Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Look guys, this isn't black and white, that's why its not technically cheating to do what Kansas and Calipari and many, many others have done. Its impossible to prove that Mr. Chalmers was not truly qualified for the job he was given and that the only reason he was given it was to lure his son. Its equally impossible to prove that Ms. Harper (Duhon's mom) somehow got preferential treatment in looking for a job or was paid more than she was qualified to earn.

All we can do is look at the people involved and their track record. If you want to accuse the cleanest coach in America, the face of all that is right with college basketball, and a former Army Captain no less, with an IMPECCABLE RECORD in all aspects of the game (including morality) of being sleazy and trying to do something unethical, then fine. You don't know very much about Coach K and Duke Basketball. If you don't see a pattern with the track records and reputations that other coaches and programs have amassed, then fine. You're just clueless or oblivious. Calipari has been called out in public by other coaches (cheney) for being a cheater and has a very murky history, at best. We've already discussed how Kansas has done this before, and recently got a slap on the wrist for recruiting violations that occurred under Roy, I believe. If you can't connect the dots then go back to school and learn and how to draw.

And let us not forget that Kansas was cited for multiple recruiting viloations under Larry Brown's watch too.

Larry Brown

That's another thing I don't really like. I guess Self was on Brown's staff but they are too different coaches. To link them is unfair in my opinion. They are too entirely different coaches and their moves are totally isolated. And if someone is going to play the assistant coach thing up, well K was an assistant to Knight but that doesn't mean that you see him throwing chairs. Similarly, Snyder was an assistant for K but that doesn't mean that his shadiness should be linked to K.

And again, just to reiterate, while I did not look into the VIvian Harper or Boozer situation closely when it happened, it has never bothered me at all. I simply joined others in making that point in response to the criticism of Kansas to show how these things can always be construed in different ways based on the respective fans.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    That's another thing I don't really like. I guess Self was on Brown's staff but they are too different coaches. To link them is unfair in my opinion.
    To link the tactic of hiring the recruits' fathers into an important basketball position is not necessarily associating the coaches behaviors in other respects. The fact that the hirings occured with Brown and Self at the helm, that Self was an assistant to Brown during the Manning era, and that both hirings occured at Kansas is obviously not a coincidence

I really don't think this is a big deal. If you are interested in reading about some shady recruiting to Kansas though, read about Jaron Rush's recruitment. There's a good chapter on it in Sole Influence, basically just detailing how Rush befriended a wealthy Kansas booster who sponsored his AAU team, sent him around the country to play and let him "borrow" his car, gave him shoes and so forth. Rush was ready to commit to KU, but the story broke and with all the bad pub, Ol' Roy basically refused to take Rush's LOI. So he went to UCLA.

Women's basketball has its own shenanigans. Tasha Humphreys, who was a top 5 recruit was widely reported to be going to Duke during her high school days. Somehow her mother became an assistant at Georgia a year before Tasha graduated. Guess where she went to school?

I think Danny decided that he preferred to go to Kansas and play for Larry, than UNC and play for Dean. That meant that Ed had to get out of Dodge. Hiring Ed made perfect sense. He played the same style as his son and was obviously good at developing him. With his son leaving to play for Larry over Dean, Ed definitely needed to get out of Dodge. Nothing sleazy in this scenario. Danny did not sign with Kansas to get his old man a coaching job; makes no sense.

Addendum

And, somebody at Kansas did something right because Danny did bring them a Championship. How often does that happen? Hey, maybe it was Ed?

BTW, who is Chris Redding. He play for Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    And, somebody at Kansas did something right because Danny did bring them a Championship. How often does that happen? Hey, maybe it was Ed?

Chris Redding:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...p?playerid=300

Chris Redding

Yep, see Indoor 66 post below. 2 more posts and you have that honor instead of Bob Fleischer who is your 'moniker' right now

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yep, see Indoor 66 post below. 2 more posts and you have that honor instead of Bob Fleischer who is your 'moniker' right now
    Dare I ask, who Mr. Fleischer is? If we're going to name me after a player of yore, I'd prefer SteveCram, an ever so elegant center for the Big Red, who was taken at a young age (early twenties). Steve Cram was what playing the pivot position on and off the court was all about. Second thought, Fleischer I'm sure is a better match.

Dare I ask, who Mr. Fleischer is? If we're going to name me after a player of yore, I'd prefer SteveCram, an ever so elegant center for the Big Red, who was taken at a young age (early twenties). Steve Cram was what playing the pivot position on and off the court was all about. Second thought, Fleischer I'm sure is a better match.
    Bob Fleischler:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...p?playerid=137

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    An honor, if for the hair alone!