Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Out of all this controversy, will a new sheriff in Arizona emerge?

They'll call him Mr. Herb

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Out of all this controversy, will a new sheriff in Arizona emerge?

They'll call him Mr. Herb
    Or as Jason Evans calls it, "Oh no!"

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I tried to find something on the Internet, but the best I could find were offhand comments in response to Hansen articles suggesting that Hansen had reported that there was a fight between the coaches after a game between Arizona and UNLV. Anyone know why Lute is so pissed with Hansen?

A verbal fight or a physical confrontation? Wow, that would be something interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    A verbal fight or a physical confrontation? Wow, that would be something interesting...
    I agree, which is why I ask. DBR's April 2nd "Coaching Carousel" gives us this tease:

"We’ve talked before about Hansen’s suspension when the Arizona-UNLV rivalry was canceled in the light of death threats, which came about after some quotes in a Hansen column which Citizen columnist Corky Calhoun said were not accurate."

Hansen survived at the Daily Star, Calhoun seems to have moved on.

Lute clearly dislikes Hansen, as do many in Tuscon. Inquiring minds ...

Hansen survived at the Daily Star, Calhoun seems to have moved on.
    Into retirement. Corky's got to be pushing 80 now. Hansen is more like 60, but has had a column since at least early 1977, when I first went to Tucson. I suspect he'll survive Lute.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Into retirement. Corky's got to be pushing 80 now. Hansen is more like 60, but has had a column since at least early 1977, when I first went to Tucson. I suspect he'll survive Lute.
    DK, Is Corky the former NBA player?

Any recollection of Hansen's "suspension?"

DK, Is Corky the former NBA player?

Any recollection of Hansen's "suspension?"
    Nope. The sports writer is about 20 years older. I wasn't there for the Lute/Hansen fallout. All I've got is my friend's recollection earlier in the thread, and he says it's all a bit fuzzy for him.

O'Neill is not:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ap/index.html

Lute sounds REALLY I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.y. When asked about O'Neill saying last week he would fulfill the last 2 years of his contract - Lute said he might fulfill the contract, but he won't be on the staff! Better than fiction.

Well, maybe Lute is just making sure Kevin is available for the Marquette job! Such a sweet guy!
    Boy I wish KO would go back to Marquette. They're not smart enough to hire him back.

At least the sleazy crean, the tan man, mr. fake bake, is gone. Peegs is in for a rude surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Boy I wish KO would go back to Marquette. They're not smart enough to hire him back.

At least the sleazy crean, the tan man, mr. fake bake, is gone. Peegs is in for a rude surprise.

Hmmm...tell me more about Crean. Didn't realize he aroused such (negative) passion in some Golden Eagle fans. "fake bake'...that's good stuff.

Thumbs down smoke & mirrors

Totally classless the way he handled leaving. My understanding is he left a voicemail saying he was leaving on the AD's cell phone while AD was traveling to WNIT. Hauled the players out to his house to tell them. Until marquette barely beat a bad Kentucky team in the NCAAs, he won exactly ZERO ncaa games without wade.

Holding that 'crean and crimson' shirt was nauseating. If they had been 'crimson and crean', that would have been bad enough. But, it's not all about Indiana; it's all about Tommy.

He can cry on demand.

He's a major phony. Bilas has a one of the most uncomfortable man crush on him it's very uncomfortable. Crean did an incredible job of putting fannies in the seats. He does a great job of sucking up to the national guys: bilas, forde, decourcy, hoops weiss, seth davis. Has 'em all conned.

Finally, Marquette AD can take back the athletic department. If you weren't in crean's rat pack, you were out ... season tickets taken away, out of a job.

It was brutal.

hey wijoe! Any talk of the carousel turning up Majerus at Marquette? Have to think he'd be a better hire than O'neal.

Crean's Buy Out Package

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hmmm...tell me more about Crean. Didn't realize he aroused such (negative) passion in some Golden Eagle fans. "fake bake'...that's good stuff.
    Wow:
    Under a preliminary deal between Crean and the university, Crean would owe $3 million if he resigns in the first three years of an eight-year contract. The amount lowers to $2 million in years four and five. It would be $1 million the last three years of the deal.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3329922

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post

Crean is not as well thought of at MSU (where he assisted in the late 90s) as one might think either. Many figured he would be the eventual successor to Izzo, but he left bad tastes in the mouths of many around East Lansing.

Sounds like it did not end real well at MU, though.

O'Neill Update

Lute really painted the AD Livengood into a corner, who is now in full damage control mode:

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/colleg...story/10795503

O'Neill is now assistant AD (through June). I'll bet he is not allowed to have contact with the men bball players.

My guess is that O'Neill's job is to contact other Div I ADs to determine if there are any available jobs. O'Neill will have full use of the AD's office to send out letters, make calls, make copies, and anything else that will help him get the h*ll away from Lute and end the embarrassment for the program.

Jennings eligibility?

The latest chapter from Tucson is that their prize incoming signee Brandon Jennings is not yet cleared for eligibility.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8...leared-by-NCAA

From the article:

"The NCAA is requiring Jennings to take the test again as a way to legitimize his score. It is unclear exactly how well Jennings will have to do on his retake to satisfy the NCAA. Sources maintain that Jennings will have two more opportunities to prove his score was legitimate"

Ego

I have to wonder if all of this isn't more about Lute Olsen's ego than anything else...he has/had a health problem which is as likely to have been mental as physical given his age; Lute doesn't inform any of his players or new recruits before leaving; new guy comes in and changes things; new guy still gets teamto the NCAAs but with a different brand of basketball; players who like/are built for the old system want to leave; new guy is seen as your successor...

this was probably as much about Lute telling everyone I'm still the man than anything else...finishing 19-15 isn't bad for a 1st year, 1st time head coach...Lute may have thought O'neill gave the university way too many options in the event of a second health issue.

While he has obviously given a great deal to the university, the whole thing looks sleezy on Lute Olsen's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    finishing 19-15 isn't bad for a 1st year, 1st time head coach...
    First-time head coach except for Marquette, Northwestern, Tennessee, the Toronto Raptors, Marycrest College and North County Community College. Kevin's ego played a role in this little soap opera as well.
    Last edited by dkbaseball; 05-22-2008 at 10:20 AM.