Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Men's Basketball Banquet

I'm making my trip up to Duke next week for their 'Jr. Blue Devil Day', which is always enjoyable, but this year I've also got tickets for the men's basketball banquet. Are any of you guys going, and what is the banquet like?

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    I'm making my trip up to Duke next week for their 'Jr. Blue Devil Day', which is always enjoyable, but this year I've also got tickets for the men's basketball banquet. Are any of you guys going, and what is the banquet like?

I am. It's usually a nice evening, sports coat and tie affair. Team is introduced, K speaks, team awards handed out. Videos of departing seniors. Always fun to sit on the floor of Cameron. Tables are assigned seating by level and history of giving.
    PM me and I'll look for you. I'm delighted that the spring football game is the next day, should be fun.

Is TK going to be in attendence?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I am. It's usually a nice evening, sports coat and tie affair. Team is introduced, K speaks, team awards handed out. Videos of departing seniors. Always fun to sit on the floor of Cameron. Tables are assigned seating by level and history of giving.
    PM me and I'll look for you. I'm delighted that the spring football game is the next day, should be fun.

I think my dad told me that we're sitting upstairs seeing as we're not Iron Dukes yet; that's the case correct?

Would you recommend a tie or a Duke polo for this?

I'll make sure to send you a PM soon. I can't wait for next weekend.

I'm also making my first before dinner and banquet and I know it is a formal event ,But was wondering what else to expect. Any help? (what can you bring camera / autographs / etc?) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MRJCAUDLE View Post
    I'm also making my first before dinner and banquet and I know it is a formal event ,But was wondering what else to expect. Any help? (what can you bring camera / autographs / etc?) thanks
    I think the rule of thumb is not to ask players for autographs or photos. The night is dedicated to all the players and their families (specifically the seniors) so they generally ask that their privacy is respected.

I recall attending several years ago and sitting in the upper deck. I believe folks attending and sitting upstairs tended to be more casual in their dress, i.e., no ties.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    I think the rule of thumb is not to ask players for autographs or photos. The night is dedicated to all the players and their families (specifically the seniors) so they generally ask that their privacy is respected.
    Exactly correct.

Anybody remember the banquets sponsored by the Durham Blue Devil Club and held at the old Armory/Civic Center on Foster Street in downtown Durham?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anybody remember the banquets sponsored by the Durham Blue Devil Club and held at the old Armory/Civic Center on Foster Street in downtown Durham?
    And once upon a time at the Searle Center, too.

-jk

Ahhh, the Searle Center banquets. Many fond memories there...

So it would probably be best not to bring my laundry bag of freshly pumped autograph-able basketballs then?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Do you remember hearing Abe Lemons speak at one of the banquets back in the late 70's or early 80's? I'm still using one of his jokes!

oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by MRJCAUDLE View Post
    In 1999, I was a 12 year old kid and went to the Duke Basketball Banquet and got Elton Brand's autograph! I guess I shouldn't have done it... but oh well!

If you are sitting upstairs be sure to go down on the floor after the banquet. The players will be down there and some of them will sign autographs and take pictues (even though they do ask that you don't ask them for autographs). A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to get a picture with Coach K who was out there taking pictures with everyone. Even if you don't get any autographs or pictures you still get to walk around on the floor of Cameron!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Do you remember hearing Abe Lemons speak at one of the banquets back in the late 70's or early 80's? I'm still using one of his jokes!
    I do recall Lemons speaking. My best date would be about '76 or '77 during Foster's time. Of course, Bill could be quite funny on his own.

Smile Men's Basketball Banquet

Hello,

I was not able to attend. I would really like to read about what happened. I hope some of you will post to let us know about the event.

Thanks!

GO DUKE!

is it just my imagination, or did duke used to give out a 'most charges taken' award at the banquet each year? i think i remember shavlik winning it at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    is it just my imagination, or did duke used to give out a 'most charges taken' award at the banquet each year? i think i remember shavlik winning it at least once.
    you're right...Most Charges Taken was an award. I recall that Danny Ferry received it at least one year, recall some comment made at the time (can't remember who said it) that Danny had the widest posterior of anybody on the team and that Quin Snyder, his roommate, could/would attest to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hello,

I was not able to attend. I would really like to read about what happened. I hope some of you will post to let us know about the event.

Thanks!

GO DUKE!
    If I remember the order of events correctly, after dinner ended there was the awards presentation, DeMarcus' speech, some really great videos of him and the team, and then Coach K had a great talk.

Does Coach give an awesome speech like that every year?