Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    I realize I don't know basketball as well as Roy Williams does
    Well, that's the first thing you're wrong about.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Wow. Word-for-word this is pretty much the EXACT beef people usually raise about Coach K. The two systems are different, to be sure, but the idea of sticking with a system and using great recruits to run the system is exactly the same. It seems to me that Coach K often does the same thing; i.e., stick with "the system" even when it is failing, and then afterwards essentially says "you didn't run the system well enough" rather than "maybe the system needs to be changed."

I just think it's interesting how similar your critique of Roy is to many people's critiques of Coach K. Obviously, both of them are top-notch coaches. One bad game does not a poor coach make.
    And I'd, in general, agree that Coach K is not a great in-game coach. He has however been a fantastic recruiter, fantastic motivator, and has been fantastic and designing a philosophy for his teams.

One difference I see between Williams and Krzyzewski is that Coach K has not been rigid in one particular system. He's had many different approaches based on the players he's had. With Roy, he's pretty much stuck with run, run, run. And I think Coach K is better than Williams at in-game adjustments.

But yes, being a great coach doesn't mean you're great at every aspect of coaching. All coaches are fallible, even Coaches K and Williams. I would agree that they are similar in the areas in which they aren't at their strongest.

I think part of what happened last staurday can be bad luck to an extent. Sometimes a really good team can run into the wrong opponent on the wrong night, and that team gets rocked back on its heels and never quite recovers. I think the WFU and Miami games this year were good examples of this, same with the 90 UNLV game. Heck, we did it to Wisconsin as well.

TO

You can't use up all of your time outs in the first ten minutes.

Why not? Pete Gillen often did(well, most of them any way ). Yea, I know, and look where it landed him. (that was just too easy a set up)

Cool I didn't mean to imply that Coach Williams forgot how to coach...

Hi,

I just thought he could/should have called more time outs to see if he couldn't change what was going on in front of him. I am super happy about what transpired. I like those who said Coach Williams seemed to have that deer in the headlights look. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that was it! It was exactly what made me get really irritated (at times) with Coach G. She had that look and then I was certain we were sunk. I was not certain about that from UNC because I kept thinking, "For sure he will call time out and things will change." Furthermore, if one calls time out and it does not work, there is no rule that says one can't call another one and try to see what happens then. I could be wrong, but I think UNC didn't use up all their time outs and could have at least tried to use them to set things up better.

I fully admit I don't know the amount of basketball a LOT of people on here know. I played baseball and other sports growing up, so I know the nuances of that sport much better. However, I do know when a team looks lost and needs to huddle. A team with the talent UNC has should probably never be run out of the building as they were. Then again the Big Blue Devil in the sky might have had something to do with it and I am tickled True Blue about it.

GO DUKE!

N and O blog about this issue

worth the short read.

Interesting quote from earlier in March:
    “I truly believe that we practice every day for the kids to be able to handle those things,’’ he said. “We practice every day for me to be able to give them instructions without having to call a timeout.

"We didn’t call timeout with 2 seconds left in the Clemson game [a 103-93 double overtime victory on Feb. 10], and some coaches would’ve to make sure they had their defense set when they had the ball out of bounds. But they had no more timeouts, so why should I call a timeout to allow them to set up their play? So it’s something we practice every day.”

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The "Roy didn't use his timeouts" theme has been the focus of the Tar Heel fans all afternoon on the local Mark Packer radio show. They've grasped onto that as the reason for their loss. It's funny as anything to listen to.

What it amounts to is simple: Carolina got their asses beaten by a team that was better. Kansas eased up, got away from their gameplan, and let Carolina back in. But as soon as Kansas refocused, they absolutely dominated Carolina...again. Should Ol Roy have used a timeout or two in the first half to try to slow down the Kansas machine...probably. But it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Not Just One Game

It's not just this game! Last year's meltdown against G'Town, this year's Maryland game where his game winning play was to have Hansbrough launch a 20 footer? (I know the play was "supposed" to go to Ellington, but why would Hansbrough be 20 feet from the basket in the first place?) Plus his decisions to keep his starters in blow out games to under one minute, just to keep running (literally) the score up! I'm sorry, I really don't like him or his "awe shucks", I'm just a country boy facade!

However, he is a GREAT recruiter, no doubt,runs a remarkable program, and certainly knows basketball, but there are literally dozens of other coaches I would want to have on the bench come game time and K is at the top of that list.

Was it just me or did it seam that ol' Roy almost looked like he didn't give a ^#% about Carolina once again on Saturday night.

Unhappy Not sure this is making me feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    The "Roy didn't use his timeouts" theme has been the focus of the Tar Heel fans all afternoon on the local Mark Packer radio show. They've grasped onto that as the reason for their loss. It's funny as anything to listen to.

What it amounts to is simple: Carolina got their asses beaten by a team that was better. Kansas eased up, got away from their gameplan, and let Carolina back in. But as soon as Kansas refocused, they absolutely dominated Carolina...again. Should Ol Roy have used a timeout or two in the first half to try to slow down the Kansas machine...probably. But it wouldn't have changed the outcome.
    Hi,

To think that I somehow have the same thought process as a bunch of rabid Tar Heel fans. ick. I now wish I hadn't of said anything. I think I need a shower.

GO DUKE!

Nothing Huckelberry HoundDog could have done, short of keeling over into a feigned attack of the vapors was going to stop that meltdown. It was karma, pure and simple...plus the SI cover curse.