Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I agree. Soccer is the second most boring team sport in the world. Cricket is the worst. Baseball comes in third.
    Sounds like a NASCAR fan to me... (wink wink)

NBA finals game 7 behind a rugby match? Behind a horse race? Behind a non-World Series baseball game?

I guess if you're basing this on the FANS, then thats fine, but like it or not, the NBA is the greatest basketball in the world, and game 7 is as Fgood as it gets.

In addition, I know people bag on the super bowl sometimes, but did you SEE the last super bowl?

I guess I feel like the top title should be revised. Greatest sporting event CROWDS maybe, but BEST sporting events of all time means that the event itself has to be interesting as well.

For ME, that rules out soccer, baseball, horse racing, and rugby before the list even starts.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus000 View Post
    I agree that the U.S. Open is a great event, no doubt, but...if you're going to roll the golf route, I have seven words for you:

"The Masters, a tradition unlike any other."
    Oh please. Neither the US Open nor the Masters measures up to the British Open.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Sounds like a NASCAR fan to me... (wink wink)
    I've only recently started watching Nascar. I like Indycar (or Champ-Car or whatever the heck they were calling themselves before they settled the dispute with the IRL) but never really got into F1 or Nascar until this year. I watched a couple of races with my former roommates and, although I'm not hooked yet, I do find myself looking forward to raceday.

Warning, off topic rant:

NASCAR is racing designed to be competitive, and they do a good job at it. However, for me, its boring as crap, b/c the cars are junk. I'd rather go see the local track late models run instead. Its just as arbitrary.

F1 on the other hand, is the fastest cars in the world, driven by the best drivers in the world. Jimmie Johnson can't hold a candle to the talent of a Fernando Alonso or a Kimi Raikonen.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I think you're both wrong. The Ryder Cup trumps them both. There is something incredible about athletes representing more than just themselves. It can be peers (college sports), religions (The Old Firm), class (Boca/River is about rich/poor), or nations (Olympics, Ryder Cup, etc.). If you're looking for a common theme, in my opinion, that is it.
    I agree that the Ryder Cup is amazing - I am glued to the TV the entire time. But I think the British Open is better because of the tradition/history, the courses, the field, and the fact that it is played every year. Then again, not being played every year is one of the things that makes the RC so special.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    NBA finals game 7 behind a rugby match? Behind a horse race? Behind a non-World Series baseball game?

I guess if you're basing this on the FANS, then thats fine, but like it or not, the NBA is the greatest basketball in the world, and game 7 is as good as it gets.

In addition, I know people bag on the super bowl sometimes, but did you SEE the last super bowl?

I guess I feel like the top title should be revised. Greatest sporting event CROWDS maybe, but BEST sporting events of all time means that the event itself has to be interesting as well.
    Yah, I take your point... I was really going for greatest event meaning greatest environment. That is to say, if somebody were to step back from their biases (ex: i hate horse racing and baseball, basketball is life etc...) and look at all the major sporting events in the world as a general fan of sporting competition... which would be the 10 best events to take part in...

Warning, off topic rant:

NASCAR is racing designed to be competitive, and they do a good job at it. However, for me, its boring as crap, b/c the cars are junk. I'd rather go see the local track late models run instead. Its just as arbitrary.

F1 on the other hand, is the fastest cars in the world, driven by the best drivers in the world. Jimmie Johnson can't hold a candle to the talent of a Fernando Alonso or a Kimi Raikonen.
    I'd also love to see Nascar drivers turn the other way for a change...

I'd also love to see Nascar drivers turn the other way for a change...
    here, here!!

Warning, off topic rant:

Alonso? Surrriously? Man I am SO glad he got busted back to Renault. Kimi, however, is awesome...(listen for his 'fer sure' in every press conference). I'm also tremendously glad that the idiot JPM is in NASCAR instead of F1 now, where he can spin people out that have a cage around them.

Back to other things...

Yeah, soccer is tremendously boring. I don't see how the Europeans like it, but they do. That being said, as far as 'best sporting events...' I would go see a World Cup match just to see those weirdos cheer.

I don't see how the Europeans like it
    ummm, a more accurate statement there might have been, "I don't see how the rest of the whole world likes it."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    ummm, a more accurate statement there might have been, "I don't see how the rest of the whole world likes it."
    Yeah, I forgot how much the southern half of North America and all of South America like it.

Still, the good ol' US of A is right to hate it! These colors don't run dadgum!

Yeah, I forgot how much the southern half of North America and all of South America like it.

Still, the good ol' US of A is right to hate it! These colors don't run dadgum!
    Roy??

I agree. Soccer is the second most boring team sport in the world. Cricket is the worst. Baseball comes in third.
    I totally forgot! This should absolutely be on the list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

If its Huckleberry Hound then I guess those colors are the red and blue of KU.

dagnabbit

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Where's Duke-UNC football? The passion, the excitement, the history, the clash of traditions of excellence, the national title implications?
    Haha you made me laugh

Having been to games at both duke and unc, i can say that it comes down to:
    WHO SCREWS UP LAST? or WHO SUCKS LESS?

unfortunately that has been Duke for the last few games

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    If its Huckleberry Hound then I guess those colors are the red and blue of KU.

dagnabbit
    I dun told you these colors don't run dadgum!

And anyways, it ain't Roy, it's me, it's me, it's Ernest T!

Yeah, soccer is tremendously boring. I don't see how the Europeans like it, but they do. That being said, as far as 'best sporting events...' I would go see a World Cup match just to see those weirdos cheer.
    You wanna see soccer weirdos cheer? Go see an Old Firm match - I doubt much else compares.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I totally forgot! This should absolutely be on the list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes
    Cricket bores me to the point that I want to kill myself. Seriously. I'm not even kidding.

Worst. Sport.* Ever.

* I use the term 'sport' lightly when referring to cricket.

You wanna see soccer weirdos cheer? Go see an Old Firm match - I doubt much else compares.
    It'd be hard to argue with you. Here is a link of what happens on the field... now just multiply that by 10 for the crowd and set up a huge divider between the fan bases and thats the kind of atmosphere there is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuF_ujlhM6c

or better yet, check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca454mmOAqs