Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shelden getting some burn!

It looks like Sacramento is starting to give Shelden some PT. He has been getting 10-15 mpg the last couple of games. Last night he scored 12 points. Hopefully this serves as an audition for next year and he is able to put up some going numbers. I really think that if he can get some consistent PT that he will develop into a solid to very good nba player. Now we need Orlando (or another team) to give JJ a chance!

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    It looks like Sacramento is starting to give Shelden some PT. He has been getting 10-15 mpg the last couple of games. Last night he scored 12 points. Hopefully this serves as an audition for next year and he is able to put up some going numbers. I really think that if he can get some consistent PT that he will develop into a solid to very good nba player. Now we need Orlando (or another team) to give JJ a chance!
    Great news for Shelden...strong players on the inside can have nice NBA careers. Heck, Ken "The Animal" Bannister had an NBA run.

A question about JJ. So, he's getting little to no PT in Orlando this year. But at the trade deadline, the Orlando GM was adamant that they were unwilling to trade him. Was he blowing smoke? Is there a contract situation with Orlando guards? Because it just seems odd to me that a guy who doesn't play is also a guy who his team won't trade.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Great news for Shelden...strong players on the inside can have nice NBA careers. Heck, Ken "The Animal" Bannister had an NBA run.

A question about JJ. So, he's getting little to no PT in Orlando this year. But at the trade deadline, the Orlando GM was adamant that they were unwilling to trade him. Was he blowing smoke? Is there a contract situation with Orlando guards? Because it just seems odd to me that a guy who doesn't play is also a guy who his team won't trade.
    I don't think Shelden Williams really is going to remain in Sacramento for long but he definetely needs to work on his footwork and positioning along with at least attempting to develop a consistent 10 foot shot.He's playing to get a contract somewhere else but if he does that he could maybe emerge in a year or 2 like Carlos Boozer.

Reggie Theus appears to be running an offense that is more up tempo and Mikki Moore is better suited to play that style,and with Shareef A-R returning next season Williams will probably be the odd man out in the front court depending on what Sacramento does with their lottery pick.

The problem with J.J. Redick is that hes talented and Stan Van Gundy loves him for what he brings in practice and his attitude but they need a strong SG who can provide an equal match-up on defense at SG because they dont have a SF who can guard a SG and they dont have a PG who can guard a SG,thats why he's playing Evans and Bogans over Redick.Redick certainly isnt a horrible defensive player as some would think from 1st glance by looking at him but he'd be eaten alive playing against big athletic SG's in their division such as Dwayne Wade,Jason Richardson,Joe Johnson,etc.

Free agents

Orlando unrestricted free agents:

Maurice Evans
    Kenyon Dooling
    Kieth Bogans
    Carlos Arroyo

Even with the free agent situation, I don't see JJ playing along side of Jameer Nelson. Nelson can't defend and doesn't run the offense, he's pretty much just a "chucker". Hopefully JJ gets traded, I believe that the Magic did pick-up his fourth year option strangely enough.

shelden was eastern conference rookie of the month

his last month last year when he got time. i don't think he'll ever be a star, and i can't complain too much about his playing time in atlanta given the other inside players they had invested in, but i do think he should be able to stick in the league. i'm surprised his shot-blocking numbers haven't been better.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    Orlando unrestricted free agents:

Maurice Evans-Not Resigned
    Kenyon Dooling-Signed Elsewhere
    Kieth Bogans-Resigned
    Carlos Arroyo-Resigned

Even with the free agent situation, I don't see JJ playing along side of Jameer Nelson. Nelson can't defend and doesn't run the offense, he's pretty much just a "chucker". Hopefully JJ gets traded, I believe that the Magic did pick-up his fourth year option strangely enough.
    Yeah theres no way any coach in their right mind would put out a backcourt of Jameer Nelson and JJ Redick against almost any of the backcourts in the Eastern Conference.

The problem with Orlando is that their front court has a 6'11 C in Dwight Howard,but they are playing 2 6'10 SF's at SF and PF and neither can guard a 6'6 SF who can create his own shot and attack the basket like Gerald Wallace or Paul Pierce.

Orlando will likely draft a SG who's at least 6'5 and can play both SG and SF,possibly Brandon Rush or Terrance Williams.

Orlando will also sign a veteran PG who can come in at a reserved capacity and provide some leadership and experience.

Hopefully JJ can go to a team where he can actually be respected as a player and can get some PT and be allowed to do more than just shoot 3's.

