Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDevil View Post
    What do I want in a new AD? Simple. That his name be Mike Krzyzewski.
    I didn't realize that so many Duke fans were envious of the Guthridge/Doherty experience.

A Tom Butters clone! 'Nuf said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    With all due respect, if Joe Alleva loved Duke, he would not be going to LSU. Good guy, professional, now experience, and I understand why LSU hired him, but not the kind of Duke guy I'm talking about. Besides, my Lacrosse reference was an analogy, referring to the actions of Allen Building. Joe Alleva was a bit player who had little, if anything, to do with shaping Duke's response to the Lacrosse mess.
    Well, if the athletic director is a bit player in crisis situations, why is it so important to have a "Duke guy" in that position? Why bring up the lacrosse matter at all?

It would be helpful if you explained what a "Duke guy" is, and how we can spot one if three decades of service to the university isn't enough of an indication.

All I want out of an AD is somebody who ---

1) Doesn't screw up what Alleva has put together here (truly amazing how we have top5- top15 teams in Mens/Womens Soccer...Mens/Womens Lacrosse...Mens/Womens Golf... Mens/Women's Basketball... Mens/Womens Tennis...Field Hockey... and a few others)

2) Shows better judgement under pressure than Alleva

3) GIVES COACH K EVERYTHING HE WANTS!!!

K's Man

I'm sure that the next AD, like Joe Allbad, will have Coach K's stamp of approval. I can't envision us hiring an AD who does not fully understand where the power is and who he must please. I will be comfortable with whomever Coach K (er..., I mean Duke) hires.

Smile Mike Cragg as AD...that's who I want...If it is an insider

Hi,

He came to Duke from the University of Washington in like 1985. He was Assistant SID to John Roth. Then he became SID. Now he is Assistant Athletic Director getting big dollar commitments from donors for the basketball program.

He is an insider, but he came from the outside. He is a nice guy. He cares about football and basketball. He spent some time learning what works and does not work at Duke.

If we want an insider, maybe he is a good choice. I wouldn't mind seeing some new blood, but that isn't always possible. Sometimes the best candidates are from within. OH, and I think Coach K would like the move.

GO DUKE!

10-4 for Mike Cragg

Agree that the one person inside the department who would be great is Mike Cragg. He loves the institution. He is smart. He is engaging. And he knows how to raise money.

Danny Ferry. OK, maybe not. But the next AD should have a nice jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Well, if the athletic director is a bit player in crisis situations, why is it so important to have a "Duke guy" in that position? Why bring up the lacrosse matter at all?

It would be helpful if you explained what a "Duke guy" is, and how we can spot one if three decades of service to the university isn't enough of an indication.
    As I mentioned before, I brought the Lacrosse matter up as an analogy. In this case, I used an situation with which most of us are somewhat familiar, to explain my position as to some possible unknown situation which might arise in the future. The AD was not a major player in the Lacrosse matter because it was a University matter as to which Allen Building and its paid consultants shaped the response. However, AD's present and past have faced matters of great import to the to department, fans, alumni and the University, situations, as to which, in my opinion, the same characteristics are important.

i have explained what I think a Duke guy is. I do not think you do not understand my view, I think we disagree, and that is okay.
    GTHC

Very important that whomever is chosen will be strong enough to stand up for the needs of athletic department when times are tough. That may mean putting his/her job on the line if the truth needs to be told.

I said somewhere else I'd like to go outside to bring someone in, but I wouldn't be upset if Mike Cragg got the job. I met him a few times when he was SID in the mid nineties and he's a terrific guy, on the ball, and sharp.

I'm all for a woman AD if she has experience running both men's and women's programs. Plonsky does a great job here at Texas. The problem is she has NOTHING to do with football. The athletic departments here are split up between men and women, and honestly, football is a different animal and I'd like someone with experience. I went to Tennessee's website and it says Mike Hamilton is he AD. I plead ignorance on this one, but where is Joan Cronan now?

I don't like Yow, honestly, plus I don't think she would leave MD.

I still think Dan Morrison at TCU would be a great hire. Are there any other names out there people are throwing out yet?

I would like Mike Krzyzewski to be my men's head basketball coach.

The posts above suggest this is not a unanimous position on the boards.

Do you want to contemplate the post-K era? I don't.

Also, whether the AD is a Dukie or not is irrelevant as long as they learn the importance of Duke's traditions. It's not like he/she won't have a support staff full of Dukies/long-time Duke officials.

We also need someone who will stand up to everyone (including K) when necessary for the best interests of the department. Tom Butters would do that. We also need an outside of the box innovative thinker, like we used to have. An AD should be willing to take some risks, but should also admit to it when mistakes are made. This AD should attempt to build the best department in the nation while also understanding Duke's academic mission and it's unique culture.

We've also talked about women's ADs v. men's ADs. Some schools (like Tennessee and perhaps Texas) have two separate athletic departments that work together. This wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but maybe this is something Duke should consider in the future.

In sum, a proven track record is far more important than Dukie ties. The day Coach K no longer is our basketball coach likely be the saddest day in the history of Duke athletics. Remember the Panic of 2004?
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

As the discussion of inside hire vs. outside hire has continued, I've been thinking about the athletic directors Duke has hired over the years. If I remember my Duke history correctly, there haven't been many ADs. Eddie Cameron was already working at Duke when the position was created. He was replaced by Tom Butters who was heading up fund raising after being the baseball coach. Tom Butters was replaced by Joe Alleva. Eddie Cameron and Tom Butters each brought strong leadership and vision to the job. Each knew how to say "no" yet continue to work the room and develop resources needed.

