Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

unis

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Wearing one's sweater that way was popular in the 60's. The music would be beach music or soul music ... can I get an amen for Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs? What that's I hear in the distance? "Stay just a little bit longer"?
    1. beach or soul? How about some of both?
    2. Amen

i picked the champion for the first time ever!

First of all, I'm not sure why K or the University let Nike dictate the uniforms. I know they give a lot of money and I'm sure that the logic in changing the uniforms every couple of years is to sell more jerseys. The thing is because players come and go so frequently (especially the stars that you want to own their jersey) you don't really need to change the style, the names and nubers already change.

Also, K is big into the "Duke brand" so why is it not understood that keeping a solid traditional uniform build brand as well as anything out side of winning? I understand with ever changing fabric technologies that changes of some kind or inevitable but that doesn't mean that you have recreate the wheel everey couple of years.

Additionally, the whole horn looking things that were on the uniforms a couple of years ago were also on about a dozen or more other school's uniforms. Since when did Duke follow other schools like lemmings?

Finally, why can't they sell custom jerseys so that you can order one with your name on it?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I think that the lighter shade of blue came about because the university admin or board finally chose a specific shade of blue to be "Duke Blue". This newly appointed official color is lighter than the almost Navy that many of us grew up knowing. For the life of me I don't know why they did this.

I was thinking the other day that I hope that Coach Cut decides to change up the football uniforms. Right now they look as boring and cheap as any school I can think of. I think my high school had better jerseys than Duke.

Um ... they did change them last year. They're the same unis that Southern Cal wears. Pretty sweet looking actually.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    Um ... they did change them last year. They're the same unis that Southern Cal wears. Pretty sweet looking actually.
    Yea, the football jerseys were really good looking. A very traditional look that I think can have some lasting power. I'm hoping that they actually sell the ones with the stripe on the shoulders this year in stores instead of the generic jersey they put out last year.

As for the basketball jerseys, it's a given, just like any other sport, that there will be tweaks to the uniform from time to time. I think the consensus around here is that the jerseys shouldn't suffer through drastic changes to our tradition (like the adding of the black trim to the home whites and the road blues).
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I wish he still could! Doug passed away several years ago.
    In keeping with the origin of the "Blue Devil" nickname and to honor the affinity for Beach Music, why not have our guys wear Duke Blue tams during warm-ups and get the pep band to play and sing "You Lied To Your Daddy" when the opposing team falls behind (and maybe "What Kind Of Fool" after emphatically blocked shots)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    In keeping with the origin of the "Blue Devil" nickname and to honor the affinity for Beach Music, why not have our guys wear Duke Blue tams during warm-ups and get the pep band to play and sing "You Lied To Your Daddy" when the opposing team falls behind (and maybe "What Kind Of Fool" after emphatically blocked shots)?
    Why just any tam? Why not use the same design as the Duke doctoral regalia? The head gear is something like a tam. Having the basketball team wear some version of it would bring academics and athletics together.

Color, etc.

I don't know how we got to royal blue, but any shade of blue is better than black or black trim. After all, we are the blue devils.

Irrespective of the color, I hope we never change to the beach t-shirt look (or whatever it's called) that Florida and Carolina wear.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    I missed the change. I don't live in NC anymore and not a whole lot of Duke football games are shown here. I had only seen the jerseys they sell to fans which are solid blue/white with opposite color lettering. Very plain.

Yeah I agree with returning to the style of our uniforms from the 70's that has seemed like the trend with teams like DePaul,Marquette,and UAB bringing back the past influence.

Return to the classic 70's/80's era.

Now I dont believe the shorts should be as short but I think we should bring back the blue trim waistband,and darken the blue just a little bit more but I would suggest adding an alternate black uniform based on our basic 70's uniform style.

Sadly I dont have photoshop to show you guys what im hinting at but hopefully you understand what im visualizing

Seriously we are playing in uniforms that would've looked in style 12 years ago.

You guys have got it all wrong: the black road unis are a good thing! To quote from the Chronicle the day after we beat UNC this year: "Duke sported its black road jerseys for the third time in five years in Chapel Hill. When the Blue Devils have worn black, they are 3-0. In their traditional blue, they are 0-2."

Q.E.D. That pretty much settles it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zingit View Post
    You guys have got it all wrong: the black road unis are a good thing! To quote from the Chronicle the day after we beat UNC this year: "Duke sported its black road jerseys for the third time in five years in Chapel Hill. When the Blue Devils have worn black, they are 3-0. In their traditional blue, they are 0-2."

Q.E.D. That pretty much settles it for me.
    That's wrong. We won in 2004 wearing the blues in the Dean Dome.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    That's wrong. We won in 2004 wearing the blues in the Dean Dome.
    And in 2005 and 2007 we wore our non-traditional blueblack uniforms and lost in those travesties, making us 0-2 in the new "not-blue" uniforms in the Dean Dome.

Coincidence??

While some people think that some tweaks are okay every year, I should point out that UCLA and Indiana don't allow Adidas to "tweak" their unis. Indiana still has the collared warm-ups and the candystriper pants.

I see no reason why we need to tweak what worked.

Perhaps it is time for us to go back to adidas.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    While some people think that some tweaks are okay every year, I should point out that UCLA and Indiana don't allow Adidas to "tweak" their unis. Indiana still has the collared warm-ups and the candystriper pants.

I see no reason why we need to tweak what worked.

Perhaps it is time for us to go back to adidas.
    Amen!

And get rid of the black warm-ups too. How about these?!?!!!
    1966.jpg

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    A designer from Nike comes to Duke each off-season with sketches and a replica of what the upcoming season's jersey will look like.

Don't know if any changes are actually in store for next year. I'll see what I can find out, but I doubt any such decisions have been or will be made anytime soon.

If I had a scintilla of say, I'd make a pitch for returning to these:

And can we get a repeat of the player in this particular uni?

Warmups

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    And get rid of the black warm-ups too. How about these?!?!!!
    1966.jpg
    The black warm ups are the worst.

Black Uni's in Chapel Hill

Regardless of our record when wearing black at the 'Dome, I feel we should always wear blue. That's part of the whole rivalry...different shades of blue. I for one love the black uniforms and have some very good memories of them during my four years at Duke. However, when playing on the road against the 'Holes we should wear our road Blues, IMO

Hard hats

Duke needs to go back to blue football helmets. White helmets are awful for just about every team, maybe with the exception of Auburn and Penn State. Virginia used to have the worst helmets in college football -- plain white with one orange and one blue stripe down the middle. The dark ones with the crossed swords are pretty nice.