Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    Obviously this is all in fun, and I do respect Jumbo's desire to remain incognito, but it makes you wonder . . . just who is this enigmatic Jumbo character?

I think I've narrowed it down:
    Option 1
    Options 2a & 2b
    Option 3
    Option 4
    Option 5
    Well, if it were Option 1, you'd probably be dead by now...

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Many posters who criticize the Beaton article by saying "DBR has the right to shut down the site whenever it wants, for whatever reason (or for no reason at all)" are missing something in the argument. Merely having the right to shut down the site does not make the owners immune from criticism if and when they decide to do so. Discussing whether or not the decision is wise is a different discussion that asking whether or not DBR has a right to do so. Like it or not, DBR is a publicly-known entity (a celebrity among basketball websites, if you will), and an entity that has, to at least some degree, opened its arms to the Duke basketball community. As such, the decisions it makes, even when those decisions are squarely within the rights of the owners, are open to discussion.

FWIW, I happen to agree with the decision made by the owners. I thought it allowed people the time to calm down (and several posters have, in retrospect, recognized that some of the things they posted in the immediate aftermath may have been unwise and/or in violation of the rules). Also FWIW, I think Beaton fundamentally misunderstood the shut down - it was not merely because people were criticizing the team and/or the coaches, it was because (to my understanding) the manner in which people were doing so was in gross violation of the site rules.
    Good point about the difference between the right to shut down the site and the right to criticize. However, one thing that has bothered me is the implication and sometimes explication that the criticism should be heard, met and responded to. It is, I guess, a question of entitlement. We aren't entitled to any response from DBR about the board closing. We may want one, and it may behoove J&B or the mods to explain things, but we have no right to it. For me, that is the real issue: the sense that people feel DBR owes them anything. It actually is exacerbated because this is the time of year that fan entitlement gets pointed at Coach K and the players as well. WE have developed a culture here in the US that encourages entitlement, and it irritates mr in all arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Good point about the difference between the right to shut down the site and the right to criticize. However, one thing that has bothered me is the implication and sometimes explication that the criticism should be heard, met and responded to. It is, I guess, a question of entitlement. We aren't entitled to any response from DBR about the board closing. We may want one, and it may behoove J&B or the mods to explain things, but we have no right to it. For me, that is the real issue: the sense that people feel DBR owes them anything. It actually is exacerbated because this is the time of year that fan entitlement gets pointed at Coach K and the players as well. WE have developed a culture here in the US that encourages entitlement, and it irritates mr in all arenas.
    I agree with your position on entltlement. We are entitled to what we earn or have a right to receive, no more. Anything else is a gift and we have no right to a gift.

I thought the article was juvenile. Maybe DBR and the moderators err a little to the conservative style, but I'm just glad there is a place for Duke fans to discuss the team and the game itself with more maturity than any of the boards I've seen on rivals or scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The moderators interpret the rules. since they can't be written to cover every case that might arise. In that way, the moderators are also acting to censor the posts under the rules and guidelines set up by the owners
    I agree, but the censoring of posts by the mods based on the rules and guidelines is very different than the censoring of posts that are found unacceptable by the mods. I find a number of posts unacceptable, but that doesn't mean that they are unacceptable by the mods.

I find the inability of people to discern this difference to be one of the biggest reasons that posters complain about the censoring of the posts.

Brilliant journalism

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    I thought the article was juvenile. Maybe DBR and the moderators err a little to the conservative style, but I'm just glad there is a place for Duke fans to discuss the team and the game itself with more maturity than any of the boards I've seen on rivals or scout.
    I thought the article was brilliant. Look at what he accomplished:

1) He created controversy.
    2) He provoked discussion.
    3) He provided name recognition.
    4) He generated hits for his publication and their advertisers.

What more could you want? He would fit in perfectly with the NYT, ESPN, SI, CBSsports, etc. Thoughtful, well reasoned, fair, accurate reporting is SO last century.

I think the owners are going to experience what happened that fateful day again. The boards have grown and the law of averages should be telling of these types of regretful blurbs. Maybe it should be considered that a shutdown occur after any loss, for a minimal period, to allow cooler heads to prevail and all posters to be able to make rational, constructive thoughts before blasting off to the keyboard.

This doesn't sound like it would meet the site's mission, but it would eliminate such recurrences. Anyway, members should never forget that the power rests with the owners. If this isn't suitable, there are other places to go.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I think the owners are going to experience what happened that fateful day again. The boards have grown and the law of averages should be telling of these types of regretful blurbs. Maybe it should be considered that a shutdown occur after any loss, for a minimal period, to allow cooler heads to prevail and all posters to be able to make rational, constructive thoughts before blasting off to the keyboard.
    While your prediction may be correct, I sort of disagree. I normally get bummed after a Duke loss, but many Duke losses are a bit easier to swallow than the near-loss to Belmont and the losses to VCU and W. Va. were, particularly given how bad Duke looked in those games.