Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The thing about cricket is that you absolutely must understand it to appreciate it. For a Yankee like me, that meant watching with a serious fan during my semester abroad. I would have 100% agreed with you prior to one afternoon of watching with a patient and knowledgeable friend.

If you're interested... start poking around the blog posts between Ross Douthat and Alex Massie.

http://debatableland.typepad.com/the...eatest-ga.html

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Cricket bores me to the point that I want to kill myself. Seriously. I'm not even kidding.

Worst. Sport.* Ever.

* I use the term 'sport' lightly when referring to cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    NBA finals game 7 behind a rugby match? Behind a horse race? Behind a non-World Series baseball game?

I guess if you're basing this on the FANS, then thats fine, but like it or not, the NBA is the greatest basketball in the world, and game 7 is as Fgood as it gets.

In addition, I know people bag on the super bowl sometimes, but did you SEE the last super bowl?

I guess I feel like the top title should be revised. Greatest sporting event CROWDS maybe, but BEST sporting events of all time means that the event itself has to be interesting as well.

For ME, that rules out soccer, baseball, horse racing, and rugby before the list even starts.
    You probaly have never been to a rugby game even in the US let alone an All Blacks game. Having been to one and the UNC-Duke games, I gotta tell you, NZ-AUS gives UNC-Duke a run for their money

Oh please. Neither the US Open nor the Masters measures up to the British Open.
    I wasn't wrong, as my list's title was "Greatest American Sporting Events." Lotus was the completely wrong person

I would agree that, worldwide, the British Open is numero uno in terms of golfing events. The Open Championship is the oldest tournament of the four majors, and Scotland is the birthplace of golf. When the event is played on St. Andrews' Old Course, the oldest links in the world, nothing can compare to it. (Except maybe the ACC Tournament Final in Greensboro, Duke vs. North Carolina.)

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    It'd be hard to argue with you. Here is a link of what happens on the field... now just multiply that by 10 for the crowd and set up a huge divider between the fan bases and thats the kind of atmosphere there is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuF_ujlhM6c

or better yet, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca454mmOAqs

Here are links to the second and third parts of the second link you provided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U443j...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWRE...eature=related

The sectarian BS that exists between these two communities drives me nuts. And I have to put up with it within my own family.

My mother's family is Catholic but isn't all that concerned about religious differences - they are kind of anti-protestant but aren't really over the top about it (just some mild comments here and there...like the time I was over there and we were drinking in a bar that used to be a church - I commented that, despite not being religious myself, drinking in a former church just seemed wrong somehow. They replied that it was alright because the place used to be a protestant church so it had never been a 'real' church anyway).

My Dad's family, on the other hand, are protestant and most of them take the religious divide very seriously. My Dad's father died when my Dad was only 15 so my Dad's oldest brother was considered the man of the family. When my Dad married my Mom his best friend (from the time they were 5 years old) refused to be his best man because he was marrying my Mom in a Catholic church. In the end, he didn't even attend the wedding. My Dad's Mom also refused to go to the wedding until my uncle physically (and I do mean physically) forced her out of the house and to the church. Family meant more to him than religion and he and his wife have always been great (their son is also pretty cool and I stay with he and his family while I am over there). But the rest of my Dad's family are ridiculous and none of his other brothers attended the wedding (my Dad is the youngest of 5 brothers).

One of them has a son who lives in California (that son doesn't care about religion either and always comes to the house when he has a stop-over on his way to or from Britain for Man U matches) and that uncle refused to ever come to our house when he had a stop-over on the way to California despite our house only being five minutes from the airport. He described it as a "Catholic house" and flatly refused to ever set foot in it. If my Dad wanted to see him he had to go to the airport to do so.

Another of my Dad's brothers went even further. My Dad went to see him during a stop-over at the airport because he knew his brother, who he hadn't seen in 20+ years, would never come to our house. When my Dad approached him and said hello his brother looked at him and said "Who the F-bomb are you?" My Dad was left to just walk away.

