Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

kansas vs memphis

im rooting for kansas because they beat carolina, that alone would get me cheering for them. but i also picked them in my yahoo bracket. big money pot, kansas show me the money

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    im rooting for kansas because they beat carolina, that alone would get me cheering for them. but i also picked them in my yahoo bracket. big money pot, kansas show me the money
    I'm rooting for Kansas for 2 reasons:

(1) Gratitude for them beating the Tar Heels in such spectacular fashion
    (2) Calipari makes my skin crawl

Kansas and Memphis will be a very nice matchup, and hopefully a great, great game. Kansas has the advantage inside, Memphis has such big, athletic guards. I really don't have an opinion of who will win this one. If both teams play to potential, I think it will be close, and it will be fun to watch.

We do owe Kansas this one, so I will have to root for them on Monday night. It just would not be right if I didn't. We need to show them our gratitude in a big way.

Definitely rooting for Kansas out of gratitude. Also, I win a pool if they win.

Memphis is currently a small 1.5-pt favorite for Monday night. That team has really surprised me. I still don't consider Memphis to be a particularly skilled team overall -- although, obviously, CDR is, and Rose is a stud -- but they've been dominating offenses with their length and athleticism, especially their length. Much of their own offense has just been taking rebounds and turnovers and converting to dunks and layups in transition. They're like the '85 Bears of college basketball right now. If Memphis goes on to throttle Kansas' offense as well, we'll have to remember them as one of the best defensive teams ever.

Who really cares who wins

Does it really matter ? Both teams could win and it really has no impact whatsoever. Kansas because they beat Carolina or Memphis because they have not played for a national championship.

Maybe Memphis in a very, very small way so I would be assured that Derrick Rose would turn pro and maybe just maybe my Knicks could get him the draft and begin the long, long road back to respectibility. I know that Beasley could turn out to be a superstar in the league but for the Knicks, Rose would be a better fit.

Don't we root for Kansas because?

Memphis is the new Vegas? I really don't like Calipari.

I don't have strong feelings about Self.

Memphis

I mean no disrespect to Kansas, but I expect Memphis to win easily.

BTW, Kansas was lucky they got to play an almost dead UNC team in the semis.

sagegrouse
    'The grouse is back on the East Coast, and the weather is awful. Should have stayed in the Rockies, where the awful weather is welcomed with open arms.'

Right now, I can't really find a reason to pull for either one. Maybe I'll go with Memphis because a Kansas win give them 3 championships - tied with Duke.

rock, chalk, jayhawks... why not... should be a good game... rose might now be a 100% so who knows...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaato...ory?id=3332589

Go Kansas!

I like Self and like this Kansas team, but Memphis has been playing on another level the last few weeks. Kansas can play with them and win, but they're still prone to a good ten minutes a game of absolute brain lock...I don't think that will get it done against Memphis.

Memphis will win because

the Jayhawks will be exhausted after holding off Carolina in the late game (definitely a disadvantage) on Saturday. Memphis will run them off the court UNLESS Kansas' bigs take over inside. No rebounds, no fast break.

memphis....by a lot...

kansas won't have the mojo they had sat....

I'm a convert--I really thought Memphis would be the first one out, but they are playing at such a high level right now, I'm picking them. It was interesting to watch the press conference Sunday--they seem to just really, really like each other and like playing together. I know that's an intangible, but I think it makes a difference.

I think people in this thread are writing off Kansas too easily. Memphis is very good, but so is Kansas. And Kansas is very good at neutralizing the opposing team's best weapons. Rush can handle Douglas-Roberts. The key will be containing Rose. And Kansas won't likely lose track of Dorsey like UCLA did.

I'm not saying Kansas will definitely win, but I don't think Memphis will blow Kansas out. I'm picking Kansas because they have so many weapons, because they have the advantage in the post offensively, and because they pride themselves on defending against great individual players. That said, Memphis will have the best player on the court (Rose) and certainly have talent at other spots. And anytime you have the best player in the game, you have a good chance to win.

I'm excited for this game tonight.

I agree, Cdu. Gun to my head, I'd take Kansas. I'm excited for the game but at the same time, I have a feeling it's going to be ugly. Too much defensive talent on the court for either team to get into an offensive rhythm. It's gonna be one of those games where afterwards, fans and media might ridicule the game and the winner for being so ugly. Which would be wrong, of course, since defense is as much a part of the game as offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I agree, Cdu. Gun to my head, I'd take Kansas. I'm excited for the game but at the same time, I have a feeling it's going to be ugly. Too much defensive talent on the court for either team to get into an offensive rhythm. It's gonna be one of those games where afterwards, fans and media might ridicule the game and the winner for being so ugly. Which would be wrong, of course, since defense is as much a part of the game as offense.
    I could definitely see that happening. Both teams are so athletic and so good defensively that it could wind up being a disjointed track meet with lots of athletic misses and blocked shots.

I'll take Kansas

The four big guys will give Memphis a tougher time inside than they've seen this year. The Kansas perimeter is good enough to at least slow down Rose and CDR.

Pomeroy makes Kansas a 3 point favorite, with a 65% chance of winning. None of which matters, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The four big guys will give Memphis a tougher time inside than they've seen this year. The Kansas perimeter is good enough to at least slow down Rose and CDR.

Pomeroy makes Kansas a 3 point favorite, with a 65% chance of winning. None of which matters, of course.
    I think one big key will be how effective Kansas is at getting the ball inside. They have a clear advantage in offensive prowess and in depth inside. Their perimeter players have a tendency to be a bit more streaky, though. And they can sometimes forget that they have an advantage almost every night inside.

The other key will be how Kansas handles Rose. I think they match up well at every other spot. Rose is a solid matchup with CDR. I don't know who will win the matchup, but it is pretty balanced. Rose is the trouble spot. He's bigger than Kansas's guards and he is as quick and explosive (if not moreso). Further, he can post up or beat you off the dribble. If Kansas can keep him from going off in transition and contain him in the half court, they should be in good shape.

Ultimately, Rose is the only spot on the floor in which Kansas is at a big disadvantage. How well they minimize that disadvantage and how well they make use of their advantages at other spots will determine who wins (obviously).

Think you meant

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think one big key will be how effective Kansas is at getting the ball inside. They have a clear advantage in offensive prowess and in depth inside. Their perimeter players have a tendency to be a bit more streaky, though. And they can sometimes forget that they have an advantage almost every night inside.

The other key will be how Kansas handles Rose. I think they match up well at every other spot. Rose is a solid matchup with CDR. I don't know who will win the matchup, but it is pretty balanced. Rose is the trouble spot. He's bigger than Kansas's guards and he is as quick and explosive (if not moreso). Further, he can post up or beat you off the dribble. If Kansas can keep him from going off in transition and contain him in the half court, they should be in good shape.

Ultimately, Rose is the only spot on the floor in which Kansas is at a big disadvantage. How well they minimize that disadvantage and how well they make use of their advantages at other spots will determine who wins (obviously).
    That Rush, not Rose, is a good matchup with CDR. Of course, if Rush gets in foul trouble, Kansas becomes very small on the perimeter.

I still think that Kansas's inside game will put a lot of pressure on Memphis's limited frontline, so that's why I'm picking Kansas, but I expect a good and close game.