Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cbs Coverage And Billy Packer

did anyone else but myself notice that during the entire kansas run in the ist half, that cbs , not once showed any carolina fans, whom i assumed were shell shocked and i would have loved to seen some faces in the crowd when it was 40 to 12. but as soon as carolina started to comeback, that they often showed hanswalks dad and some other hole fans.

also one more thought, i think if carolina would have come back and won this game, two people would have been fired, bill self and bill packer

kansas hit a 3 pointer with 7:32 left in the first half to go up 38 to 12 and ole roy calls time out.

packer " this game is ooover"

nance " are you sure about that?"

packer" yes!"

Once again, he has proven himself an idiot. The fact the Kansas won saves him from a giant case of egg on the face. But, in no way should be considered sagacious.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    packer " this game is ooover"

nance " are you sure about that?"

packer" yes!"
    Packer may have made the statement at the 7:32 mark of the 1st half, but in the end, he was correct.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Packer may have made the statement at the 7:32 mark of the 1st half, but in the end, he was correct.
    im not disagreeing with the call billy made, i for one think it was one of the greatest call in ncaa history, would have loved to been a fly on the wall in a franklin street bar when this call was made

If Carolina had actually won that game, not only would they have shown a clip of it during every Final Four when a team got down by more than 15, but Packer's quotation would have achieved mythical status, a FF equivalent of "Dewey Defeats Truman." I wonder if he knows how close he was to such a level of infamy.

He was not correct! The game was not even close to being over with 27+ minutes to play. With 10 minutes left, after the big UNC run, we were all at the edges of our seats praying that somehow Kansas would turn it around...which, fortunately, they did. But when UNC cut it to 4, the game was up for grabs and a team as talented as UNC, on any given night, could handle a 4 points deficit with that much time remaining and still go on to win by 15-20 points. So the game was not over but, in the end, KU pulled it out won saving Packer lots of egg on his face.

hey lets face it, it took HUGE GONADS to say that in front of a national audience

Quote Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
    He was not correct!
    KU 84 - UNC 66. He was correct!
    Bob Green

Reaction in Chapel Hill

I was in a bar on Franklin Street with some friends (Carolina Grads). The entire place was silent by the time KU had a 20 point advantage. It was more shock than anything else. And the applause when they had the field goal after the drought made you think they just won the NC!

Even at the end of the game, many were too shocked to say anything but I think it will sink in by morning. Incidentally, the bars were selling more drinks after the game was over.

I knew Carolina had a run in them so I never thought it was over in the first half. When a team starts making a huge run like that, it seems like the other team can't play offense or defense.

I was actually kinda impressed with the call. Of course, I was worried he was going to jinx it (and he almost did), but I appreciate not doing the wishy washy announcer thing.

And if you think Packer would have been fired, you're nuts.

Bob, I won't go in to this any further, but Packer is an idiot. The game was not over. UNC had a legitimate chance to win, and many people on this board were panicking. Whenever Duke takes a 5-6 point lead, even 4 minutes into the game, my old man always proclaims the game "over". Most of the time, Duke wins and he looks good. But at the time of his proclamations, the games usually hang in the balance.
    Tonight, Packer got off the hook because, in the end, KU won. But that doesn't mean that his call was a lock at the time he made it. I don't know if you are a gambling man but, when Carolina cut it to 4, would you have bet your paycheck just because Billy Packer called the game over 17 minutes earlier. I think not.
    Nevertheless, I think you and I are both pleased with the outcome. And that really is the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    I was actually kinda impressed with the call. Of course, I was worried he was going to jinx it (and he almost did), but I appreciate not doing the wishy washy announcer thing.

And if you think Packer would have been fired, you're nuts.
    He was doing tons of back tracking.

KU 84 - UNC 66. He was correct!
    You're missing the difference between "the game being over", which implies that it would be impossible to win a game, and the actual outcome of the game. If the point differential had stayed near double digits the entire game then I think that Packer would have been correct. But to cut the lead to 4 points shows that UNC could've won the game and that it was hardly "over".

I like that Packer made the call. When the lead was approaching the ridiculous number of 30, he certainly wasn't the only one watching the game with that opinion. I also like that Nantz called him out on in later in the second half.

And CBS may not have shown much of UNC fans during the big early run, but during the post-game they caught Tyler's dad on camera in a shellshocked expression while making some odd jerky movements with his head.

No, he wasn't. If he'd said "Kansas is going to win the game" he would have been correct. Instead, he said the game was over. Carolina down by 4 with about 6-8 minutes left in the 2nd half is not the mark of a game that is over. Packer is an idiot. And his son is the same way, just louder (yes, it's possible).

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post
    I like that Packer made the call. When the lead was approaching the ridiculous number of 30, he certainly wasn't the only one watching the game with that opinion. I also like that Nantz called him out on in later in the second half.

And CBS may not have shown much of UNC fans during the big early run, but during the post-game they caught Tyler's dad on camera in a shellshocked expression while making some odd jerky movements with his head.
    YEAH, what was up with his head? I was laughing my butt off trying to figure that one out.

No it didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    hey lets face it, it took HUGE GONADS to say that in front of a national audience
    It took real stupidity! He could have said the same thing when we were down against Maryland but didn't. Wonder why he made the risky comment last night? Does Billy hate UNC as much as he hates Duke?
    DukeDevilDeb

That was BAD BAD BAD mojo. Jobu was angered.

Why is it that Packer somehow manages to make *himself* the story in the NCAA Tournament just about every year, usually by saying something boneheaded?

A college basketball game is NEVER over with 7 minutes left in the first half. Never. It's amazing to me that a guy who has followed college b-ball as long as Packer has would say something that silly.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    It took real stupidity! He could have said the same thing when we were down against Maryland but didn't. Wonder why he made the risky comment last night? Does Billy hate UNC as much as he hates Duke?
    I don't think he hates UNC as much as he hated Duke. If he did, he would have mentioned that UNC was getting "a lot of calls" last night (fouls in 1st half: KU 13, UNC 5) like he said about Duke in 2001 (Duke and Md had the same number of fouls called at the time he said it). Packer will never forgive Duke for not recruiting him.