Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red face A kudo for Billy Packer

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    It took real stupidity! He could have said the same thing when we were down against Maryland but didn't. Wonder why he made the risky comment last night? Does Billy hate UNC as much as he hates Duke?
    I didn't watch the game. I had to listen to it on radio on my way home. In the second half, Raftery and Thompson made mention of the Duke comeback margin, but did not go out on a limb like Packer.

I think it was Billy Packer just being Billy Packer. He called it as he saw it. At least, that's usually what he says in response to questions during media interviews. Strangely enough, I sort of respect him for saying it. And I don't like Packer.

I also want to think he was taking a friendly dig at Nantz.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I think Packer went way out on the limb, on national TV saying it.

But frankly, I had it over then too. (Outside of Duke) I've never seen a team get that far down to that Good of a team and come back. Yes, I too believe that UNC had a run or two in them but they were going to spend a lot of energy doing it and that almost always results in a team running out of gas. Especially when it was going to take Ellington, Lawson and Hans to do it. Just 3 guys, that was going to drain them.

Exactly what happened when they got it down to 4 and KU kicked in, UNC was out of gas and they looked like it. the only way UNC actually gets the lead is if KU completely rolls over and they looked like they might but I felt the weren't expending that much energy. It looked like they had lost their legs but I felt with the depth they had on the bench that KU was just drained from emotion and that they would be able to lift themselves back out of it. It was good coaching by Self to get them out of it or they might have completely folded.

Staying power

I really don't understand why Packer is still around. He was most effective years ago as a foil to Coach McGuire, who would spend half the time making fun of him. With nobody to comment on how ridiculous he is, all you can do is think about how ridiculous he is. The NCAA tournament can do a lot better.

BTW, does anyone remember how pre-1991 he loved to bring up how many times Duke had been to the Final 4 without winning?

Angry There was one game where I would have to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    A college basketball game is NEVER over with 7 minutes left in the first half. Never.
    I graduated in '83. I recall one game where you could have done so.

Early January 1982, playing Louisville at Freedom Hall. Vince Taylor was a senior playing near his home. At the half, we were down 54-27. We lost 99-61. THAT one you could have walked out that early.

Ycch... painful memories.
    Last edited by Lavabe; 04-06-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: year

We're up in NYC and were at "Macbeth." Checked in on the score at the half and had our section of the theater dumbfounded at the score. Wow...wonder if the game will become an "INSTANT CLASSIC"...for all the best reasons

weezie....dood...shakespeare AND hole humiliation...

quite a cocktail...

I think we all knew the holes had a run in them to be finished that early in the game--as much as I detest them, they had too good of a team not to come back. But oh man, was it not sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet seeing them down 28 & scrambling?? And those last few minutes with Kansas putting the game away with Hanstravel NOT getting away with his walks and fouls? Fantastic. During the course of the game I was watching it with dad, my uncle, and my girlfriend--dad cuts the sound off because "we can announce this thing better than Packer can." Packer hates on both Duke and unc but I do think he pours a little more Haterade in our direction than he does unc (he's still much more complementary for. . .them). I'll always believe he has blackmail pictures of someone higher up with cbs ("'cause that's all you see. . .is bs") to be able to maintain his job for all these years. He can bring up good points that other announcers don't but his attitude towards teams and insistance on playing a ref on mic (and being wrong a LOT) really makes you wonder how he has had this staying power.

I think we were all a little stunned he made that call so early in the game. Second half, you could see a little back peddling. Even he was probably praying he wasn't going to have to eat those words, cause otherwsie, he was gonna not only have to eat them, but choke on the as well. In the end, it all worked out.

I can't stand Billy Packer either, but I have to give him credit for pointing out that Hansbrough doesn't so much shoot the ball as he does throw it at the basket.

I think he tried to jinx Kansas with the ol' "this game is well in hand" trick.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-06-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: removed some crude language

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    I think Packer went way out on the limb, on national TV saying it.

But frankly, I had it over then too. (Outside of Duke) I've never seen a team get that far down to that Good of a team and come back. Yes, I too believe that UNC had a run or two in them but they were going to spend a lot of energy doing it and that almost always results in a team running out of gas. Especially when it was going to take Ellington, Lawson and Hans to do it. Just 3 guys, that was going to drain them.

Exactly what happened when they got it down to 4 and KU kicked in, UNC was out of gas and they looked like it. the only way UNC actually gets the lead is if KU completely rolls over and they looked like they might but I felt the weren't expending that much energy. It looked like they had lost their legs but I felt with the depth they had on the bench that KU was just drained from emotion and that they would be able to lift themselves back out of it. It was good coaching by Self to get them out of it or they might have completely folded.
    I agree with dukeimac and others who state Packer was just calling it as he saw it... Is he trying to be somewhat controversial? Of course... He's a caustic guy and that's what he likes to do... But he also provides some good analysis [and, as others have noted, actually comments on the game at hand rather than sharing with us his social agenda, what he had for dinner last night, who he thinks is the best up and coming high school freshman, etc.]...

I'm not a big Packer fan either, but last night he stuck his fork in UNC early because he saw a team who came out completely flat and dug themselves a 28-point hole to an equally good top-tier team... I also felt that UNC was going to make a run to tighten things up, but felt it would have taken a miracle [or, to be more theologically accurate, would have required Roy to make a deal with the devil] for a combination of (1) UNC making said run and (2) having enough left in reserve in the tank to get over the hump while (3) a great, talented Kansas team decided to roll over and cower in the corner... Simply put, I agreed with Packer that there was just no way all of that that was going to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    It took real stupidity! He could have said the same thing when we were down against Maryland but didn't. Wonder why he made the risky comment last night? Does Billy hate UNC as much as he hates Duke?