A committee is likely to be formed for the AD search. One person I'd like to see on the committee is Jerry McGee, Mike McGee's brother. Jerry played football under Coach Bill Murray and has has been recognized nationally for his role in developing the role of athletic director at the high school level. He has contacts among college athletic directors all over the country.

Do not let Coach K make the decision. If you want to have him give advice or something like that, that's fine I guess, and obviously it's a good idea to have someone that K gets along with, but it isn't his place at all to make this choice.

DukeWarhead, I can shoot the rock, I can also drive a golf ball 300+ yards, what else is important?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    DukeWarhead, I can shoot the rock, I can also drive a golf ball 300+ yards, what else is important?
    How quick are you in pads?

Inside Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

He came to Duke from the University of Washington in like 1985. He was Assistant SID to John Roth. Then he became SID. Now he is Assistant Athletic Director getting big dollar commitments from donors for the basketball program.

He is an insider, but he came from the outside. He is a nice guy. He cares about football and basketball. He spent some time learning what works and does not work at Duke.

If we want an insider, maybe he is a good choice. I wouldn't mind seeing some new blood, but that isn't always possible. Sometimes the best candidates are from within. OH, and I think Coach K would like the move.

GO DUKE!

I agree Mike Cragg would be an excellent candidate and his experience, love of Duke and fundraising abilities are huge positives. I would also mention Senior Associate AD, Chris Kennedy as a smart, saavy, well-qualified 29-year Duke insider. His overall breadth of knowledge and experience in college athletics administration is significant. I don't know if he would be interested, but he would make us all very proud....as would long-time Associate AD, Jacki Silar. Jacki, as Senior Women's Administrator has presided over the past and notable present successes of the Duke women in basketball, golf, field hockey, lacrosse, soccer (and others through the years I'm sorry I've surely missed).

There's great inside and seasoned talent (with loads of integrity and class) at Duke now that understands where we have been, where we are, and where we can go. It will be an interesting and difficult process for a "national search" selection committee to undertake. Let's just not ever forget who we are....

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I said somewhere else I'd like to go outside to bring someone in, but I wouldn't be upset if Mike Cragg got the job. I met him a few times when he was SID in the mid nineties and he's a terrific guy, on the ball, and sharp.

I'm all for a woman AD if she has experience running both men's and women's programs. Plonsky does a great job here at Texas. The problem is she has NOTHING to do with football. The athletic departments here are split up between men and women, and honestly, football is a different animal and I'd like someone with experience. I went to Tennessee's website and it says Mike Hamilton is he AD. I plead ignorance on this one, but where is Joan Cronan now?

I don't like Yow, honestly, plus I don't think she would leave MD.

I still think Dan Morrison at TCU would be a great hire. Are there any other names out there people are throwing out yet?
    Joan Cronan is the women's AD at UT.
    http://www.utladyvols.com/inside-ut/page.aspx?id=9784

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

GO DUKE!
    When i heard that Joe was leaving my first thought was Mike Cragg. Second thought...Jacki Silar. Either one would be a good choice.

Cool AD rqmts: Major College Experience, Fund-raising, Judgment, Major Football Experience

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    All I want out of an AD is somebody who ---

1) Doesn't screw up what Alleva has put together here (truly amazing how we have top5- top15 teams in Mens/Womens Soccer...Mens/Womens Lacrosse...Mens/Womens Golf... Mens/Women's Basketball... Mens/Womens Tennis...Field Hockey... and a few others)

2) Shows better judgement under pressure than Alleva

3) GIVES COACH K EVERYTHING HE WANTS!!!

=======
    I like your priorities Blue...

I've been thinking about this for some time - at least since the LAX events and post-mortem analysis. My priorities:
    A. Don't just look internal. Emphasize breadth of (leadership and major program) experience. Duke is a big-time name/opportunuity, we should expect/demand no less. Internal is possible, but external preferable. We WANT new ideas and approaches (that doesn't mean 'inexperienced').

B. Demonstrated good judgement and experience with a major D1 program.

C. New person must be a LEADER, with presence and clear, confidence-inspiring independence.

D. It relates to C, but individual must be able to fundraise.

E. Vision. He/she must "get it" as to the Duke values AND have a vision of, strategically over time, how to get there within that value system. IOW, once you go out and rally the fans and alums - maybe partially in order to do so - he/she must understand where those funds are going to optimally go over the long-haul investments in order to maximize returns. What's the PLAN??

F. We need someone who knows something about big-time D1 football. Decide now: are we getting serious about D1 competitive football at Duke or not?!? If so, then the AD must be equiped to contribute to that conversation with authority.

G. Personality and Presence: Work well with media and public. Also work well with and inspire trust from the coaching staffs.

H. Oh yeah, and as Blue says, GIVE K WHATEVER HE WANTS! (only half kidding...)

Sounds pretty simple, right?? Just remember gang - we are not going out hat-in-hand. This is DUKE. It is a damn attractive position. We should demand and absolutely expect top-flight candidates, experience, ideas, vision and success.

No problem.

-BDBD