Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monroe Review

Monroe Review

There is an interesting review of Greg Monroe's perfomance at the McD AA game:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2008mcdonalds002.asp

"Greg Monroe (Georgetown) -- 1 pt, (0-2 fg), 6 reb, 2 stl, 2 blk, 5 to -- Monroe would have to be deemed the biggest dissapointment considering playing time received and hype coming in. He appears to be a guy who peaked at 16 years of age. For someone who has been rated as the number one player in the class for quite a while, 1 point in 20 minutes is a huge disappointment. He was much quicker and more explosive as a sophomore and with an added 30 pounds, no longer can utilize his greatest strength using the dribble to get by opponents after facing up. He lacks intensity, getting beat to the spot consistently by Samuels for rebounds or post position. He doesn't seem to have the intensity or focus to be a dominant player. Granted it is an all star game so not exactly the place to second guess coaching, but Monroe was thoroughly outplayed by Mullens but for some reason received 20 minutes to Mullens 13. Monroe shows nice size, strength and court speed, and with hard work appears to be a player who could possibly develop into a first rounder after 3-4 years at Georgetown."

Took some of the sting out of losing him to GT for me.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Lethargic

Was he sick or something? He seemed lethargic. If he wasn't sick than I think Duke lucked out as he doesn't seem to have the "want to".

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    There is an interesting review of Greg Monroe's perfomance at the McD AA game:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2008mcdonalds002.asp

"Greg Monroe (Georgetown) -- 1 pt, (0-2 fg), 6 reb, 2 stl, 2 blk, 5 to -- Monroe would have to be deemed the biggest dissapointment considering playing time received and hype coming in. He appears to be a guy who peaked at 16 years of age. For someone who has been rated as the number one player in the class for quite a while, 1 point in 20 minutes is a huge disappointment. He was much quicker and more explosive as a sophomore and with an added 30 pounds, no longer can utilize his greatest strength using the dribble to get by opponents after facing up. He lacks intensity, getting beat to the spot consistently by Samuels for rebounds or post position. He doesn't seem to have the intensity or focus to be a dominant player. Granted it is an all star game so not exactly the place to second guess coaching, but Monroe was thoroughly outplayed by Mullens but for some reason received 20 minutes to Mullens 13. Monroe shows nice size, strength and court speed, and with hard work appears to be a player who could possibly develop into a first rounder after 3-4 years at Georgetown."

Took some of the sting out of losing him to GT for me.
    Just think, let's say this analysis is correct (but remember that all-star games are mostly a joke) and he has a weak career. If he had gone to Duke, folks here and elsewhere could be saying a year from nowthat Duke doesn't develop big men and that we need a real big man coach!

He did get hit pretty hard in the eye early on in the game. Not sure if it drew blood or not, but I would say it probably contributed to his poor performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Just think, let's say this analysis is correct (but remember that all-star games are mostly a joke) and he has a weak career. If he had gone to Duke, folks here and elsewhere could be saying a year from nowthat Duke doesn't develop big men and that we need a real big man coach!
    Just what I was thinking, Marc. He would have been labelled as simply "over-rated" or "failed to develop at Duke" and linked with Casey Sanders, Chris Burgess, Shav Randolph, Josh McRoberts, etc.

Getting hit in the eye should have fired him up. When I watched his highlights I wasn't impressed. I thought Czyz looked better, but maybe I'm just being biased.

Elliot Williams (Duke) 10 pts, (4-8 fg) 2 reb, 1 ast, 2 to -- Duke's lone McD's All-American was impressive as he was able to show what a smooth scorer he is. He also displayed a solid one-on-on ability using his handle, something that likely won't develop much at Duke considering their set play, ball control approach. Williams had 10 points in just 14 minutes of play. He is a slasher, and definitely has the tools to be Daniel Ewing-type consistent scorer as a Blue Devil.

Uh...

Set play, ball control? Did they watch Duke this year?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Elliot Williams (Duke) 10 pts, (4-8 fg) 2 reb, 1 ast, 2 to -- Duke's lone McD's All-American was impressive as he was able to show what a smooth scorer he is. He also displayed a solid one-on-on ability using his handle, something that likely won't develop much at Duke considering their set play, ball control approach. Williams had 10 points in just 14 minutes of play. He is a slasher, and definitely has the tools to be Daniel Ewing-type consistent scorer as a Blue Devil.

