Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh Gary, too bad you'll probably never again smell the Elite Eight. It is a pure shame.

After all the Terping we've endured, can this possibly upset any Duke fan? Gives me the giggles whenever Maryland gets screwed by a bad call. I'm all for the ACC, just not the Williams' groups. Never.

That said, although I was certainly pulling for MSU today, the first thing I noticed in the brackets, and which made me quite happy, was that either UNC or MSU was going home after the 2nd round. No sense in letting both those coaches gain on K... Izzo's expressed idolatry of K and Duke always made me uneasy anyway, can't quite put my finger on why that is, though it certainly didn't help those times when he beat us.

I can't even contemplate what it will mean if the 'holes win 4 more games this year. I'd ask, but can't even say it.

"I can't even contemplate what it will mean if the 'holes win 4 more games this year. I'd ask, but can't even say it"

prolonged, extreme visceral discomfort.

An awful lot of Duke fans making posts to this thread, and then you have the nerve to say Terps fans take more joy out of Duke losses than MD wins. The irony of that statement amid all these posts is classic.

That being said, I actually thought there should have been a no-call, not a block called on the Strawberry play, and was more bewildered by MD allowing Butler to run off 35 of the final 40 seconds, when it was only a 1-and-1 situation, not the double bonus.

turtle-induced schizophrenia

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    After all the Terping we've endured, can this possibly upset any Duke fan? Gives me the giggles whenever Maryland gets screwed by a bad call. I'm all for the ACC, just not the Williams' groups. Never.

Surely, there are many Duke fans who feel just like you do.

My unadulturated hatred of the evil smurfs is well documented here. But my "relationship" with Maryland is different. I actually like the team and the program in general but, much as might want to like Gary Williams, he makes that very difficult to do. The real problem I have with the turtles, though, is their fans. They seriously get on my nerves in so many ways. Someone else on this thread talked about how they would rather see us lose than see their own team win. I actually think that's true of some of them; they define themselves against us so much. I called this one terp alum on that after they won in 2002 and he got EXTREMLEY upset. I think I hit too close to home.

Anyway, I saw the second half of the Butler game and there I was cheering to for them to pull out the win -- for the acc and for my bracket -- but every time they failed or butler made a play, I would take perverse pleasure in knowing that their fanbase would suffer. And, once the game was over, I just had to laugh about the bad call, especially the way their fans booed every possession on which there was no foul called on a Duke player in the VCU game and cheered like mad when we lost.

Honestly, I feel like two different people watching their games.

Maryland's porous defense and awful defensive rebounding did them in, not a questionabe foul call.

Bad Call

From my perspective, it was a bad call and Strawberry should have been awarded foul shots; however, the Terps were miserable from the line yesterday so he may not have made them. Butler is a fine team that plays an unorthodox style and they played about as well as they can yesterday. Their next opponenent will have several days to prepare for their four out (beyond the three-point line) offense and one wandering big man who picks off defenders. A team like Florida should not have any trouble beating them although their offensive style will likely keep the game low scoring.

The Terps did about as well as I thought they would. I figured 9-7 in the ACC with a win or two in each tourney. Strawberry, Jones and Ibekwe all had holes in their games but they will be difficult to replace. Gist, Vasquez, Hayes, and Osby will have to step up next year along with current freshmen, Milbourne/Burney, and incoming freshmen.

According to this morning's Post, when asked about the bad call, Williams refused to be baited stating that "we need the money at Maryland" referring to the fine if he said anything about the officials.

Even though I would like to see UVA, Virginia Tech and UNC continue to win, the three teams that I regularly root for are gone. Oh well, wait till next year (maybe)!

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    From my perspective, it was a bad call and Strawberry should have been awarded foul shots; however, the Terps were miserable from the line yesterday so he may not have made them.
    Strawberry wouldn't have gotten foul shots. It would have been a player control foul which is not awarded foul shots.

This whole tournament has been a trainwreck of missed foul shots.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine