Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What do you want in your next Duke AD?

This question just begs to be asked, IMO. I'll not offer my response, yet, but let's hear it. Actually, we could put together a poll of varying responses and go from there, including:
    a) someone with loads of athletic administration background and success
    b) someone with plenty of Duke background, little or no athletic department background, but a proven successful business man (Mr. Waggoner at GM comes to mind)
    c) someone with attributes between the two
    d) something completely different (damn, Monty Python always creeps in)

Other ideas please. Create a resume for the next Duke AD.

Profound respect for the Duke tradition (Cameron Crazies, students as athletes, etc.)

Willing to take a chance to elevate a sport (lacrosse in particular) to an elite level

Willing to put the necessary resources behind football to make it competitive

Business experience and an excellent fundraiser

Scandal-free, engenders a mutual sense of trust with student body and alumni

Understands that part of the job is promoting the Duke mystique, as Coach K does

A Duke man.

A Duke man, a gentleman, someone who can see the big picture and inspire others to see it to, someone who can speak to the media, and someone who can balance the budget.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    A Duke man, a gentleman, someone who can see the big picture and inspire others to see it to, someone who can speak to the media, and someone who can balance the budget.

Why does it have to be a "Duke man" , "a gentleman"? There are women ADs who are perfectly qualified and capable of doing the job. Some of these women include: Joan Cronan (Tenn), Debbie Yow (MD), and Chris Plonsky (Texas)

Someone with extensive experience in managing athletic programs at a BCS level, preferably with at least some experience at an elite private institution. Experience in managing large capital projects, especially facilities expansion and renovation. Must have extensive successful record in fundraising. Extensive experience in crisis management is also desirable - this person has to be someone that be trusted to be the face of the university before the world.

Absolutely don't care about whether they are a Duke graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post
    Why does it have to be a "Duke man" , "a gentleman"? There are women ADs who are perfectly qualified and capable of doing the job. Some of these women include: Joan Cronan (Tenn), Debbie Yow (MD), and Chris Plonsky (Texas)
    Indeed. I should hope the original poster would be willing to consider a woman.

Any chance the position could be filled by an associate AD or assistant AD currently at Duke? Or is this just not done?

Boy do I have egg my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Indeed. I should hope the original poster would be willing to consider a woman.
    Jumbo and Bludev03, I would indeed consider a woman, however, the question was not who would I consider, who do I think Duke should consider, or who do I think is qualified. The question was "what do I want in the next AD". I DO NOT WANT JOAN CRONAN, DEBBIE YOW OR CHRIS PLONSKY. As a matter of fact, I don't want anyone who is currently serving as an AD anywhere, man or woman (although I would never suggest Duke not consider experienced ADs or that these women are not qualified). First, I want someone with strong Duke ties. Why? I think that a significant factor in the catastrophe that was Duke's response to the Lacrosse mess was the lack of any Duke alum in senior administration at Duke. The perspectives in Allen Building were only that of career academic or management professionals, not of people who love Duke, and thus they failed to understand or serve the core of their constituency (students, alumni, and others who love Duke). There are tons of Duke people who have management and leadership skills and we should be looking for them. Next, the AD should be a gentleman or woman because this is necessary in order to generate respect from those with whom he or she works. The coaches, administrators and alumni with whom an AD must work are a diverse group of mostly strong personalities who have no small measure of professional success. Duke needs an AD who is a leader, manager and supervisor of the entire program. To be a leader, he or she must have the respect of those in the department. Earning and keeping the respect of people like Coach K or David Cutcliff is no small task. A lot of factors go into earning respect in this kind of environment. One important factor is the way you deal with people. The personal characteristics attributable to what most people would call a gentleman are conducive to earning such respect. I mention media skills because I believe our departing athletic director is weak in this area, and that at times of crisis, competence in this area makes a difference. I will never forget when Coach K was thinking about the Lakers job, JA called a press conference at which his comments might be fairly paraphrased as "gee, this would be bad and we have no plan to deal with it and I'm not sure why we're having this press conference". Finally, I speak of someone who sees the big picture and helps others see it. We particularly need this now. One need only hang out on the DBR boards a little to see how destructive focusing on the smaller picture can be. I think, for a variety of reasons, those of us who love Duke sports are having a hard time finding something to feel good about. This is true, even though there is much to celebrate. A good AD can be catalyst for changing the way we see ourselves, and this can have a positive impact on all of our programs.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFencer View Post
    Any chance the position could be filled by an associate AD or assistant AD currently at Duke? Or is this just not done?
    IIRC, Alleva was allevated from either assistant AD to AD.

That being said, I would hope that, given the high profile of the Duke Athletic program, the recent expansion of facilities, and the commitment to to more, that Duke would look outside also for Alleva's successor. If we find somebody internally who is great, then let's hire him/her...But I would like to see us look outside for someone with experience running a major organization like the Duke Athletic Department

Really, they should just hire Ozzie!!!!!!

Coach K. Fine resume, unquestioned love for Duke, could do more for Duke as AD than as head basketball coach. Probably the best choice by far.

Who would bet against Duke becoming one of the top college athletic programs around? Coach K surely has given much thought regarding the overall excellence of the athletics department.

I believe that Duke would continue to be a basketball power.

AD

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    IIRC, Alleva was allevated from either assistant AD to AD.

That being said, I would hope that, given the high profile of the Duke Athletic program, the recent expansion of facilities, and the commitment to to more, that Duke would look outside also for Alleva's successor. If we find somebody internally who is great, then let's hire him/her...But I would like to see us look outside for someone with experience running a major organization like the Duke Athletic Department

Really, they should just hire Ozzie!!!!!!
    "Alleva was allevated..." Intentional or unintentional?-pretty funny either way

"Any chance the position could be filled by an associate AD or assistant AD currently at Duke? Or is this just not done?"

I would certainly think that's an option that will be considered.

FWIW, I have a supervisor that's a WVU grad and is incredibly intelligent, knowledgable about sports and coaching, etc. If the AD job at WVU opened up I could easily see him as a strong candidate with his passion for his school and strong leadership abilities. He, like OZZIE, hasn't missed a (WVU) home football game since the 70's. He was also present for the WVU hoops games recently, and, yes, he and I discussed Duke's weaknesses and why WVU beat us. Just some more food for thought.

Thumbs up Qualifications

Finally, I speak of someone who sees the big picture and helps others see it. We particularly need this now. One need only hang out on the DBR boards a little to see how destructive focusing on the smaller picture can be. I think, for a variety of reasons, those of us who love Duke sports are having a hard time finding something to feel good about. This is true, even though there is much to celebrate. A good AD can be catalyst for changing the way we see ourselves, and this can have a positive impact on all of our programs.
    Need I say more?

If I do, BS Engineering from Duke School of Engineering (now Pratt), lifelong salesman and amateur athlete, entrepreneur, experienced in large infrastructure construction projects and dealing with the multiple personalities and politics of such projects. Works hard and well with others, and knows how to delegate tasks and authority while maintaining overall control of the situation. And of course, I'm your paradigm of optimism!

Dyedwab - thank you for your support! The momentum is growing! Make your voices heard!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post
    Willing to take a chance to elevate a sport (lacrosse in particular) to an elite level
    I think you are a little confused. For the past few years Duke has been one of the most dominant lacrosse teams in the nation. Besides that little ummm... hiccup... Duke has been absolutely dominant every year-- second only to hopkins.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Coach K. Fine resume, unquestioned love for Duke, could do more for Duke as AD than as head basketball coach. Probably the best choice by far.

Who would bet against Duke becoming one of the top college athletic programs around? Coach K surely has given much thought regarding the overall excellence of the athletics department.

I believe that Duke would continue to be a basketball power.
    I think killerleft makes some interesting observations. During a conversation I had earlier this year with the coach of one of the Duke non-revenue sports, the other coach mentioned that Coach K has always been very supportative. My guess, however, is that Coach K isn't ready to give up coaching yet.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Wow, I could not disagree more. I think that would be a a terrible idea, and one of the few ways that Duke athletics could end up worse off after Alleva's departure. I just don't see how Duke would be better off with a new head coach and an athletic director learning a new set of responsibilities than it would be with an experienced AD and a Hall of Fame coach.

As a matter of fact, I don't want anyone who is currently serving as an AD anywhere, man or woman (although I would never suggest Duke not consider experienced ADs or that these women are not qualified). First, I want someone with strong Duke ties. Why? I think that a significant factor in the catastrophe that was Duke's response to the Lacrosse mess was the lack of any Duke alum in senior administration at Duke. The perspectives in Allen Building were only that of career academic or management professionals, not of people who love Duke, and thus they failed to understand or serve the core of their constituency (students, alumni, and others who love Duke). There are tons of Duke people who have management and leadership skills and we should be looking for them.
    With all due respect, I'm not sure that this makes any sense. At the time of the lacrosse case Joe Alleva was in his 30th year at Duke. If thirty years at a single institution isn't enough to build strong ties, I'm not sure how spending four years there as a young adult would make a meaningful difference.

I would much rather hire someone with a proven track record of success in the relevant field than put my faith in the power of the old school tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    With all due respect, I'm not sure that this makes any sense. At the time of the lacrosse case Joe Alleva was in his 30th year at Duke. If thirty years at a single institution isn't enough to build strong ties, I'm not sure how spending four years there as a young adult would make a meaningful difference.

I would much rather hire someone with a proven track record of success in the relevant field than put my faith in the power of the old school tie.
    With all due respect, if Joe Alleva loved Duke, he would not be going to LSU. Good guy, professional, now experience, and I understand why LSU hired him, but not the kind of Duke guy I'm talking about. Besides, my Lacrosse reference was an analogy, referring to the actions of Allen Building. Joe Alleva was a bit player who had little, if anything, to do with shaping Duke's response to the Lacrosse mess.
    GTHC

Next AD

Not to sound negative (though this may) I was always under the impression that Alleva was elevated (or allevated) due to K's insistance because, at the time, K was concerned about having an AD who he couldn't control (and Alleva was in his hip pocket). I wonder if that will still (if true) be a condition?

but then again, I'm childpsycho

What do I want in a new AD? Simple. That his name be Mike Krzyzewski.