The last brother was even worse and my Dad didn't even bother trying to speak to him at the airport - my Dad just went to the airport and sat about 50 feet away with tears in his eyes (hadn't seen this brother in over 20+ years either) because he wanted to see his brother but knew there was no point in even trying to speak to him. As my Dad got up to go back out to the car I walked over to my uncle and laid into him (I'm 6'1" 225lbs and am far from a shrinking violet). I let him have it with both barrels and told him that I was ashamed to have his blood in my veins (that is the censored version of what I said). His only response to me was that I should "take my Catholic arse and p**s off." It took every ounce of self-control I had not to b***h slap the guy right there in the airport. Being arrested for doing so would have been worth it.

So make no mistake - nothing, and I do mean nothing, compares to the Celtic (Catholic)/Rangers (Protestant) rivalry. Nothing else even comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    The thing about cricket is that you absolutely must understand it to appreciate it. For a Yankee like me, that meant watching with a serious fan during my semester abroad. I would have 100% agreed with you prior to one afternoon of watching with a patient and knowledgeable friend.

If you're interested... start poking around the blog posts between Ross Douthat and Alex Massie.

http://debatableland.typepad.com/the...eatest-ga.html
    My parents both watch it and have tried to educate me about the game but it is no use - I still can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I wasn't wrong, as my list's title was "Greatest American Sporting Events." Lotus was the completely wrong person

I would agree that, worldwide, the British Open is numero uno in terms of golfing events. The Open Championship is the oldest tournament of the four majors, and Scotland is the birthplace of golf. When the event is played on St. Andrews' Old Course, the oldest links in the world, nothing can compare to it. (Except maybe the ACC Tournament Final in Greensboro, Duke vs. North Carolina.)

I had missed the "American" part of your post.

The county I am from in Scotland is home to three courses from the Open rotation. Prestwick, where the Open was first played (for something like 12 out of its first 15 years) but this course is no longer used. Royal Troon, which is still used. And Turnberry, which is still used. Nowhere in the world beats Ayrshire when it comes to golf.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Here are links to the second and third parts of the second link you provided:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U443j...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWRE...eature=related

The sectarian BS that exists between these two communities drives me nuts. And I have to put up with it within my own family.

My mother's family is Catholic but isn't all that concerned about religious differences - they are kind of anti-protestant but aren't really over the top about it (just some mild comments here and there...like the time I was over there and we were drinking in a bar that used to be a church - I commented that, despite not being religious myself, drinking in a former church just seemed wrong somehow. They replied that it was alright because the place used to be a protestant church so it had never been a 'real' church anyway).

My Dad's family, on the other hand, are protestant and most of them take the religious divide very seriously. My Dad's father died when my Dad was only 15 so my Dad's oldest brother was considered the man of the family. When my Dad married my Mom his best friend (from the time they were 5 years old) refused to be his best man because he was marrying my Mom in a Catholic church. In the end, he didn't even attend the wedding. My Dad's Mom also refused to go to the wedding until my uncle physically (and I do mean physically) forced her out of the house and to the church. Family meant more to him than religion and he and his wife have always been great (their son is also pretty cool and I stay with he and his family while I am over there). But the rest of my Dad's family are ridiculous and none of his other brothers attended the wedding (my Dad is the youngest of 5 brothers).

One of them has a son who lives in California (that son doesn't care about religion either and always comes to the house when he has a stop-over on his way to or from Britain for Man U matches) and that uncle refused to ever come to our house when he had a stop-over on the way to California despite our house only being five minutes from the airport. He described it as a "Catholic house" and flatly refused to ever set foot in it. If my Dad wanted to see him he had to go to the airport to do so.

Another of my Dad's brothers went even further. My Dad went to see him during a stop-over at the airport because he knew his brother, who he hadn't seen in 20+ years, would never come to our house. When my Dad approached him and said hello his brother looked at him and said "Who the F-bomb are you?" My Dad was left to just walk away.

The last brother was even worse and my Dad didn't even bother trying to speak to him at the airport - my Dad just went to the airport and sat about 50 feet away with tears in his eyes (hadn't seen this brother in over 20+ years either) because he wanted to see his brother but knew there was no point in even trying to speak to him. As my Dad got up to go back out to the car I walked over to my uncle and laid into him (I'm 6'1" 225lbs and am far from a shrinking violet). I let him have it with both barrels and told him that I was ashamed to have his blood in my veins (that is the censored version of what I said). His only response to me was that I should "take my Catholic arse and p**s off." It took every ounce of self-control I had not to b***h slap the guy right there in the airport. Being arrested for doing so would have been worth it.

So make no mistake - nothing, and I do mean nothing, compares to the Celtic (Catholic)/Rangers (Protestant) rivalry. Nothing else even comes close.
    This story reminds me of a joke (not to make light of your family situation, however) they tell about Belfast:

A rabbi walks into a bar in Belfast. The bartender looks up suspiciously and says: "What are you?" "Me?" the man says, "I'm a Jew." "Right," says the bartender, "But are you a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew?"

2007 Final Game between Cubs and Brewers at Wrigley Field where Alfonso Soriano hit the go ahead homer in the 8th inning!

Greatest game I have ever witnessed in person!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    This story reminds me of a joke (not to make light of your family situation, however) they tell about Belfast:

A rabbi walks into a bar in Belfast. The bartender looks up suspiciously and says: "What are you?" "Me?" the man says, "I'm a Jew." "Right," says the bartender, "But are you a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew?"
    The same joke applies in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

I heard an interview yesterday between Tiger Woods and Scot Van Pelt. Van Pelt went to ask him his favorite courses and Tiger didn't even let him get the entire sentence out before he said St. Andrews. He said it's not even close, but Augusta is second.

It'd be hard to argue with you. Here is a link of what happens on the field... now just multiply that by 10 for the crowd and set up a huge divider between the fan bases and thats the kind of atmosphere there is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuF_ujlhM6c

or better yet, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca454mmOAqs
    I'm almost finished with the first portion of that video (your second link) and just realized that Dr. Tom Devine (a historian) is interviewed...I know him so that was particularly interesting.

Anyone who is curious about the ferocity of this rivalry should watch this video (all three parts). It should put to rest the debate about which is the biggest rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'd say Alabama/Auburn is as intense as Michigan/Ohio State. The schools aren't as big, but the hatred is as strong as anything. I honestly think the people from both schools genuinely look down on the other as inferior human beings. I think they'd make each other their slaves if they legally could.
    There's no comparison between an intense inter-state rivalry and an intense intra-state one.

And having been to many of each, Auburn-Alabama football has to go ahead of Duke-UNC hoops simply because all of the emotion builds up to only one contest in football, whereas with Duke-UNC we know we're going to see them twice, and we all probably feel the chances are close to even that we'll see them a third time.

1995 UNC in Durham is my number one most devastated feeling leaving a sporting event. No other loss to UNC comes close, even though there have been some painful ones. A close Number Two on my list? Every time I've watched Auburn lose to Alabama (it's been a long while).

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    There's no comparison between an intense inter-state rivalry and an intense intra-state one.

And having been to many of each, Auburn-Alabama football has to go ahead of Duke-UNC hoops simply because all of the emotion builds up to only one contest in football, whereas with Duke-UNC we know we're going to see them twice, and we all probably feel the chances are close to even that we'll see them a third time.
    Do you have a favorite memory from a particular Auburn/Alabama game? I have never been able to go, but it is one game that I'd really like to attend at some point (it makes me jealous that I'm marrying someone who has been). The past couple years, student tickets for that game have been between $200-$400! $400!!!!!!!! And you'd probably need to find a student id just to get in to the opposing team's student section.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Do you have a favorite memory from a particular Auburn/Alabama game? I have never been able to go, but it is one game that I'd really like to attend at some point (it makes me jealous that I'm marrying someone who has been). The past couple years, student tickets for that game have been between $200-$400! $400!!!!!!!! And you'd probably need to find a student id just to get in to the opposing team's student section.
    Definitely 2002 in Tuscaloosa. Alabama was cruising into the game around number six nationally, and Auburn was coming in off of a crushing defeat at the hands of your beloved Bulldogs (memories of that finish still evoke physical discomfort). After drilling Auburn at Auburn the year before, it looked like the ten-point favorite Tide would take their second in a row under Franchione and really wrest control of the rivalry. What made the build-up even richer was Franchione's refusal to even utter the word "Auburn" in public, instead referring to "that school down the road."

