Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tudor nails it

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed. My cynical side tells me he purposefully wrote that to play out a very minor role in trying to motivate Carolina's Big 3 to stay in school one more year. Dean probably asked him to write it .

It's funny...after Duke lost by 30 to UNLV, which was not only humiliating for the margin, but continued a string of Final Four appearances with no championship...John Feinstein wrote a scathing column for the now defunct National (an everyday sports newspaper attempting to be the print equivalent of ESPN before the web got big).

Feinstein's editorial was more bitingly sarcastic than Tudor's (though similar in its tone and degree of contempt for Duke's futility), and I remember being quite ticked reading it. But it wasn't hard to see that beyond the withering, sarcastic criticism, Feinstein was hurting to see Duke get labeled as the program that flopped on the big stage every year. (I probably still have a copy of that column in a folder in my basement somewhere).

There was also a cartoon with several guys at a bar crying with different team names on the shirts -- one had Red Sox, one had Cubs, one had Rangers, one had Duke if I recall correctly. All teams that could "never win the big one". Nice to see how things have changed since.

Tudor's column was pretty terrible. Carolina may have been knocked back by an outstanding effort from Kansas last night, but they are still a good team that had a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    out of curiosity, do you consider the 1990 championship game to be a low point in Duke's basketball history? I find it difficult to describe any Final Four defeat as a "low point."
    I think at the time it was (in my lifetime) the low point; now it's merely a 'lowish' point that I'm fine with, considering what the Devils did the next two years. 'Time heals all wounds' and 'hindsight is 20/20' and all that.

But as sagegrouse above pointed out, there is a bit of a difference between the heavy underdog Duke against the pro UNLV in '90, and this UNC team that was clearly one of the top teams in the nation, getting blown out twice in the same game.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that you apparently thought Tudor said it was the low point for the Tarheels, when he actually said it was a low point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDukeCreed View Post
    Doubt it.

I think the whole ACC should be embarassed at last night's game. Most Duke fans relish the fact of UNC losing but the truth is last night's performance showed the state of the ACC. The ACC is in a bad shape.
    If the ACC is in bad shape with one Final Four team, what does that say about the Big Ten, Big East, and all the other conferences with no teams?

Tudor

I read the N&O daily. Tudor's articles are frequently negative in tone but it's been interesting the last couple of weeks how positive his articles about the heels were. It was therefore shocking how quickly his tune changed in today's piece - I guess he didn't have enough time between the end of the game and his deadline to think twice about it.

That being said, hopefully he'll write an article this week about how much UNC has let down the entire ACC (to mirror the one he wrote about Duke after the WVU loss a couple of weeks ago...)

I suppose Tudor has never been off his game. I wasn't pulling for the holes but if I were I'd be sore at this drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    out of curiosity, do you consider the 1990 championship game to be a low point in Duke's basketball history? I find it difficult to describe any Final Four defeat as a "low point."
    well anyone who doesnt think that "low point " wasnt an imputus to the national championship in 1991, well the thought it wasnt is just ludicrious

Quote Originally Posted by BoC View Post
    I think at the time it was (in my lifetime) the low point; now it's merely a 'lowish' point that I'm fine with, considering what the Devils did the next two years. 'Time heals all wounds' and 'hindsight is 20/20' and all that.

And now we learn that, eventually, time wounds all Heels.

I didn't think the Tudor article was anything but accurate, unc stunk up the Alamodome twice last night and I'm glad they did. Screw them, couldn't have happened to a nicer fan-base, IMO. Complete meltdown today on IC, I LOVE IT!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!!

9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Screw them, couldn't have happened to a nicer fan-base, IMO. Complete meltdown today on IC, I LOVE IT!!! GTHC, GTH!!!!!

9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F!!!!!

Oh god, it is pure comedy over there. My favorite thread is the "It's time to go back to the Doh Styled Recruit", arguing that Roy is falling short because he doesn't have enough long, big time athletes that "create mismatches".

The "Doh-styled Recruit" surely trumps the "big man coach" as my favorite quick fix of the internet age these days.

No, they did not say they wanted to go back to anything from Doh!!!