Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    As we have noted, Gary Walters had not been involved in athletic admin. prior to his AD job at Princeton (though he had been a college b-ball coach). He had a successful business career. He now is widely acknowledged as a terrific AD.

Leo Hart has been on the athletics advisory council for how long?! He has had a very successful business career - managing and administering. He has fundraising ties, contacts for the University . And, the most important job of our AD is and will be fundraising. It is not a long shot to say that Leo Hart would do an excellent job. Were he appointed it would be for many reasons in addition to and other than that boosters like him. How about helping out the Football program? Who better as an AD to do that?
    i have made no comment for or against anybody for the AD's job. The comment you quoted was in response to Mr. Brill's comment "I was told at the football scrimmage yesterday that a prominent group of football alums are supporting leo's candidacy. I suspect they are all major contributors."

It was the inference that someone should get consideration because a bunch of major contributors suppoprt them.

Quote Originally Posted by norduck View Post
    A great 9 minute interview with an excellent alumnus and candidate for AD!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And talk about compliments! Wes Chesson's enthusiastic endorsement of Leo Hart says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    And talk about compliments! Wes Chesson's enthusiastic endorsement of Leo Hart says a lot.
    Says a lot about what? They're close friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    Says a lot about what? They're close friends.
    I'm sure Wes has plenty of close friends that he would not recommend for Athletic Director at Duke. Give him some credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Everything I've read about him has made me think that he may be the best man for the job. Then a ran across these comments that concern me. Taken from an N&O article May 16, 2008

"I am certainly interested in what is best for Duke," said Hart, 59, in a news conference of inductees at the North Carolina Museum of History.

"Duke has been near and dear to my heart forever. It gave me a foundation after I left Kinston. If there were ways I could help Duke, certainly I'd be interested, and I'd be honored to do so."
    Not an enthusiastic "yes i want it" but a very guarded "If they want me I'll serve because i owe them."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Everything I've read about him has made me think that he may be the best man for the job. Then a ran across these comments that concern me. Taken from an N&O article May 16, 2008

Not an enthusiastic "yes i want it" but a very guarded "If they want me I'll serve because i owe them."
    I don't read it the same way. I hear an experienced business man being appropriately low key on a position that will be decided by a committee making a selection after an evaluation process. I don't think anyone should publicly lay it all on the line in that situation.

Just spoke with Richard Riddell, vice chair of the committee, and while he understandably couldn't give names of candidates, he did have some interesting things to say. Check it out at The Chronicle's Sports Blog, dukechroniclesports.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cohen View Post
    Just spoke with Richard Riddell, vice chair of the committee, and while he understandably couldn't give names of candidates, he did have some interesting things to say. Check it out at The Chronicle's Sports Blog, dukechroniclesports.com.
    Nothing new here. Sorry.

Riddell's comments about Duke being so special that only a few people can be considered are about what I expected. The holier than thou attitude needs to take a backseat. Hire a good candidate. There's no need to get into a self indugent lovefest.

Pom

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Riddell's comments about Duke being so special that only a few people can be considered are about what I expected. The holier than thou attitude needs to take a backseat. Hire a good candidate. There's no need to get into a self indugent lovefest.
    Post of the month. Duke fans/coaches/administrators wonder why so many absolutely despise us...this is the attitude that brings it on. Not just the fact we're good. Some in charge need to realize they had nothing to do with Duke being the place it is...their job is to not screw it up.

Word on the street says we should have an answer early June.

Might be quicker than that. N&O reporting that Duke expects to hire Kevin White, Notre Dame's athletic director. Yesterday, the vice chair of the search committee told The Chronicle that the committee expected to provide recommendations to President Richard Brodhead "early in the summer, in June I would say." When talking about the value of an internal candidate, he did mention some other schools with the same ideals, including Notre Dame. The Chronicle's Sports Blog will try to get confirmation and keep everyone updated on the paper's main page and on the blog.

Kevin White and football

Let's be honest. He's done a mediocre job, at best, with Notre dame football. Doesn't mean it's his fault, just don't see him as some sort of savior. I do respect Notre Dame's overall athletic program and their academic standards where it comes to athletes. Lastly, Mike Brey as our next basketball head coach? Wouldn't surprise me.

Let's be honest. He's done a mediocre job, at best, with Notre dame football. Doesn't mean it's his fault, just don't see him as some sort of savior. I do respect Notre Dame's overall athletic program and their academic standards where it comes to athletes. Lastly, Mike Brey as our next basketball head coach? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Save us from what? On its face, looks like a very solid hire.

If you knew anything about Notre Dame football, fans are very pleased with the Weis hiring. Recruiting hasn't been this strong since Lou Holtz' early years. They couldn't stand Davie's ineptitude or Willingham's laziness.

ND fans criticize White for poor negotiating (taking far less BCS money for a modest guarantee in years where they don't reach the BCS), future barnstorming (viewed as selling out the ND brand in the name of gate receipts), upcoming football schedule (severely weakened through 2016), and
    extraordinarily slow building (Brey has been dealing with the inadequate JACC for years...even after Phil Purcell donated a substantial amount to his alma mater in order to renovate the basketball facility). These are some of the reasons that ND fans are rejoicing.

In fairness to White, the Duke job should be substantially easier. As the AD at ND, one has to operate as a "commisioner of one." He won't have to negotiate directly with networks or have to deal nearly as extensively with the politically difficult world of out of conference football scheduling, let alone at a football power (although, theoretically, Cutcliffe will be able to change the culture). Being part of a BCS conference should make his life easier and allow him to concentrate more fully on being a fundraiser. At this point in his life, he should be able to deal with any difficulty that may arise during his time at Duke.

This is a solid hire.

Isn't he the guy that hired George O'Leary?

Full story of White's introductory press conference up on The Chronicle, plus a live blog, constant updates and some photos of White and Brodhead on The Chronicle's Sports Blog, dukechroniclesports.com.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Isn't he the guy that hired George O'Leary?
    That's what *I* was also about to say.

O'Leary, Weis...yeah, this guy has a GREAT track record.

Also, let's not talk about the implications of moving from a very religious-oriented Catholic university to a traditional-Methodist but now super-liberal university. Stuff like that is in the 'intangibles' bracket, but adds up.

I can't get behind this up-front.