Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Maryland's Hopes Killed by Bad Call

Down 2, DJ Strawberry drives the lane, takes a pass from Ibekwe, and gets fouled as a defender slips under him and doesn't give him room to come down. But the ref calls it a charge! Instead of going to the line with a chance to tie, Butler gets the ball.

If I was a real Maryland fan, I'd be furious. And you KNOW this is gonna fuel their Terping.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Good, I picked Butler anyway. Have a nice flight, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Down 2, DJ Strawberry drives the lane, takes a pass from Ibekwe, and gets fouled as a defender slips under him and doesn't give him room to come down. But the ref calls it a charge! Instead of going to the line with a chance to tie, Butler gets the ball.

If I was a real Maryland fan, I'd be furious. And you KNOW this is gonna fuel their Terping.
    I thought it was a Terrible call as well... But when you pick Butler to win. Can't complain. What has happened to Good officiating? Seems like EVERY game there is controversy(sp).

Somehow, Gary will make it Duke's fault.

That was an absolutely horrendous call, though. That official will not be working the Final Four.

could not happen to a nicer team

Smile

From Maryland's perspective, it should not have come to that. But I'm glad to see Gary go home.

Gary Williams: Clearly Duke's early exit freed up the cash that was earmarked to go to the officials for the rest of the tournament. On the plane-ride back to Durham, K made the call to split the money evenly between the MD/Butler game and the UNC/Michigan State game officials in favor of the non-ACC teams. It is, of course, all Duke's fault that Maryland once again failed to show up against an inferior team.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Schadenfreude

I can't help it and I can't help but feel slightly bad about it but . . .

Who knew? Turns out BUTLER gets all the calls!

Quote Originally Posted by pacificrounder View Post
    Gary Williams: Clearly Duke's early exit freed up the cash that was earmarked to go to the officials for the rest of the tournament. On the plane-ride back to Durham, K made the call to split the money evenly between the MD/Butler game and the UNC/Michigan State game officials in favor of the non-ACC teams. It is, of course, all Duke's fault that Maryland once again failed to show up against an inferior team.
    in fact, duke tanked the vcu game on purpose to facilitate this. after all duke nation would rather see their team lose than our team win.

wait no. that's the maryland fans who feel that way about us.

Post-game Gary - "after you win a national championship like we have you have to expect that you will have bad calls against you unless you play in Durham or Chapel Hill."

Ill be honest - I was happy to see UMD go home. I already dont like that Vazquez kid - and watching him do his showboating thing and then get sent home was nice. Also, I love the fact that Mike Jones pumped his fists at the Butler crowd earlier in the game, and it was him who couldnt handle the pass to at least try and tie the game.

Additionally, on the call, what it looked like to me is that DJ was coming down for a jump stop before going back up. I dont know waht the rule is there, but I dont think the defender slipped in underneath him on his way up to the hoop.

"Somehow, Gary will make it Duke's fault."

could be the post of the day.

"Post-game Gary - "after you win a national championship like we have you have to expect that you will have bad calls against you unless you play in Durham or Chapel Hill.""

did he really say that?

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post

"Post-game Gary - "after you win a national championship like we have you have to expect that you will have bad calls against you unless you play in Durham or Chapel Hill.""

did he really say that?
    Grossbus - You have to be kidding. I didnt see the press conference but there is no way he said that . . . is there?

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post

did he really say that?
    Nope - misguided attempt at humor by me regarding Gary's constant references to having won a NC and being paranoid about Duke and UNC getting all the calls.

"Nope - misguided attempt at humor by me regarding Gary's constant references to having won a NC and being paranoid about Duke and UNC getting all the calls."

well, you captured the essensce of gary very well.

indeed you did . . . the sad part is that such a statement is not wholly unbelievable if attributed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Nope - misguided attempt at humor by me regarding Gary's constant references to having won a NC and being paranoid about Duke and UNC getting all the calls.
    it wasn't misguided.. it was friggin hilarious
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

The Terps should have gone out in the first round...even their fans know that as bad as the call was, they didn't play with a tenth of the poise of Butler all game, and deserved to lose. The better team won.

Down goes Maryland... Please Izzo, WIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    The Terps should have gone out in the first round...even their fans know that as bad as the call was, they didn't play with a tenth of the poise of Butler all game, and deserved to lose. The better team won.
    When does the riot begin?

Now if only Izzo can beat the baby blues!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    could not happen to a nicer team
    Amen, Bro!!