Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooting Against

Rooting Against

Does anyone ever question how we can root so strongly against a team.

When UNC loses, the happiness does not last nearly as long as after a Duke wins nor is it as strong a level of happiness but it's still a great feeling.

Obviously, most Carolina fans feel the same way but sometimes I question how I can be this happy that a bunch of 18-22 year old kids just lost a basketball game.

I know it's part of the rivalry and honestly, the main reason is because of Heel fans rather than the actual players but still. Plus, I'm not even near a lot of Heel fans at the moment and I really shouldn't let internet bragging bother me.

That said, not gonna lie, I was definitely relieved to see Carolina not complete the comeback and one of the main things I watched for after Duke went down was a Carolina loss. But sometimes, I feel guilty that I get this happy to see a team lose when I should just worry about seeing the team I love win.

I almost ALWAYS feel bad when you see a guy like Hansbrough lose because (1) Duke saw it fit to recruit him and (2) these kids are kids.

HOWEVER, I believe most on this Board are delighted because of the opposing fans, they're so obnoxious. It's worth the trade-off.

Its not that I hate the players. I hate the fans. I hate the coach. I hate the throw-up blue. And, I hate the Duke Haters fans who tell me how good Carolina is.

I like Ellington, he lives near me and him and Henderson are best friends. I like to see him do well, but I'm not going to lose any sleep though that UNC won't be playing Monday.

Very few of us here root against the kids. We root against "that which is Carolina Tarheel Basketball." We root against fans, coaches, a few rotten apple players here and there, but mostly we root against a rival team because that is what a rivalry is all about.

True

Yea, I know it's mostly about the fans but some times I do feel bad about having to root against the players. Especially when for the most part there aren't any bad kids on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I like Ellington, he lives near me and him and Henderson are best friends. I like to see him do well, but I'm not going to lose any sleep though that UNC won't be playing Monday.
    In my more immature years I would have come here to gloat, post something stupid like BCE or Roy has yet to win a championship with his own players (well I kindof did that on another thread) but Carolina should be congratulated on their season. They took the lead back from Duke in #ACC Tourney championships and flirted with the greatest FF comeback of all time. I truly detest Hansbrough and have no feelings whatsoever about Will Graves. That says something about the guy. Congrats on a successful season Toolie fans.

Talking Simple question

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    No. Never gave it a second thought.

9F Cheers,
    Lavabe

Carolina

The other thing is I am usually more upset when they win than I am happy when they lose.

Unless you know them or are related to them, who cares about the Carolina players? Some of them chose to go there over Duke. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. And I'd rather that a young man who has chosen to to play for Carolina go home unhappy, than any other basketball player in the NCAAs. That is the nature of a rivalry. Of course, I wish no personal harm against any of them. But when it comes to basketball, when the game ends I always want the Carolina players and fans to be emotionally crushed.

I'm not going to lie, the 40-12 opening tonight was the happiest I've been all season long. Our win in Chapel Hill, when we were at a truly elite level earlier in the year, comes in at a tie, but tonight was amazing. I would have been devastated to see Tyler/Roy win tonight. Absolutely crushed.

Have to love what is going on over in Carolina land...

Thread Title: Is Roy Overrated?

Thread Creator: Heelfan8189

I wish I could create an alternate reality where UNC did win. My family members are UNC fans and I hated seeing the look on their faces.

Yeah, they did rub it in all year about how good Carolina was and I rubbed it in for about an hour after they lost, but ehh...it's a hollow victory. If UNC won atleast I would've gotten to see some happy people.

I don't feel bad at all for rooting against the Tar Heels and their players. I'm happy they lost. I don't like the way their fans act and talk about the game, don't like the coach, hate that color blue, etc, etc.. All the crap I've taken from Tar Heel fans of late has just solidified the way I feel. I really don't like Hansblahblah at all and frankly I don't care that they are kids, they wear that ugly puke blue, screw them I'm glad they lost!

Is that clear enough? I could go on and on...

I wish I could create an alternate reality where UNC did win. My family members are UNC fans and I hated seeing the look on their faces.

Yeah, they did rub it in all year about how good Carolina was and I rubbed it in for about an hour after they lost, but ehh...it's a hollow victory. If UNC won atleast I would've gotten to see some happy people.
    No, you have it all, all wrong. Doom and gloom is the new excitable. It's very metro right now. All the Carolina fans are doing it

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

Happy relatives are overrated. Happy Duke fans are underrated.

Dude, the entire world laughs and seems to get a sadistic glee out of us losing. I feel i deserve some pleasure in seeing them lose.

More important to me truthfully is the fact that they didn't win, cuz then we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Bob Ryan in the Boston Globe today compared Hansbrough's game to Mitch Kupchak's. Thanks for bringing up nightmares from my childhood, Bob. I still hate Kupchak!!!! Hey, gives me more reason to dislike the current crop of Heels. Whew.

Ha, ha, apparently there's been some Hansbrough backlash lately to the point of some sportswriters advising folks to lay off him and Kevin Love. Sorry, ain't gonna happen, if you're the best player on a Final Four team and you're white, well, it just comes with the territory. Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Bob Ryan in the Boston Globe today compared Hansbrough's game to Mitch Kupchak's. Thanks for bringing up nightmares from my childhood, Bob. I still hate Kupchak!!!! Hey, gives me more reason to dislike the current crop of Heels. Whew.

Ha, ha, apparently there's been some Hansbrough backlash lately to the point of some sportswriters advising folks to lay off him and Kevin Love. Sorry, ain't gonna happen, if you're the best player on a Final Four team and you're white, well, it just comes with the territory. Get used to it.
    Was Kupchak that good?

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post

When UNC loses, the happiness does not last nearly as long as after a Duke wins nor is it as strong a level of happiness but it's still a great feeling.

Obviously, most Carolina fans feel the same way but sometimes I question how I can be this happy that a bunch of 18-22 year old kids just lost a basketball game.
    It's not the kids...well, except for the select Tar Heel players who deserve loathing (suffer Psucky T, suffer). It's the fans. I live in NC, and the Tar Heel fans deserve every bit of scorn and ridicule that can be heaped upon them. It's too bad that seemingly decent guys like Ellington and Lawson have to suffer in the process.

Smile Schadenfreude does not equal hate

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Its not that I hate the players. I hate the fans. I hate the coach. I hate the throw-up blue. And, I hate the Duke Haters fans who tell me how good Carolina is.
    I actually agree with most of your first point. It's not hatred against most of the players. Then again, there are a few player antics that bring me to that level (shirt-popping, dancing Danny, lizard-dancing, etc...).

As for the rest of your statement, agreed 100%. The celebration after the VCU game last year still exists on youtube.

Cheers,
    Lavabe