Use of JJ

JJ has been infrequently playing and when he does, he was set into a role, like Scheyer was for us last year. That is to go to the corner, or side, and wait for a shooting opportunity to come to him. Playing so infrequently is also bound to impact his shooting accuracy and confidence.

I think the only way for JJ to have a chance is to go with a team that will use him in the way Chicago used Steve Kerr. That was to come in when people were overplaying Jordan and make the open basket. There aren't a lot of Jordans around but there are players that get a lot of attention. Hope he lands somewhere that allows him to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    JJ has been infrequently playing and when he does, he was set into a role, like Scheyer was for us last year. That is to go to the corner, or side, and wait for a shooting opportunity to come to him. Playing so infrequently is also bound to impact his shooting accuracy and confidence.

I think the only way for JJ to have a chance is to go with a team that will use him in the way Chicago used Steve Kerr. That was to come in when people were overplaying Jordan and make the open basket. There aren't a lot of Jordans around but there are players that get a lot of attention. Hope he lands somewhere that allows him to shine.
    Do you not think he can do anything other in the NBA other than spot up and shoot 3's?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    his last month last year when he got time. i don't think he'll ever be a star, and i can't complain too much about his playing time in atlanta given the other inside players they had invested in, but i do think he should be able to stick in the league. i'm surprised his shot-blocking numbers haven't been better.
    It is awfully hard to block shots from the bench. Playing in 5 or 10 minute spurts does not provide many opportunities for blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    Don't get too excited. As teams become eliminated from playoff contention they rest starters for next year and start playing the younger guys to give them some experience and showcase them for a potential trade...Same thing happened last year with the Hawks towards the end of the year, and look what happened there...

No, last year Shelden got PT in the final month because everyone else on the Hawks' roster was injured. It took a complete roster meltdown for Woodson to let Shelden off the bench. And of course, when he did, Shelden produced.

There is nothing pretty about Shelden's game, and he can often look like the slowest player on the court in an NBA game. But he rebounds. He plays defense. He takes up huge space, and he sets good screens. And he gets to the foul line and converts. Basically, all he does is put up good numbers (on a per-minute basis). There is no reason he shouldn't have a long career, albeit a journeyman's career. He just needs to play for teams that need size, defense and rebounding at the 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Don't get too excited. As teams become eliminated from playoff contention they rest starters for next year and start playing the younger guys to give them some experience and showcase them for a potential trade...Same thing happened last year with the Hawks towards the end of the year, and look what happened there...
    Brad Miller is hurt, too. That said, I think Shelden will get his chance at some point. He has enough to offer as a rebounder/defender that it's a matter of finding the right niche.

It was on espn insider a few weeks ago under the rumor mill that Theus had been threatened with being fired or something along those lines if he didn't start playing the young guys.

Shelden's going to succeed in the NBA. Duke haters, of course, classify any Duke product who isn't an all-star as a dud, but sane people know better. Shelden's got work ethic and the physical abilities to keep himself in the rotation for a long, productive career.

More importantly, in my mind...when is K going to start recruiting the future Williams-Parker son? That kid's going to be about 7 feet tall with the athleticism of Kevin Durant. Can we get Shelden and Candace to promise K their firstborn son now?

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    More importantly, in my mind...when is K going to start recruiting the future Williams-Parker son? That kid's going to be about 7 feet tall with the athleticism of Kevin Durant. Can we get Shelden and Candace to promise K their firstborn son now?
    Yeah, no pressure. It's not like Miss Parker has anything to do between now and her child-bearing years...

I think we may have some competition. It's not like Bruce Pearl was cheering at a Lady Vols game for the fun of it. Savvy, that man.

And has anyone thought about recruiting a Williams-Parker daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    And has anyone thought about recruiting a Williams-Parker daughter?
    You KNOW Pat Summit has already made Parker sign that one over to her. There's no question.

8 points 7 boards in 24 minutes last night.

Maybe Shelden can become a 10 ppg/10 rpg type player....

FWIW, Brad Miller will sit out the remainder of the season due to injuries, giving Shel an opportunity for increased PT.

Shelden is not only playing major minutes, but he is putting up some decent numbers and playing GREAT defense. I mean, I can't believe he is getting 30+ minutes a game even at the end of the season.

Also, JJ Redick finally got some minutes last night and was very impressive. He pulled down 11 points in 12 minutes and hit 4 of 6 shots.

Next season

Hopefully, his strong play at the end of the season will translate into more consistent minutes next season when the games aren't meaningless.

I'd love to see him and JJ actually playing next season. And I know this is a stretch, but I'd also really like to see Daniel Ewing back in the NBA someday.