Well, Auburn dominated the game from the start and pulled off the biggest pointspread upset in the series in the last twenty-five years (and probably forty), winning 17-7. A couple of weeks later Franchione left for College Station, Alabama chose a woefully unqualified Mike Shula as his replacement, and the Tide are still stuck on one victory versus Auburn this decade.

Many contend that the state of both programs might be wildly different today had that game turned out differently. I count myself among that number.

The only thing I would say is missing from Auburn/Alabama is dominance of the program. Every team I put up on the list is partly there because when they play their rivals they are playing for more than just bragging rights (championships, playoffs, international cups/awards, etc...), and that makes the atmosphere that much more amped. Auburn/Alabama is spectacular, but these aren't teams that vie for championships year in and year out...

The only thing I would say is missing from Auburn/Alabama is dominance of the program. Every team I put up on the list is partly there because when they play their rivals they are playing for more than just bragging rights (championships, playoffs, international cups/awards, etc...), and that makes the atmosphere that much more amped. Auburn/Alabama is spectacular, but these aren't teams that vie for championships year in and year out...
    Sorry...I wasn't really referring to your list. Our threads were merged about best sports events, but I was hoping to hear about stories from people about their favorite sporting events they've been to. Or I'd like to hear stories about why people want to go to a particular event that they've never been able to attend. Besides, anyone's top 10 list of best sporting events of all time is opinion. I could have the opening day of 10 of UGA's sports teams as my ten best sporting events, and it's perfectly valid if it's that important to me. <---I work with a guy who is actually like this.

However, I would argue that there is usually a good deal at stake when Auburn/Alabama play. Usually, one of the two is competing for a spot in the SEC Championship game, which leads to a BCS Bowl.

Well, if we are talking history, how about the 1969 NBA Championship series between the Lakers and the Celtics. Man, you had Russell, Chamberlain, Havlicek, West, Baylor -- everybody. And it comes down to the last shot in the seventh game. And this was the only time that the MVP was from the losing team (West). I was in Virginia, and listened to it on the radio -- Thrilling, even on the radio.

Smile Slew 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I'll cast my vote for any horse race where there is a big unsettle question on the line. That usually is the Kentucky Derby every year or going for the Triple Crown when eligible. I have attended the following events and would list them in order:
    1) Ruffian vs. Foolish Pleasure Match Race - Amazing build up. People wearing Him/Her buttons days in advance. Soupy atmosphere weatherwise. Packed, Standingroom only at colossal Belmont. Coal Black filly vs. Male Hope. Unforseen, Poignant, Unforgettable End to Fabled Career.
    2) Affirmed vs. Alydar Belmont to win Triple Crown - neck and neck for 3 furlongs. Alydar's only chance to win is if Affirmed didn't see him coming. Affirmed had an amazing will to win evidenced by making up 15 lenghts on Sensitive Prince in the Jim Dandy later that year. Tough Horse.
    3) Spectacular Bid goes for Triple Crown - and is defeated by a safety pin and a Peter Panish horse named Coastal.
    Watching any Duke Basketball Player in a game of HORSE has to be included on this list; obviously
    Larry
    DevilHorse
    Well Larry, seems I didn't see you at #s 2 &3 back in the 70's. I was near the finish line in the grandstand for that whole stretch run w/Alydar & Affirmed. FWIW, Slew's Belmont win was better than entry#3.

Also, I will be moving to Lexington later this year. While scoping out neighborhoods 2 weekends ago, I encountered three streets side-by-side: Darby Creek Road, Alydar, and Affirmed Roads.

Having seen the last two Triple Crown Belmonts, I really hope we'll have a Triple Crown soon. Horse Racing needs it!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I spent a semester in Glasgow and I distinctly remember being told that if anyone asked who we rooted for we were to say the name of some neutral third team. On days where the two played we were advised to avoid going to bar or downtown. However, the highlight of my trip to Scotland was playing the Old Course. It was like an out of body experience that I vow to replicate some time.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I spent a semester in Glasgow and I distinctly remember being told that if anyone asked who we rooted for we were to say the name of some neutral third team. On days where the two played we were advised to avoid going to bar or downtown. However, the highlight of my trip to Scotland was playing the Old Course. It was like an out of body experience that I vow to replicate some time.
    http://ptfc.co.uk/

???

The PPS program in Glasgow really is a gem. Did you have David Stansfield?