We repeat...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aheel4ever
    I think you're kidding yourself.

Example please.

EXAMPLE...please.

Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by aheel4ever View Post
    Well, I was born and raised in Durham, and have spent a good deal of my life around Duke fans. If you don't think that there are any Duke fans capable of poor behavior, you're kidding yourself. That's my point.
    My point is that there is a difference between poor behavior and drunk fans accosting a woman travelling by herself on an airplane of all places, where she's stuck and there's absolutely nowhere she can escape to. Over basketball? Really? This obviously wasn't good-natured teasing; how many times have you (in person) seen a flight attendant threaten to land the plane!? I've been on hundreds of flights and can't say I have.

Like I said, Duke fans aren't perfect; I never said they were and many of us are far from it. But I can honestly say I wasn't surprised when I heard UNC fans did this. And I don't think I'm the only one that can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    I really don't have a problem with UNC's players or coaches. Shoot, the programs are mirrors of each other in a lot ways. But the fans, yeah, I have a big problem with UNC's fans. I have met maybe one UNC fan EVER who was not obnoxious about their team and Duke.

My daughter has been given a hard time all year in one of her high school classes by an anti-Duke, UNC-loving teacher. No problem - her average is 99. And she is having ABC driven into her bones.
    Agreed. I would say over 95% of my hate for UNC is due directly to their fanbase. After a while, I realized it wasn't just a few select fans giving the rest of you guys a bad name; a good most of you are insane as far as basketball is concerned. I'm sure you might be upstanding citizens in most areas of your life but not when it comes to being basketball fans. Just my $0.02..

I'm sorry that I can't recall the specific date. However, I can assure you that I personally during my childhood incurred more than one instance where I was "harassed" by adult Duke fans. Now, it's true that I haven't witnessed such behavior on an airplane, so you might have me there.

I believe the post that I originally responded to states that a plane full of Duke fans are incapable of poor behavior toward a child fan of a rival. I believe the quote was "It just wouldn't happen." If you think otherwise, just keep on living that dream; I won't be able to change your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I would say over 95% of my hate for UNC is due directly to their fanbase.
    Wow. Rashad McCants, Danny Green, and Jeff McGinnis don't even add up to 10%?

I'm sorry that I can't recall the specific date. However, I can assure you that I personally during my childhood incurred more than one instance where I was "harassed" by adult Duke fans. Now, it's true that I haven't witnessed such behavior on an airplane, so you might have me there.

I believe the post that I originally responded to states that a plane full of Duke fans are incapable of poor behavior toward a child fan of a rival. I believe the quote was "It just wouldn't happen." If you think otherwise, just keep on living that dream; I won't be able to change your mind.
    I don't think Duke fans represent all that's right with the world, but I just don't see that incident happening with fans from any other schools except UNC and Kentucky. Just one man's opinion..

aheel4ever,
    I have lived up and down the east coast. Never have I seen such unsportsmenlike behavior as I have seen from Heels fans, and I lived in Red Sox nation and Yankee country. Both of which are rivals to my O's.

As I noted above a Heel fan decorated my desk with tasteless pictures of Coach K, I have seen inappropriate things hung in the work place bashing Duke by Heel fans, and I work at Duke. Never have I seen a Duke fan do the same thing.

The class of young people I teach at church are anything but Duke fans, and yet it is the Heel fans that are rudest. I do not laud victories over anyone, as what goes around comes around. Thus when WE beat YOU in February, I kept my mouth shut, didn't say a word about it. But when you beat us they couldn't get enough razzing in, which I quickly nipped in the bud reminding them they were being poor winners.

You may think we are all wearing rose colored glasses, and there may be some truth to that. And, I'm sure there are some obnoxious Duke fans out there, but they do not compare to the Heel fans we have all encountered. Perhaps you may be the exception to that.

I think you're kidding yourself.

show your work.

Yeah, I fail to see any new development or surprise here. It is pretty pathetic that they did it on a plane where the poor girl had nowhere to go, but alas, look at who were talking about here.

Duke fans aren't perfect and we all know that. But I have a hard time believing that would ever happen on a plane full of Duke fans. It just wouldn't.
    Where are you going to find a plane full of Duke fans?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    aheel4ever,
    You may think we are all wearing rose colored glasses, and there may be some truth to that. And, I'm sure there are some obnoxious Duke fans out there, but they do not compare to the Heel fans we have all encountered. Perhaps you may be the exception to that.
    Well, we see things through our own eyes, and often see the same things differently. But, yes, I believe there are plenty of Duke fans just as bad as the Heel fans you have all encountered, and those who believe otherwise are indeed wearing rose colored glasses.

If the following is considered harassing, then I am the Duke fan he is talking about: If I see someone wearing UNC apparel, I will often teasingly (I hope) comment on the ugly shirt or hat. I am usually quick to point out that I support a deeper shade of blue, we laugh, and go our seperate ways. If that is harassing, please let me know and I will stop immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    my son and i wear our duke gear often....we take the harrassment often.

bring it.
    WORD. Me and pops do the same thing. Bring the ruckus.

Ah yes, the dream. Thank goodness we you to bring us back down to reality with your predictive powers that tell us what will/would happen in a future hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Breezes View Post
    Where are you going to find a plane full of Duke fans?
    On a private Jumbo-Jet

(come on, someone has to find that aweful pun funny)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If the following is considered harassing, then I am the Duke fan he is talking about: If I see someone wearing UNC apparel, I will often teasingly (I hope) comment on the ugly shirt or hat. I am usually quick to point out that I support a deeper shade of blue, we laugh, and go our seperate ways. If that is harassing, please let me know and I will stop immediately.
    Great post. Seriously, in fairness to UNC fans, perhaps because I live in NYC the intensity is dialed down, but I have worked with a number of UNC grads at my firm. Our teasing was nonstop, but never rose to the level that I am reading on this thread. Again, perhaps it's because of the geography (the 500 miles distance).

