Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stickergate

Sticker-gate Where do you stand on this thing?

Oh do you even care? I think the timing was bad for Huckleberry Hound. I understand he loves KU and he spent 15 years there, but this is also the team that destroyed his team of title hopefuls. I've read some heel fans say if Knight had beat Duke in the FF, K would be in the stands supporting him. While I don't doubt that K would support Knight, I don't see him wearing an IU or TT sticker or shirt in the stands, especially if that same team just humiliated his on the national stage. I could see where some of the UNC fans and players might take umbrage with this.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would care about this. However, I certainly understand that people WOULD care about it, and would expect that Coach Williams would see the situation in a similar light. From a distance and obviously without knowing the man, it seems that Roy suffers from a desire to be liked by everyone. I don't fault him for that, but it certainly creates some interesting situations.

It was a silly thing to do. Just sitting in the KU section would be a fine and normal thing for Roy to do, given his long tenure there and the fact that a lot of his ex-players were also in the stands. (A lot of coaches go to the FF, after all.)

But why wear a silly Jayhawk sticker, and why leave it on for the national TV interview?!? It's like it's more important for him that fans of KU accept him back into their fold than for him to represent UNC. I can imagine his train of thought, but I can't help but to think of that train of thought as somewhat childish.

He was hired to more than just coach the basketball team - he was hired to represent the university. In essence, part of hisjob is marketing the brand. This happened only two days after KU knocked his team out of the tournament. It was incredibly poor judgement on his part.

Roy-Will should just coach his own damn team.

This was a patronizing move, intended to be conspicuous.

He could have supported his former school just as fervently by wearing benign apparel. He chose not to, and must now wipe his feet before returning to the good graces of Tar Heel nation.

Given his salary, if he was going to wear anything with Jayhawks on it, couldn't he afford a sweater or a hat?

Wearing something with Carolina on it, and something with Jayhawks would have been a much better tact than wearing a STICKER! That's an insult to both teams!

Maybe Roy lost a bet and was forced to wear the goofy sticker.

I heard why he did it on 850 the buzz...

One of the callers had the only rational reason for wearing it. He was proud cause one of HIS recruits finally made it to the National Championship Game, let alone won it.

This isn't anything to do with the fact that KU beat his team a few nights before this happened.

Roy's first mistake was to go public with the fact that he was hurt that some KU fans still hold a grudge against him for leaving KU the way he did. He has moved on to UNC and he should more than happy with the UNC support. It would show that he has moved on and was happy with UNC. The hurt feeling might indicate he hasn't.

Secondly, being he made point 1 publicly known, his act of wearing the jayhawk sticker was bound to make some KU fans a little happier but make some UNC fans worry about his loyalty to UNC.

Supporting, cheering for a team is one thing but wearing something of theirs is another.

This all reminds me of that picture of Roy standing next to that guy with the shirt that says "I don't give a ^&$% about North Carolina."

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    While I don't doubt that K would support Knight, I don't see him wearing an IU or TT sticker or shirt in the stands, especially if that same team just humiliated his on the national stage. I could see where some of the UNC fans and players might take umbrage with this.
    I think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. In my opinion it is the "thought that counts"

If roy had worn a tie that was Kansas colors it would have been a more subtle gesture and we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, yet it would have "meant" the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    I personally cannot understand why anyone would care about this. However, I certainly understand that people WOULD care about it.
    huh? shoulda coulda woulda?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Roy-Will should just coach his own damn team.

This was a patronizing move, intended to be conspicuous.
    Mike, who do you think he was he patronizing? The holes?

Quote Originally Posted by millerecu View Post
    One of the callers had the only rational reason for wearing it. He was proud cause one of HIS recruits finally made it to the National Championship Game, let alone won it.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzing!

Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    I personally cannot understand why anyone would care about this. However, I certainly understand that people WOULD care about it, and would expect that Coach Williams would see the situation in a similar light. From a distance and obviously without knowing the man, it seems that Roy suffers from a desire to be liked by everyone. I don't fault him for that, but it certainly creates some interesting situations.
    I agree that Roy suffers from a desire to be liked by everyone.

The whole hulabaloo might be a way for Tar Heels to transfer their pain for the big loss into anger against something that helps them forget. If so, I am against it totally

a great pic

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Oh mah darlin
    Oh mah darlin
    Oh mah darlin Clementine
    Some folks think I'm uh traitor
    And that I dun cross't tha line.

what really was offensive was ...

his tie on Saturday night.

When I first saw his tie, I said to myself that was reason enough for UNC to lose. Gosh it was ugly.

I concur that Roy wants to be liked by everyone. I have no problem with him staying and cheering on Kansas, but I found him wearing the sticker to be somewhat pathetic. That said, I am not worked up about it. I'll leave that to IC.

Whooooaaaaa... really a LOT of angst at Inside Carolina! (some of it even expressed in non-vulgar, correctly spelled terms) Roy, what have you done??

Rotflmao!

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Oh mah darlin
    Oh mah darlin
    Oh mah darlin Clementine
    Some folks think I'm uh traitor
    And that I dun cross't tha line.
    Funny ... I was thinking one of ol' Huck's sidekicks, Snagglepuss:

Exit... stage right!

Tick... tick... tick ... how long before Roy bolts to Kansas?

I had to stop posting last night on the DBR, as IC was in MAJOR meltdown, and I was just heaving in hysterics. dukemsu caught the beginning of it on another thread. Perhaps the IC miscarriage reference is just a wee bit hyperbolic and over the line.

I'm glad Roy didn't wear a Crimson & Blue tie. Knowing the Caro-whinea fashion curse among its basketball coaches, he'd have offended MORE people.

You know ... I haven't stopped smiling since Saturday.

9F Cheers,
    Lavabe

Was the sticker designed by Alexander Julian? If not, Roy has some explaining to do.

I think this whole issue is ridiculous. He was just showing support to a program he loves. I truly believe Dean basically had to drag him way from Lawrence. He has tried to mend the relationship since.

Perspective from the Charlotte Observer
    http://aboverim.blogspot.com/2008/04...but-thats.html

Talking Oh come on ...

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Moderators: this is just SCREAMING for a caption contest!

If Roy returns to CIS, perhaps all the Crazies need to wear a Jayhawk sticker.

This photo is too much!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Sitting here finishing up my break at work but had to chime in--when I read the sing-a-long I lost it laughing. Seriously, what was he thinking? I understand that he'd want to cheer them on from some level (he was the face of their program for a long time) but like has been mentioned before, wear a colored tie & sit with their fans and cheer. Don't wear the emblem of a team that just WAXED your team less than two days prior. All I know is it's been a couple of peaceful, quiet days since Saturday. . . . . .ahhhhhhh.