Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Well if you're talking about fan support in numbers here in NC, native NC Duke fans are the few, the proud. Obviously UNC and NC State have more fans here than Duke being the two major state universities. Some would argue that we may actually be in 5th place behind ECU and App as well, depending on where you are in the state. We'll always be ahead of Wake though
    What's Wake?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    What's Wake?
    It's a football school

No, it's actually a soccer school

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    why is the teacher sitting so far from the rest of the class in the above picture... i dint get it

i copied this from someone else in another thread; thanks to whoever it was
    ...and who's the big kid on the right end, standing with the white jacket on? Is that a wedding ring? Large for her age, n'cest pas?

Quote Originally Posted by aheel4ever View Post
    Well, I was born and raised in Durham, and have spent a good deal of my life around Duke fans. If you don't think that there are any Duke fans capable of poor behavior, you're kidding yourself. That's my point.
    Duke fans have a higher level of tradition and understanding than unc followers. unc front runners have a disappointing level of information to add to basketball discussions other than "we're #1" and neanderthal shouting down of anyone who opposes their mass hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Pak Song View Post
    Duke fans have a higher level of tradition and understanding than unc followers. unc front runners have a disappointing level of information to add to basketball discussions other than "we're #1" and neanderthal shouting down of anyone who opposes their mass hysteria.

i agree. you can't talk to Tar Heel fans on any level of sanity. even when they start out the convo being slightly sane, soon, dean smith, michael jordan, and "we got 5 rings you got 3" are the dominant positions of conversation.

my buddy Ambrose Bierce defines POSITIVE as "being mistaken at the top of one's voice"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    According to ESPN the Maryland fans did boo the Duke cheerleaders when our Women played the NCAA up there.
    Not only did they boo the cheerleaders, they booed the team, the band, any mention of the word Duke, and any call against Murray State or Arizona State. As Duke left the court after the ASU game, our players waved their hands in gracious acknowledgment of the crowd's support.

Unc

Haven't read the whole thread but when I was about ten, I went to a two week summer camp in Carolina. Most of the counselors were Carolina students.

When I showed up to activities in my Duke hat, I was expecting some minor ribbing. So I fully expected that the counselor was joking when she told me I could not participate in tennis if I wore my Duke hat. Unfortunately, I was the only one laughing when she made that statement. I'm proud to say that I gladly sat out for fifteen or whatever rather than succumb and take off the hat.

Anyway, she eventually let me play.

Smile Reverse Problem

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread but when I was about ten, I went to a two week summer camp in Carolina. Most of the counselors were Carolina students.

When I showed up to activities in my Duke hat, I was expecting some minor ribbing. So I fully expected that the counselor was joking when she told me I could not participate in tennis if I wore my Duke hat. Unfortunately, I was the only one laughing when she made that statement. I'm proud to say that I gladly sat out for fifteen or whatever rather than succumb and take off the hat.

Anyway, she eventually let me play.
    My daughter has a friend who graduated from Duke and enrolled in the athletic administration program at UNC. Normally grad school is no big deal -- you can keep your undergrad alliances because everyone else is from other schools. Howsomever, one requirement in this program was that you had to coach PE, which involved wearing Tarheel sweats and shorts -- a real come-down for a diehard Blue Devil.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i agree. you can't talk to Tar Heel fans on any level of sanity. even when they start out the convo being slightly sane, soon, dean smith, michael jordan, and "we got 5 rings you got 3" are the dominant positions of conversation.

my buddy Ambrose Bierce defines POSITIVE as "being mistaken at the top of one's voice"
    We can always take solace in the fact that, until they win another title, they DON'T have 5. It drives me nuts seeing them wear shirts and coats claiming the mystery title. Personally I never heard them claim that until we won our
    3rd. There is no way to have a rational conversation with them but it can be entertaining--I have a friend who stomps, rants, & raves talking about how good they are. . .it's a sight to see. I'll stand back and let him go through his hystrionics because it cracks me up but he makes little sense--few of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It's a football school

No, it's actually a soccer school
    I think it's a field hockey school.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think it's a field hockey school.
    I think all THREE are correct

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

I always figure the response to that is 'K has 3, how many did Dean win again?'

Teacher

When your mom is a teacher you are held to a different standard than classmates. And every teacher has heard all the excuses in the world for quote unquote bad behavior and disobedience. I couldn't get away with anything in school. So in 5th grade after lunch each day we were given sheets with lyrics and my teacher would play the piano and we would sing.

One day she attempted to introduce us to the UNC theme song and when I wasn't singing she sent me to the principals office. The principal called my dad, and normally I would have been dreading to see him walk through the door. When the principal told my father I'd refused to participate in the singing he asked me why. When I told him they had wanted me to sing the UNC theme song he looked at the principal and said, "he will NOT be singing THAT song, please send him back to class tell Mrs Graves she needs to find better songs and please don't bother me again with needless trips up here"!