Thread: "Greg Zoubek"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"Greg Zoubek"

So this has been discussed on other threads, but I want to give it a thread of its own. What do you think is the best way for the staff to use GZ and his 7 foot tall build, sweet shooting stroke, and extremely pale skin next year?
    Last edited by shadowfax336; 04-04-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    It legitimately hurts to read this post...
    He was making a joke.

I'm not so sure about that... He changed that post awful fast. That's okay though- at least he has the last name right now...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I'm not so sure about that... He changed that post awful fast. That's okay though- at least he has the last name right now...
    haha yes it is a joke, I'd just been reading the TK thread in which I think every combination of the names Greg, Brian, Zoubek, and Koubek had been used together and I wrote the title wrong the first time...

Which is what I get for starting a thread like this I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    He was making a joke.
    After one of the games at the Maui Classic, I saw BZ's mother and told her, "Greg played a great game today."

She laughed at me and said thanks, and then I figured out what she was laughing about. She told me that she just figures that Brian now has a new middle name, because so many people make that same mistake.

This kid has talent. This kid also got absolutely NO breaks this year - from the injury to the refs constantly looking ONLY at his feet and missing all the defensive players pushing him. Going into the last two seasons I keep saying that he can contribute in better ways for us than Zwikker (sp) did at the other school (Zwikker had a good senior campaign). Z needs to be a force but I think Z's biggest issue is with his confidence. I hope he works hard in the off season and gets stronger and works on his footwork. I hope we can get him help with his development as a true Center and he can make a difference in the league next year. He can rebound and he has a decent touch around the basket - HAVE CONFIDENCE Z, your game can get there!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My husband is trying to convince my impressionable sons that there is a place called Zoubekistan and that our beloved center comes from there. He then encourages them to yell after every great play by our beloved center 'Welcome to Zoubekistan!' So far, they are complying.

I'm sure next year we will have many occasions to yell 'Welcome to Zoubekistan!'

This reminds me, what is Brian Koubek up to these days?

I'm confused. So we do have a hidden roster player named Greg Zoubek? Or is he an incoming recruit? Or is he the player that played in Zoubek's place before Zoubek went down with an injury in December not named Zoubek but only referred to as Zoubek? Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I'm confused. So we do have a hidden roster player named Greg Zoubek? Or is he an incoming recruit? Or is he the player that played in Zoubek's place before Zoubek went down with an injury in December not named Zoubek but only referred to as Zoubek? Wait, what?
    I think he's the one who played in about 4 games this season who was 7 feet tall, coordinated, and had post moves...
    he also made a brief appearance last year guarding Hansbrough in the UNC game at Cameron

his biggest problem is his hands...he's very soft with the ball...plus, when he gets an open shot, he's so big, there is obvious indecision regarding dunking it or laying it in (mostly off the backboard)

i thought he had some pretty good minutes down the stretch....if he works, puts on some body and strengthens his hands...you never know..

I think some people here think we're talking about Brian Zoubek, and not his illegitimate half brother Greg

weight room and post moves key to huge upside for BZ

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    his biggest problem is his hands...he's very soft with the ball...plus, when he gets an open shot, he's so big, there is obvious indecision regarding dunking it or laying it in (mostly off the backboard)

i thought he had some pretty good minutes down the stretch....if he works, puts on some body and strengthens his hands...you never know..
    as humorous as this thread may have become, BZ has a serious chance to become a real impact player. Not surprisingly, the key is "psyco-t" type dedication. (1) weight room to get much stronger; squats galore to gain explosive strength; (2) daily post move/shooting regimen. 1000 shots, jump hooks, pump fakes, up and under, etc. by end of summer confidence will soar, and he can kick butt and take no prisoners. respect of refs will follow. I really like Brian's upside potential.

I think Brian has a lot of potential

But it will be interesting to see how Duke's defense will change if he is to play 20 minutes or more a game. He really doesn't fit in with our usual style, but he certainly clogs up the middle for the other team. I'm looking forward to seeing how K adjusts.

His defensive style would be his strength. We don't have to worry about him overplaying and getting burnt on the back door, his physcial presence should be put to use. Keep him around the basket, he must stay out of foul trouble.

Not arguing

That he doesn't bring some defensive skills, but they are different from what we've seen in our big men. How do we handle the screen for the three point shooter (maybe having the line further out helps a little, but still . . .)?

How do we deal with the fact that his man can serve as a release from ball pressure?

I agree with you...he has to be quicker but switching is always an option. If the Tar Heels could have hansburger switching to cover our point guards - we should get by with it.

Brian Zoubek is a leader.

The debacle that was our season end speaks to our need for toughness, attitude, and leadership among the players. Brian Zoubek is a leader, and his character, work ethic, and communication with his team mates are as important to his success at Duke as his foot work. I saw several times this season when Zoubek, a seemingly quiet bench player, was the vocal player in a team huddle during time outs. He seems unlikely to be a sports center top ten plays regular. But it strikes me that next year he could be a ten and ten guy who makes other people around him better. Why not?
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    My husband is trying to convince my impressionable sons that there is a place called Zoubekistan and that our beloved center comes from there. He then encourages them to yell after every great play by our beloved center 'Welcome to Zoubekistan!' So far, they are complying.

I'm sure next year we will have many occasions to yell 'Welcome to Zoubekistan!'

Now that is one funny post! I like it...ZOUBEKISTAN!

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Now that is one funny post! I like it...ZOUBEKISTAN!
    Isn't that where Borat is from?

No, no, no -- that is Kazakhstan!

How about the (female) Crazies next year wear burquas and form a section called ZOUBEKISTAN??? *That* would be funny!!