Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please, Billy, DON'T hop on

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Rumor is the money truck is next headed to Billy Gillespie.

Please Billy, hop on. I'd rather not see a group of coaches leverage this situation into higher salaries, inflating coaching salaries across the board, so I hope it ends with Billy.

I would also delight in watching the UK faithful suffer through losing the coach they were ready to fire at the beginning of the season. Maybe PPatterson would use that as an excuse to transfer to Duke!
    Rumor has it that KY will go after John Pelphrey if Gillispie leaves KY for OK State. I want Pelphrey to stay right where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Did you actually just say that?

What constitutes as urban to you?

Cities With Over 100,000 People?
    Cities With Over 10,000 People?

Athletes do not care about where the school is located,ex. Kansas State in Manhattan,Kansas and Penn State in State College,Pennsylvania but more of the opportunities they'd get at the school and them and their families familiarity with the coaching staff.

If you believe athletes are swayed by the urban aspect of a city then explain why St.Johns University in Queens,New York City and DePaul in Chicago,Illinois did not qualify for postseason play.

If players can be recruited to Kansas than they can be recruited to Oklahoma State its that easy.

Both had McDonalds All American's last season and both had neither this season,the reason OSU wasnt on the same level as Kansas was due to their 2005 recruiting class which was headlined by Gerald Green,Roderick Flemmings and Keith Brumbaugh who all played a combined 0 games at OSU.
    Good grief. No one's arguing that a school being in an urban area is, in and of itself, sufficient for success. But do you not think it helps? If everything else were equal, would you prefer to be paid to recruit for St. John's or Kansas State? When's the last time Penn State landed a big-time basketball player?

Julius "Snapple" Hodge was a quote machine when it came to extolling the virtues of the big city. I dare say that it took a great sales pitch by the coaches at a school with substantial tradition in a great conference to convince him to come to a city in which he was worried about being hit by deer. I don't think Julius was all that unique in his preferences, just a lot more outspoken than most. Think Kansas State has the cache to be able to get many of those guys on a consistent basis?

There are a ton of factors that go into measuring a school's institutional resources/advantages. Whether a school is in an MSA is obviously not nearly the most important factor, but to argue that it's completely meaningless is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Staying put is smart. Could you imagine the pressure that would be thrown at him, taking Pickens' money? How fast would he have to produce? The expectations would be through the roof!
    The kind of "money" being thrown at coaches is just amazing to me. If you're making a million per year, do you really need more? How much more? Ego is one thing, but if you take the "money", I think you deserve all the pressure to produce as can be thrown at you. I think Self is in a very good situation right now. I can't imagine that the money is more important than his situation. I like the fact that he's staying...

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    The kind of "money" being thrown at coaches is just amazing to me. If you're making a million per year, do you really need more? How much more? Ego is one thing, but if you take the "money", I think you deserve all the pressure to produce as can be thrown at you. I think Self is in a very good situation right now. I can't imagine that the money is more important than his situation. I like the fact that he's staying...
    I wonder what the financial difference between the two schools would be for Self in terms of endorsements. It seems to me that the shoe companies and other corporate sponsors (colas, fast food. gatorade, etc.) would be more interested in him coaching Kansas because of a) Kansas' tradition and television exposure and b) that's where he won a title. Also, things like fantasy camps, book deals and speaking engagements would probably earn him more at Kansas. I'm not sure it the endorsements and other revenue streams would make up all money he turned down but from a long term stand point, it might make it close.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I wonder what the financial difference between the two schools would be for Self in terms of endorsements. It seems to me that the shoe companies and other corporate sponsors (colas, fast food. gatorade, etc.) would be more interested in him coaching Kansas because of a) Kansas' tradition and television exposure and b) that's where he won a title. Also, things like fantasy camps, book deals and speaking engagements would probably earn him more at Kansas. I'm not sure it the endorsements and other revenue streams would make up all money he turned down but from a long term stand point, it might make it close.
    Though, it takes a lot of those additional items to raise your income from, say $1.5 million to $4 million!