Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fraternity policy

Not sure if this has been posted and/or answered before, but does Krzyzewski have a policy on the players joining fraternities? I know that it used to be allowed at some point, and I've heard rumors about the answer, but what's the actual situation?

This doesn't answer your question at all, but Iciss Tillis was a Pi Phi while she played at Duke. No clue on men's team.

No dice

Mens team players cannot join or live with fraternities, though many are de-facto members of one or another in that they're always around and good friends with the brothers.

players are already in a frat....it's called the DUKE MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM.

I dunno how to say it in greek...

Ross Perkins was in a frat because he joined while he was a manager, before he made the team. But overall, they aren't allowed to.

Don't think there was any such rule in the mid 80s; it must have come sometime afterwards... As I recall, there were a few fraternity members back then, plus some others that always hung around so much they might as well have been members of one frat or another...

Hillary Howard was in a sorority. Mistie Williams was a Zeta. I think they should be allowed to pledge. After all, they want them to be a "normal" student and get the "full college experience"....(snickers)

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    players are already in a frat....it's called the DUKE MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM.

I dunno how to say it in greek...
    Phi Beta Slamma Jamma?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Phi Beta Slamma Jamma?
    Not to be confused with the actual Phi Slama Jama.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Players can be in fraternities, but they cannot pledge. Battier was in one of the black fraternities.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Not to be confused with the actual Phi Slama Jama.
    as an aside, the Glide in his dunking fraternity days is responsible for one of my favorite quotes:

I wanted to make him think first that I was going to dunk it. Then, if he thought that, I would bring it down and pass it. Then I went on and dunked it. Then we were both confused.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    as an aside, the Glide in his dunking fraternity days is responsible for one of my favorite quotes:
    Phi Slama Jama was one of the great entertainments for basketball fans. Wonderful. Like the heyday of UNLV or Loyola Marymount. None of us switched our fandom, but we enjoyed the show.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Players can be in fraternities, but they cannot pledge. Battier was in one of the black fraternities.
    Which black fraternity?? I very very very seriously doubt he pledged

On a side note, how can you be in a frat w/o pledging??

Quote Originally Posted by bludev03 View Post
    Which black fraternity?? I very very very seriously doubt he pledged
    FWIW, according to this alumni list, Shane belongs to Phi Psi, which I think was disbanded at Duke around 2002. (googling...) Yup, 2001 it seems.

FWIW, according to this alumni list, Shane belongs to Phi Psi, which I think was disbanded at Duke around 2002. (googling...) Yup, 2001 it seems.
    Yep, he was in the step show in 2001... which drew quite a large crowd, and bludev3, like I said (you actually quoted it) they CANNOT pledge.

As a brother in Phi Kappa Psi at Duke, I can assure you that this is the first time I've ever heard that Shane was a Phi Psi, and even though it is on the web site linked, I am 99.999% sure it is in error. President Woodrow Wilson - yup. Actor Peter Graves - uh huh. Swimmer Mark Spitz - certainly. Shane Battier? Not likely. I would have loved it if he was.

Omega Phi Psi is/was a black fraternity at Duke. Phi Kappa Psi was not, although it did not discriminate in any way other than being a selective membership house, just as other fraternities are.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Yep, he was in the step show in 2001... which drew quite a large crowd, and bludev3, like I said (you actually quoted it) they CANNOT pledge.
    Umm... Phi Psi is not a black fraternity, I think you're thinking of Omega Psi Phi, which I doubt Shane is in.

Umm... Phi Psi is not a black fraternity, I think you're thinking of Omega Psi Phi, which I doubt Shane is in.
    which one had like three football players in it last year and that was the whole fraternitiy... purple and gold? That is the one I am thinking of...

which one had like three football players in it last year and that was the whole fraternitiy... purple and gold? That is the one I am thinking of...
    I believe those are the colors of Omega Psi Phi.

Yes, the "Que Dogs". Famous Que Dogs include: Shaq, Michael Jordan, Vince Carter, Bill Cosby, Jesse Jackson, Dr. Charles Drew, Charlie Ward, Langston Hughes, Tom Joyner, Steve Harvey, Amhad Rashad, Corliss Williamson, and John Salley.

I don't think Shane would be a Que Dog...but I can see him as an Ice Cold brother of Alpha Phi Alpha!