Or, without sounding elitest, maybe it's because of the nature and training of folks working at a client-service firm, where from the first year as a staff accountant you are taught to respect/put up with different client types and personalities...

Now about those Braves fans.... :-)

missed one

I don't think Duke fans represent all that's right with the world, but I just don't see that incident happening with fans from any other schools except UNC and Kentucky. Just one man's opinion..
    MARYLAND TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Blublood - YOU ARE MY HERO!!!

A few years ago - can't remember exactly how long ago, but it was early Roy era at UNC - one of the guys I worked with covered my desk with bad pics of Coach K prior to a Duke/UNC game. Ticked me off! But we won the game and I smiled all day the next day, did not mention one little word to him about his teams collapse.
    I beg to differ, Tilly - you are clearly a far more mature adult than I!

O.k., back to the regularly scheduled debate about whose fans are worse... (it's clearly UNC's, especially because it seems that most of their "fans" have no connection whatsoever to Carolina and are over-compensating, but that's no reason to squelch discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I beg to differ, Tilly - you are clearly a far more mature adult than I!
    Well that ruined my day. I hate being the "M" word. But don't have the guts to do what you did. Thus, you are my hero.

Let's be clear. The story that started this whole thread was about a Kansas fan who was an adult woman (emphasis below is mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyduke View Post
    The following letter appeared in today's Charlotte Observer from a woman in Overland Park, Kansas:

"I was appalled to hear of the harassment my daughter received at the hands of drunken Tar Heel fans on her flight to San Antonio -- all for daring to wear her Kansas Jayhawk sweatshirt. Both my daughters live in Charlotte, so I knew UNC fans were rabid, but I'd never have expected such trashy behavior toward a woman traveling alone. The insults -- from men and women alike -- were so intense a flight attendant had to step in and threaten to land the plane to eject the guilty parties. Badly done, UNC faithful. This was no way to represent your university.
    I'd like to think that UNC fans -- even drunk ones -- would show better discretion toward a child traveling alone. Like everyone else here, I don't know the extent of the harassment, but I'd imagine it goes beyond the level of good-natured teasing, or even bad-natured teasing.

Duke fans think UNC fans are obnoxious, and vice versa. (By sheer numbers, there are more UNC fans, which may account for the negative experiences of the people on this board.) I think there are an unfortunate few on each side that go overboard. (Again, by sheer percentages, this means more UNC fans go overboard.) But I think it's shortsighted and phony for us to pretend that Duke fans are better than anyone else. There may have been a time when that was true, but it's long gone.

(Where I'm coming from: I'm a Duke alum in Las Vegas, where people are still a bit sore about 1991. But even before I came here I didn't wear Duke merchandise because, frankly, I don't need the headache.)

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    MARYLAND TOO!
    Speaking of Maryland, up here in DC, a lady at Giant (a local grocery store chain) refused to check me out because I was wearing a Duke warmup and cap. She was like "I'm not checking you out, I hate Duke. Go Terps." She had someone else come to ring me up, but I had to stand there and wait about 5 minutes before someone would come. This was also back in the fall, well before ACC season had arrived. Now, UNC fans can be downright nasty, but I've never been refused service from a UNC fan because I'm a Duke fan.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I know several Dukies who say their children are routinely harrassed by teachers at school who back Carolina -- shameful!" Evans
    Not sure I've ever told this story before . . .

When I was in 4th grade, my teacher was a DIEHARD Tar Heel. At the first Duke/UNC matchup that schoolyear, could have been football or basketball, UNC won, and she came in and (knowing my family's love for Duke) starting razzing me, "What happened to Duuukkkke?!?!?!?" Naturally, not so long afterwards, when Duke beat UNC in basketball, I mistakenly assumed that I had equal rights. I marched into class with my Duke shirt on and asked, "What happened to Caroliiiiiinnaaaaa?!?!?!?"

She sent me out into the hall. For a long time. Later, she apologized to me saying it was unfair for her to have taken her disappointment out on me when I had only acted as she had. I think I would have rather been sent out into the hall again.

Can't imagine why I hate carolina fans. By the way, I have had several people, some both non-Duke and non-UNC, say that the Tar Heel fans have been especially obnoxious this year. Makes last weekend even sweeter. I do not razz them. I torture them making them sweat it out, waiting for the moment when I'm going to come down on them. But I don't, and it drives them crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    On a private Jumbo-Jet
    Nice, I approve.

That being said, I think it all comes down to numbers. I think every fan base has the jerks, but UNC being a public school with much greater numbers, has greater numbers of jerks. I think it's the same thing that leads to the "ugly girls at Duke" myth. It's just that UNC has so many more students, given the same percentages, they have a greater number of "hot" girls and guys. In addition, as it is the public school, a greater number of people unconnected to the school (ie: not alums, undergrads, children of alums, etc etc) end up supporting the school, further increasing the numbers and number of jerks.

Referencing an earlier post, I too am 6'1 and 190, so maybe people are less inclined to get in my face.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Not sure I've ever told this story before . . .

When I was in 4th grade, my teacher was a DIEHARD Tar Heel. At the first Duke/UNC matchup that schoolyear, could have been football or basketball, UNC won, and she came in and (knowing my family's love for Duke) starting razzing me, "What happened to Duuukkkke?!?!?!?" Naturally, not so long afterwards, when Duke beat UNC in basketball, I mistakenly assumed that I had equal rights. I marched into class with my Duke shirt on and asked, "What happened to Caroliiiiiinnaaaaa?!?!?!?"