Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. I Feel a Double Coming...

Duke was the first school in NCAA history to send both the men's and women's hoops teams to the national title game. Of course, both teams lost; the men lost to UCONN and the women lost to Purdue. Five years later, UCONN pulled it off. Both the men and women won the hoops national title for the first time in NCAA history.

As much as I try to resist the thought, I feel in my gut that UNC will be the third school to send both men and women to the final, and even worse, will be only the 2nd school to pull off a hoops double national titles.

Guaranteed to make life in the Triangle twice as bad between April and November...if it happens.

Makes me a little sick...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Duke was the first school in NCAA history to send both the men's and women's hoops teams to the national title game. Of course, both teams lost; the men lost to UCONN and the women lost to Purdue. Five years later, UCONN pulled it off. Both the men and women won the hoops national title for the first time in NCAA history.

As much as I try to resist the thought, I feel in my gut that UNC will be the third school to send both men and women to the final, and even worse, will be only the 2nd school to pull off a hoops double national titles.

Guaranteed to make life in the Triangle twice as bad between April and November...if it happens.
    ... just to think about it, but I am terribly afraid you are right. Do you think we could construct a very high wall between Durham and Chapel Hill before this happens?
    DukeDevilDeb

3. Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    ... just to think about it, but I am terribly afraid you are right. Do you think we could construct a very high wall between Durham and Chapel Hill before this happens?
    Ever since Kansas beat Kansas St in the regular season by a ridiculous number, I felt that Kansas was the team to beat. They have great size, talent, balance, coaching - the whole package. But UNC in the tourney has become scary. Other than a few unforced turnovers, it seems they can do nothing wrong. Simply put, the entire team is in a zone and are displaying incredible swagger.

For the women, their rally against L'ville was incredible. It seems that as long as they have Larkins and Pringle in the game, they simply can not lose. It's almost as if the ghost of Latta is willing them on. Scary.

I pray the NCAA will award Ivory Latta another game of eligibility to ensure the Lady Heels fall short, once again.

I'm a UNC fan and would love to see this. However, while the teams on the men's side seem pretty equal (which I guess would give UNC a 25% chance of winning), UConn on the women's side seems like the prohibitive favorite. Plus, UNC will have to beat LSU in New Orleans just to get to the women's Final Four.

I think UNC will lose in the Final Four to Tennesse, but i dont think anyone in the country can beat UConn at this point... fear not the baby blue ladies will be watching the title game on TV. I fear that the men, however, will give Franklin St a reason to celebrate a week from tomorrow...

The women are a long shot, in my opinion, especially with Hatchell as their coach. The men have a much better chance, as much as it pains me to admit, though they'll certainly be challenged.

Actually, Duke was the second school to have both its men's and women's teams reach the Final Four in the same season.

Georgia did it in 1983.

That is too revolting to even contemplate.

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    That is too revolting to even contemplate.
    Breathe, y'all. The only double this year will be Manchester United winning the Premiership and the Champions League.

UCLA will take care of Carolina. Love is better than Hansbrough, and Collison is a lot better than Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Actually, Duke was the second school to have both its men's and women's teams reach the Final Four in the same season.

Georgia did it in 1983.
    I was about to say the same thing, but the original post said "Duke was the first school in NCAA history to send both the men's and women's hoops teams to the national title game." This is true; Georgia's teams both lost in the semifinals.

Since then, there's been frequent Final Four dipping: Oklahoma in 2002, Texas in 2003, Connecticut in 2004, Michigan State in 2005, LSU in 2006. But of those 10 teams, only four even made it to the finals: Oklahoma women, UConn men, UConn women, and Michigan State women.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    UCLA will take care of Carolina. Love is better than Hansbrough, and Collison is a lot better than Lawson.
    That's nice to hear, but this should be a moot point. Kansas will take care of Carolina.

I haven't followed the women all that closely this year but aren't uconn and tennessee better regarded, in general, this season than unc?

13. Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Georgia did it in 1983.
    As another poster already indicated, please note that my original post said that Duke was the first to send both men and women to the title game, not to the FF.

Well, you won't have to worry about that. If this comes to pass, the apocalypse won't be too far behind.

15. Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    I haven't followed the women all that closely this year but aren't uconn and tennessee better regarded, in general, this season than unc?
    UCONN is probably considered the favorite. They have has consistently stronger play than the other remaining schools. Tenn and UNC have shown some vulnerability at times (UNC vs L'villing in tourney), however, both are certainly considered to have a legit shot at winning the whole thing as well.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I pray the NCAA will award Ivory Latta another game of eligibility to ensure the Lady Heels fall short, once again.
    The irony in this statement is incredible. LOL! I can remember the small Latta falling down after missing that last shot...

And oh yeah - I'm rooting for Shelden's girl! Why doesn't Candace Parker have a calender out yet?

18. A Double Is Now Impossible

UNC women down. One down. One to go.

LSU women perform Tar Heel-ectomy

While we're all waiting around on the Kansas men, the LSU women have struck prior to the FF. Sylvia Fowles' brilliant career continues.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Awesome!