Up until Monday night, the NBA Finals had a more recent memorable series than that NCAA had a close game. The 2005 Spurs/Pistons series was an incredible 7-game series that was closely fought and required Big Shot Bob to hit a clutch 3 to send the series into a deciding game 7. The NCAA tournament had not experienced a close title game since 2003 and even that game became cosmetically close in the second half. Prior to 2003, the Duke/UCONN game in 1999 was the closest to a classic game.

His comments are so ignorant that you simply have to ignore it.