When we were down by 22 to Maryland, I was alarmed, but I honestly felt it would just take a stretch of good defense and some 3s to get back in the game -- we played a bit loose and a bit badly to start, but we were never as lost or as scared as UNC was for those first 12 or 13 minutes.

The debate over Packer gets so tiresome -- he is what he is, a curmudgeon that has some very good insights on the game and doesn't indulge in sugar-coated cheer (though he does praise good performances more than people give him credit for). I actually like that he made the claim that the game was over -- it was premature and surprisingly impulsive, but I like that Packer was human enough to be stunned by how badly the Heels were getting taken to the woodshed.

And oh, it was so, so sweet to watch 40-12 happening...my daughters and I were whooping and hollering with every loose ball Kansas was getting to...even my wife had to laugh with all the Carolina hate and Kansas love that had erupted in the household. Though I didn't think Packer was bad, it sure would been nice to have Gus Johnson announcing as Kansas was rolling -- a few "ha HAs!!" while the Jayhawks were blocking shots and sprinting down the court for another basket would have been like Christmas in April.

unlike many here, i like packer. i think he gives very good insights and analysis and he is not afraid to say things like, "this game is over."

if you listen to what he says in the moment he says it, he is usually right and often illuminates something many might not have noticed. you may not like his voice or "attitude" or perceived Duke hatred (which i think is mostly bogus...the md semi game being the possible exception), but he knows his college bball and is able to express himself. there aren't many in that club.

Packer

hates Duke? You must not have listened carefully, because when Kerlina was making its run, the announcers compared it to 2001, but Packer said the difference was that Kansas had lost its focus and was playing poorly, in contract to Maryland. Billy said Maryland continued to play well, but Duke was playing "great".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    KU 84 - UNC 66. He was correct!
    No, he would have been correct had he said, I think Kansas will win this game based on what I've seen in the first 12 minutes.

However, saying the game is over is code for, there is no way the losing team can come back to have a chance to win this game. And in fact, UNC proved that they could come back and have a chance to win the game. Had Green's three pointer (Strickland-esque) gone down, they are down two and every Kansas player's and every Kansas fan's heart moves up four inches into their throats. UNC could have gone on the same Kansas run in the last six minutes and won by 10.

He was not correct to say the game was over at 38-12. Duke came back from a similar deficit in 2001 and got the tables turned by 30 points in the 1989 semifinal - which Nantz alluded to.

Down by 26 with 27 minutes left is not insurmountable as the Tar Heels proved last night, we proved in 2001 and Seton Hall proved in 1989.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

15. There's only one word to describe last bight's game...

...and that is S-A-T-I-S-F-A-C-T-I-O-N.

Quote Originally Posted by The Slamming Butcher View Post
    ...and that is S-A-T-I-S-F-A-C-T-I-O-N.
    i agree with you 100 percent butcher, but i think people missed the gist of this thread.. sure packers comments were inflamatory, but didnt you all notice how there was no crowd shots of carolina fans , until they started to come back, i think if duke were in carolinas position, the camera men and producers would have went out of their way to find duke clad fans... comments??

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    No, he would have been correct had he said, I think Kansas will win this game based on what I've seen in the first 12 minutes.
    That's essentially what Packer's statement meant... But if you want to argue semantics, be my guest...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    However, saying the game is over is code for, there is no way the losing team can come back to have a chance to win this game. And in fact, UNC proved that they could come back and have a chance to win the game.
    Actually, I think saying the game is over is code for 'there is no way the losing team can come back and win,' and in that conclusion Packer was, indeed, correct... UNC proved nothing--they closed the gap, then ran out of gas... How does that make Packer's statement incorrect?

I'm a little baffled why folks are getting their panties in a wad about this... If anything, I would imagine we, as Duke fans, would have loved it when Packer made the statement he did... The only thing better, in my mind, would have been if he had done it by saying, "Wow, Jim! You can stick a fork in Carolina, 'cause they're done!", then standing up and trying to begin a "START THE BUS!" chant... That would have been awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Actually, I think saying the game is over is code for 'there is no way the losing team can come back and win,' and in that conclusion Packer was, indeed, correct... UNC proved nothing--they closed the gap, then ran out of gas... How does that make Packer's statement incorrect?
    Because "... no way the losing CAN come back and win, ..." was disproved when UNC was only down 4. Once again, there is a large difference between the ability to comeback and actually winning the game. UNC proved that they could comeback and did. That UNC ultimately lost the game doesn't disprove the statement that they could've won the game. They were only down 4 with lots of time left.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    The only thing better, in my mind, would have been if he had done it by saying, "Wow, Jim! You can stick a fork in Carolina, 'cause they're done!", then standing up and trying to begin a "START THE BUS!" chant... That would have been awesome!

yo....papa john...let me buy you a drink my friend... you and me are gonna be buddies....

also, you can't really have much faith in a "comeback" that gets you slammed by 18 pts...

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    Because "... no way the losing CAN come back and win, ..." was disproved when UNC was only down 4. Once again, there is a large difference between the ability to comeback and actually winning the game.
    The problem is, you are forgetting about the second part of the statement, the "and win" part... The statement was not disproved by UNC when they cut the lead to 4...

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    That UNC ultimately lost the game doesn't disprove the statement that they could've won the game. They were only down 4 with lots of time left.
    Note that they ended up losing by 18... And why did that happen? I believe it's because UNC completely emptied their tanks in closing the gap to single digits--they were spent, and Kansas refocused and sent the message that they weren't about to roll over and give the game away, at which point UNC folded... Put in clearer terms, I feel that the 28-point lead was simply physically insurmountable...

But clearly you and I are going to disagree... And that's what's great about America! That and the fact that despite disagreeing, you and I are probably both relishing the fact that Carolina went down in flames last night...