Uh...

No offense to Daniel Ewing, who had a solid career and a couple years in the NBA, but I'm thinking/hoping that EWill can surpass that level of performance. He seems longer, maybe a little more explosive, perhaps a little more potential as a defender, and somewhat better as a passer/ball handler.

Since we don't have games coming up for several months, I'll boldly predict his career is perhaps midway between Daniel Ewing and Johnny Dawkins.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No offense to Daniel Ewing, who had a solid career and a couple years in the NBA, but I'm thinking/hoping that EWill can surpass that level of performance. He seems longer, maybe a little more explosive, perhaps a little more potential as a defender, and somewhat better as a passer/ball handler.

Since we don't have games coming up for several months, I'll boldly predict his career is perhaps midway between Daniel Ewing and Johnny Dawkins.
    Yea, I can totally see that.

I can see him being at least better than Demarcus Nelson.

I can see him being at least better than Demarcus Nelson.
    EWill will be a very different player than Demarcus. Just one look at his physical build and scoring ability can tell you that. Demark came to campus already physically developed, but his offense needed help (specifically his shot). Getting injured immediately didnt help. EWill seems to be the opposite. He already possesses the skills but needs to develop physically. just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingDevil View Post
    EWill will be a very different player than Demarcus. Just one look at his physical build and scoring ability can tell you that. Demark came to campus already physically developed, but his offense needed help (specifically his shot). Getting injured immediately didnt help. EWill seems to be the opposite. He already possesses the skills but needs to develop physically. just my two cents.

Yea, but I'd take ball skills and ability over physical strength. Look at Stephen Curry...

Yea, but I'd take ball skills and ability over physical strength. Look at Stephen Curry...
    Now that's what I'll take! Let's find us a Stephen Curry and put him in the lineup. If recruiting is an art, then Bob McKillop is Picasso with that find.

This thread is making me laugh by thinking about the threads that existed when Monroe was being recruited by Duke. I remember seeing posts that said if we could just land Monroe, we'd be a lock for the Final Four in 2009. Why so many people continue to talk about how 16 year old's will affect Duke in 3 years is amazing to me.

Personally I want him to be the next Michael Jordan, except without the tarheel business...

No really though, why do we have to try and find comparisons for every recruit tbefore we ever see them in a Duke uniform. I remember Scheyer being compared to Redick before ever playing a game for Duke, Henderson has been compared to Kobe forever, and Zoubek to Aaron Gray (I'm guilty there, but only in the sense that I pointed out that their development was proceeding similarly). Comparing EWill to the guy who K has said was the best player ever to play at Duke, JD, is silly for now. Maybe he is that guy, but we have no way of knowing that, and all this conversation is doing now is creating incredibly high expectations that EWill will NOT meet as a freshman. He may eventually be that type of player, or he may not. Lets wait till we see how he fits in here before trying to evaluate or compare him, please. I understand its the offseason and thats time for wild speculation and optimism, but keeping some perspective and a grip on reality is important too.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    No really though, why do we have to try and find comparisons for every recruit before we ever see them in a Duke uniform. ... keeping some perspective and a grip on reality is important too.
    You mean it is too early to compare Derrick Favors to Elton Brand? Damn.

What about Olek becoming the next Kenny Dennard, who was most often seen OUT of his Duke uniform?

What about Olek becoming the next Kenny Dennard, who was most often seen OUT of his Duke uniform?
    Does he have a head full of curled hair?

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    He did get hit pretty hard in the eye early on in the game. Not sure if it drew blood or not, but I would say it probably contributed to his poor performance.

Good thing getting hit in the eye didn't affect Kyle in that way...It seemed to make him play even harder.

You mean it is too early to compare Derrick Favors to Elton Brand? Damn.
    I was going for Boozer but OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I was going for Boozer but OK.
    I was thinking he would possess the explosiveness of Boozer, the catcher's mitt-like hands of Brand, and the shot blocking abilities of Shelden. And the postseason record of Laettner, of course.

I want Brandon Jennings at Duke just for his 'do.

Uh...

If that's also from nbadraft.net, it's not surprising. They're not the most reputable scouting body out there.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke