Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Masters

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    So as I hit send, he eagles 15 to go back to Even par.

Yeah, what do I know!?!?!?
    Hilarious. Only two minutes between these posts.

I said before the start that Tiger is far from the lock everyone believes, but Thursday is way too early to count him out.

So as I hit send, he eagles 15 to go back to Even par.

Yeah, what do I know!?!?!?
    The pin placement for 15 today is VERY generous. If guys just play conservative and put it in the middle of the green, it's an uphill put into the hole. Don't be surprised if there are a few more eagles at 15 today.

Tiger came in at even par and looks like he'll be 4 back from the leaders. Not a great day, but he's in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Tiger came in at even par and looks like he'll be 4 back from the leaders. Not a great day, but he's in contention.
    as they say - you cant win a tournament on the first day - but you sure as heck can lose it.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Field

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Are you sure Tiger is 7/5 (bet $5 to win $7) and not 5/7 (bet $7 to win $5)?

Otherwise you can make both bets simultaneously and come out ahead regardless of what happens. For example, bet $10 on both Tiger and the field. If Tiger wins you're ahead $4; if anyone else wins you're ahead $35.
    If you bet $10 on both, are you not out $6 if Tiger wins? $20 bet, $14 won.
    If you bet $10 on both, the field nets you $25. $20 bet, $45 won.

Would seem betting only the field would be the better bet. Greater chance for gain with only slightly more lost if Tiger does win.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Here are my choices for the Calcutta:

Harrington 13.9
    Garcia 13.5
    Weir 13.0
    Ames 12.0
    O'Meara 9.2
    Woosnam 9.0

Total - 71.3

ETA: I obviously didn't cheat by checking the leaderboard before making my choices...are mulligans allowed?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I need some help from all the Masters experts. I'm in a modified Calcutta this year. The way it works is I get 72 "points" to spend on six golfers. I need four to make the cut, and then the low four scores are added up to make my score. The lowest combined score wins.

I've never done anything like this, but it seems like it is going to be a lot of fun. Try putting together a six man "team" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Maybe some of you can start your own games?

Thanks as always!

Woods 18.0
    Mickelson 15.1
    Els 14.9
    Singh 14.7
    Furyk 14.5
    Stricker 14.2
    Furyk 14.5
    Choi 14.0
    Harrington 13.9
    Sabbatini 13.7
    Stenson 13.6
    Garcia 13.5
    Ogilvy 13.5
    Rose 13.4
    Donald 13.3
    Cink 13.2
    Johnson 13.2
    Baddeley 13.1
    Weir 13.0
    Appleby 13.0
    Goosen 12.9
    Verplank 12.9
    Mahan 12.8
    Poulter 12.8
    Clark 12.7
    O'Hair 12.5
    Immelman 12.5
    Allenby 12.5
    Casey 12.3
    Howell III 12.2
    Calcavecchia 12.1
    Villegas 12.0
    Ames 12.0
    Westwood 11.9
    Austin 11.8
    Snedeker 11.7
    Oberholser 11.7
    Toms 11.6
    Jimenez 11.5
    Weekley 11.5
    Rollins 11.5
    Cabrera 11.3
    Watson 11.2
    Taylor 11.1
    O'Hern 11.0
    Romero 10.9
    Slocum 10.9
    Fasth 10.8
    Holmes 10.8
    Dougherty 10.7
    Green 10.7
    Kelly 10.6
    Byrd 10.6
    Senden 10.5
    Hansen 10.5
    Olazabal 10.4
    Taniguchi 10.4
    Karlsson 10.4
    Sterne 10.3
    Katayama 10.3
    Watney 10.2
    Chopra 10.1
    Trahan 10.0
    Flesch 10.0
    Lowery 9.9
    Curtis 9.8
    Campbell 9.8
    Couples 9.7
    Wetterich 9.7
    Hansen 9.5
    O'Meara 9.2
    Milkha 9.2
    Bateman 9.1
    Micheel 9.0
    Woosnam 9.0
    Wagner 8.5
    Langer 7.5
    Marksaeng 7.5
    Liang 7.5
    Watson 7.0
    Hamilton 6.5
    Stadler 6.2
    Crenshaw 6.1
    Mize 6.1
    Weaver 6.0
    Thompson 6.0
    Kuehne 6.0
    Lyle 5.2
    Zoeller 5.0
    Floyd 5.0
    Player 5.0
    Mickelson 15.1
    Furyk 14.5
    O'Hair 12.5
    Kelly 10.6
    Wetterich 9.7
    Langer 7.5

Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Scoring Low

Tiger is 6 shots back right now, and he hasn't teed off. The leaders are going low. Immelman has a good history at Augusta, I would probably call him the favorite right now.

In order to have a chance, he simply must be 3 or 4 under par today, or he's done. Considering he hasn't shot below par at The Masters is something like 5 rounds...I would argue he's due.

Golf's young guns (Snedeker and Immelman) aren't waiting around for Tiger and he has some tough golfers between him and the top, including Phil, Furyk, Goosen, Johnson, Westwood and Cink. It won't be easy to leap frog to the top but he has three rounds to catch them and many of his competitors have a difficult time when his name begins to climb the leaderboard.

gw67

Tiger is 6 shots back right now, and he hasn't teed off. The leaders are going low. Immelman has a good history at Augusta, I would probably call him the favorite right now.

In order to have a chance, he simply must be 3 or 4 under par today, or he's done. Considering he hasn't shot below par at The Masters is something like 5 rounds...I would argue he's due.
    I disagree that Tiger would be done if he only shot 1 or 2 under today. Even 6 or 7 shots back, he would be a serious threat. He has made up more ground in 2 rounds in the past, that's for sure.

That said, I think Tiger would much rather be within about 3-5 strokes of the lead

He is already 1-under thru 1 today -- birdies on the first are not super common (it is playing as the 5th toughest hole on the course so far this year). Tiger may be dialed in and preped for a big round. If he puts up a 66, the entire field will shudder in fear.

--Jason "Steve Flesch put up a 67... big round!" Evans

Bogey on 2

Tiger is done. End of story. He now is even on the par 5's having played 5 of them. He simply can't do that. 8 strokes back with a ton of good players between him and the lead - it's over.

I presume you turned off the 2001 NCAA basketball championship game with about 8 minutes left in the first half.

By the way, through two complete rounds, Trevor Immelman's a blistering -1 on the par 5's. Clearly, you can't go low at Augusta without owning the par 5's.

I'm not saying Tiger's going to win, or even that it's likely, but to declare his chances nil after 20 holes is patently ridiculous. It's Tiger Woods, man.

Tiger is done. End of story. He now is even on the par 5's having played 5 of them. He simply can't do that. 8 strokes back with a ton of good players between him and the lead - it's over.
    Your threads crack me up. Anytime Tiger makes a bogey, you say he's finished. I'm definitely not pulling for him, but I wouldn't right him off yet. Let's wait and see how he does in this round. Lot of golf left to be played. However, one big name that we haven't heard from in a while has shown up. Welcome back Retief Goosen!

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Your threads crack me up. Anytime Tiger makes a bogey, you say he's finished. I'm definitely not pulling for him, but I wouldn't right him off yet. Let's wait and see how he does in this round. Lot of golf left to be played. However, one big name that we haven't heard from in a while has shown up. Welcome back Retief Goosen!
    Me too - although he needs to put the foot on the gas a little. He is currently 9 shots off the pace and could be facing very difficult scoring conditions (in other words, very windy conditions) this weekend when it will be harder to make a big move. As long as he makes the cut he is in contention, but I think he needs to get it to at least -1 today. Besides Immelman and Sneddker who don't really have major experience, Mickelson is now 3rd at -5 and Tiger doesn't want to give Phil too much of a lead going into the weekend.

Has anyone noticed how svelte Phil looks? Good thing because he was a Craig Stadler trajectory the last two years.
    Singler is IRON

Did anyone else see Adam Scott's play on 13? Talk about a complete train wreck. He putted the ball from the fringe on one side of the green, went completely across the green, down the hill, into the water. Chance at birdie and he ends up getting a double bogey.

ESPN just said that only twice in the past 25 years has the Masters been won by someone who was not at least tied for the top-5 at the end of day 2. Wow, could that really be true?

--Jason "Tiger has a very makable eagle putt at #8 to go from 1-over to 1-under... if he makes it, will it start a charge?" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ESPN just said that only twice in the past 25 years has the Masters been won by someone who was not at least tied for the top-5 at the end of day 2. Wow, could that really be true?

--Jason "Tiger has a very makable eagle putt at #8 to go from 1-over to 1-under... if he makes it, will it start a charge?" Evans
    Birdie. He's got some work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I was very surprised by that too. I thought they said the last time someone came from outside the top 10 going into the weekend was Nicklaus in 86.
    Singler is IRON

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I was very surprised by that too. I thought they said the last time someone came from outside the top 10 going into the weekend was Nicklaus in 86.
    That is interesting. Who is the other one? I'm not playing trivia...I have no idea. I was thinking Johnny Miller but that was the '73 Open, which is one of the great comebacks in sports.

Alright, after 10 I'm with Udaman. Tiger is cooked. He just doesn't have it this week.