Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rooting Against

Red face Wrong question

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    I dislike Roy Williams, NYC Duke Fan, because he:

3) Wears hideous ties.
    Judging from Roy and Sylvia, apparently poor fashion sense is a coaching requirement in Tacky Blue Land.

I turn the question back to NYC Duke Fan: What's there to like about Roy Williams?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Judging from Roy and Sylvia, apparently poor fashion sense is a coaching requirement in Tacky Blue Land.

I turn the question back to NYC Duke Fan: What's there to like about Roy Williams?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Am I wrong, or did Roy's tie from last night make an appearance in 2005 as well? Maybe he thought it would bring him good luck...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    If you need to question being happy after watching UNC get humiliated then maybe you should quit being a sports fan and go play Chutes and Ladders or something.
    I don't know. Some of these people might feel bad if someone has to go down that really big chute.

Some losses are better than others. Last night's was particularly sweet in that hopes were crushed. I like a hole loss better when they drop one in that style. If they get whupped by 30 or more, their fans forgot the game was going on.

When they cut the big margin down, that's where hopes got on the rise. It's like losing that close 1 or 2 point game, only better. The same, only different.

No. Never gave it a second thought.

9F Cheers,
    Lavabe
    hell lavabe i didnt give it a third ,fourth , or fifth thought

Talking Bad Ties U

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Am I wrong, or did Roy's tie from last night make an appearance in 2005 as well? Maybe he thought it would bring him good luck...
    You mean Roy's amazing technicolor dream tie? Check out the guy behind him too!

You know ... that game still feels good nearly 24 hours later.
    9F Cheers,
    Lavabe

You mean Roy's amazing technicolor dream tie? Check out the guy behind him too!

You know ... that game still feels good nearly 24 hours later.
    9F Cheers,
    Lavabe
    That's Steve Robinson. He used to be a head coach at his own ACC school (FSU). Kinda sad that he's reduced to dressing up in Roy-wear so he can sit on UNC's bench and keep track of assists in whatever weird wear the 'Heels chart them.

guilty pleasures in life...

I got a bud (Duke fan) who took another Bud (UNC fan) of to the Caines game. As payback for a favor... Anyways.. Bud #2 went out of his way to bud # 1 and mentioned that "he was saving rubbing my nose in the WVa loss until the Heels won it all" ... needless to say im loaded for bear with BOTH barrels..

Almost EVERY time I watch a Heels game they look great. I pretty much stopped earlier this year. So I flipped on the game and watched Kansas and UNC tip it off... I figured I'd give it a min or 2 and switch it off once UNC took a lead... UNC played a PERFECT game for the 1st half. Thats what I want out of them every time they suit up. I hardly ever get to relish something like that. Thing of beauty.

Now some folks say thats a tuff spot to put an 18-22 yo with all the pressure and such; we recruited some of those guys and to cut them some slack. I buy it to a point. I kinda equate them to public figures... or very least regional celebrities. Its part of going to a high profile school. If you cant stand the heat get out of kitchen... and if these guys were so FAB, why are they wearing the wrong shade of Blue?

No that was GREAT TV last nite. I only wish wish Duke could have administed that colonoscopy and beat them 2x in the same game. Bully for KU!! Thanks Guys and good Luck!

As for my Heel buddy that I know is creeping around the bend..
    Im gonna lay low... but WHEN I do connect with him... I plan to lie. Im gonna tell him that I was pulling for UNC ... ACC pride and all that... let him know Im disappointed. He wont expect that.. Im banking that Dukes good fortunes will return at some point... and when they do. I will admonish him MOST heartily for not reciprocating and backing Duke. I'll make him feel like the Heel he is and that will be most delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Why do you hate Roy ? Did you hate him when he coached Kansas or just because he coaches Carolina do you hate him.?

I would venture to say that around the country more people hate Coach K than Roy...I am not talking about disliking Duke basketball.
    No, I didn't hate Roy when he coached Kansas (kind of felt sorry for him, although he made picking my brackets a lot easier).

Why do I hate him now? "Hate" may be too strong a word. I dislike Roy for the following reasons.

1. The Southern Good Ol' Boy routine. It's all very modest and self-effacing, with the "aww shucks" and "dadgumit"s, but I don't think it's genuine. And false modesty isn't really any better than flat-out arrogance.
    2. Talks about his feelings more than any self-respecting coach should. The second the Kansas-UNC matchup was set, you just knew you'd be subjected to sob stories about how having to play Kansas was "weighing heavy on his heart" and makes him want to cry, etc, etc.
    3. In the post-game press conference, compared playing basketball to curing cancer. For real. And that kind of goes back to the whole taking-himself-too-seriously, world-revolves-around-Roy business.
    4. The tie. There's just no excuse for that.

Ingenuine maybe, country bumkin probably, millionaire K-Mart dresser, for sure, tremendous recruiter definitely, outcoachable absolutely.